Anyone installed an internal TPMS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazos609

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an internal TPMS? I know I would have the upfront labor cost of having the sensors installed but I would have the same costs to install metal valve stems to use with an external TPMS.

Yes, Doran.

Frt is a tight fit with most tire changers, you have to follow the Doran instructions carefully. Rr no problem.

Another cost is replacing the sensors when the batteries die.

-Steve

I had a bike with internal TPMS. It worked okay, but if you have a monitor flake or battery die, you pretty much are without TPMS for that wheel until the next tire change. At best, you're replacing batteries every time you replace tires to decrease the chance of a dead battery. I much prefer my FOBO.

I ordered a FOBO Bike. I should receive it tomorrow (Thursday). I am very excited about it! They will give you a $20 discount on any product if you send them an email and tell them that you belong to FJRForum.com and you are part of the Group Buy. I paid $95 for the two TMPS caps and the T-Valves. I ordered Black and Black for the colors. You can also order Silver.

The FOBO Car includes a "head unit". The FOBO Bike uses your smartphone as the head unit. From my understanding, your smartphone beeps and shows a notification if you have low tire pressure. If you want to check your tire pressure before a ride or at a stop, you can simply open the app. Bill, am I correct on the functionality?

Absolutely Correct On The app Functionality. If you leave the app running in the background it will monitor as you ride. I keep the app from running most of the time when I'm not riding.

Absolutely Correct On The app Functionality. If you leave the app running in the background it will monitor as you ride. I keep the app from running most of the time when I'm not riding.
any phone battery drain issues, leaving the app running ??

thanks !!

old c14 had the tpms, enjoyed them. looking to add something to the fjr

Birdman, where did you order this from? Fobo web site?

I ordered it directly from the FOBO website: https://my-fobo.com/Product . They do NOT have an order form. You have to send them an email. Then, they will send you a PayPay payment address. In PayPal, you choose "Pay or Send Money" then "Pay for Goods or Services", which is covered by PayPal protection for buyers. Once you pay with PayPal, FOBO sends out the product. FOBO has been very responsive to my emails. In addition, they sent out the product very quickly and gave me a tracking number. I feel very confident working with this business.

Remember, they will give you a $20 discount on any of their kits if you mention that you are part of the Group Buy. The post that I read said that they gave him the FOBO Bike without the T-Valves for $79. If you want the kit that provides the head unit (FOBO Tire), you can get it for $159. I wanted the FOBO Bike with T-Valves in addition so I happily paid $95.

Here is the email that I sent out initially:

On 26 Nov 2016, at 6:07 AM, <clip> wrote:

Does the FOBO Bike Black T-Valves fit on a 2015 FJR1300A? If so, I would like to participate in the Group Buy. I belong to the ST-Owners.com forum. I was told that we can purchase a combo deal for $95. I would like to purchase this combo deal for $95 as part of the Group Buy:

* FOBO Bike Black Combo Deal Set + 2 Black T-Valves

How do I purchase this Group Buy deal?

Thank you!
<clip>
Here is the first response:

Sent: Friday, November 25, 2016 at 6:17 PM
To: <clip>
Subject: Re: FOBO: Feedback [Enquiries]

Dear Sir,

Thanks for contacting us.
Please take note, T-valves can fit on your bike but you have to ensure the clearance of T-valve installed with sensor from other part of the bike.
Follow the below link for T-valve and sensor dimensions:

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBike#specification

Yes, we can offer you 1 FOBO Bike set + 2 T-valves at the price of USD 95. We will send you PayPal link for the payment and upon payment confirmation we will process the shipment.

Kindly provide the below information:

Name:
Address:
Contact number:
FOBO bike colour : Black or Silver
T-valve colour: Black or silver

Let us know if you are ok with it so that we can arrange PayPal link for you. Please provide your PayPal email.

Best regards,

Sameer Thakur

Shortly after I paid the PayPal payment request, I got this email:

Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 at 2:24 AM
To: <clip>
Subject: E-invoice for your order #EM2017112800280

Dear <clip>,

We are pleased to inform you that your order has been shipped. Please find your E-invoice in the attachment.

Tracking number:Fedex- 6818 0254 3972

I can't wait to install the TPMS and app. It looks simple to do. I will have the T-values installed when I get my tires changed. I already have 6,000 miles on my new bike. I live in Anthem, Arizona (northern suburb of Phoenix). We ride year round so I will probably need new tires in the Spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed a tireguard system in my 2015 at the first tire change. It has internal sensors and comes complete with the correct 90 degree metal valve stems. It is wireless and a breeze to install. I ran one in a Goldwing for 6 years and this one has been in for 2 years. Sensor batteries will likely last longer than the bike. Always works. Angeled valves make adding air, if ever needed, very easy. Battery in control unit easily changed every 4 to 5 years for 2 bucks, 2 minutes.

Correct on fobo. I use it to check daily. On trips I leave it on in the background. It will alert on whatever pressure level I specify. It monitors and alerts on temps too. I used t valves from wingstuff as the deal wasn't offered when I purchased from fobo. The fobo equipped tires hold air just like they did before it was installed. In the extremely unlikely event of a leak, it'd alert me to a pressure drop before the tire got too low to be safe, just like it would for any other leak. Zero downside. It's the best safety mod for this daily rider besides a helmet. But it'd be worth the price just for the convenience. I would have gone internal if this wasn't available. If you don't use a smartphone, an older system with a dedicated monitor is probably for you.

Yep. Been running internal TPMS system (the SmarTire system - see ancient archeological references for info :) for 10+ years now. Only had to change out the sensors (with integral non-replaceable batteries) once.

I googled Smartire TPMS. They no longer offer motorcycle products (https://www.smartire.com/motorcycles). I googled TireGard and found the product with a head unit for $150. Nice! I also read really good things about the Doran TPMS.

I think that we all agree on one thing. Just like Bill Lumberg said, a TPMS system is worth the money for your bike. It is "the best safety mod ... besides a helmet".

Now, if I can just get that damn turn signal to turn off automatically...

Doran cons, see my post #2

Pros -

Waterproof head unit which is bike powered, always on (if you want to wire it that way), with real time alerts.

Simple to install and setup. Clearance of external sensor no problem on FJR frt wheel.

(I went internal for cleaner look. May regret it, will see)

Best feature is the warning lamp, but replace the OEM with something brighter.

I have head unit mounted under seat, and only warning lamp on 'dashboard'. No clutter, no one can fool with head unit.

Red lamp = stop now. Easy peasy!

A little off from the OP's first post but just a thought. Some newer Garmin GPS' offer built in TPMS wherein all you need to add is the external sensors. If any here might be considering a new GPS at some point, like in maybe asking Santa?, that might be a more cost effective solution.

FedEx tried to deliver my FOBO Bike on Wednesday, but we weren't home. We signed the FedEx release form and the package was delivered on Thursday. I was so busy that I just got a chance to install it tonight. It was simple to install. I am very pleased with it. The FOBO Bike comes with two sensors, two sets of "lock rings", two wrench "keys", an extra set of batteries for the sensors, a keychain, and -- get this -- two metal valves. I purchased the two T-valves to go with the system. I'm going to have the T-valves installed with my next tire replacements. I'm going to give the metal valves to my buddy for his bike. The sensors were simply to install, including the "lock rings". The app was a quick download from the Google Play store (free app). I opened the app and entered my email address. I confirmed the address by clicking on their "activation" email. Then, I added a picture of my FJR and set the ideal air pressure. That's it -- done! The app is a "low power usage" according to their manual. I am going to run the app before I ride my bike to check the air pressure and then I am going to leave it running as a background app while I ride. Then, I am going to close the app completely when I get home. I am very happy with my $95 total purchase!

Package with two sets of valves -- a free set of metal valves and the T-valves that I purchased with the package

fobo1.jpg

Opened package -- well packed

fobo2.jpg

Everything out of the box

fobo3.jpg

Free metal valves -- looks like it is a quality build

fobo4.jpg

Screenshot of my app running showing my tires are low. I will kick them up to 42 psi tomorrow (ideal pressure according to the FJR manual)

fobo5.jpg

Sensor installed on my front tire

fobo6.jpg

FOBO User's Manual

https://www.rickbird.com/photos/FOBO_Bike_User_Guide_ver2.6.pdf

Except, how do you check your phone while actually riding? My phone is either in my tank bag or my pocket. Wouldn't know it was warning me of a low tire until my tire was flat.

It gives you an audible alarm in your helmet. If you have no comms in your helmet and don't have a smartphone visible when you ride, something from the Sears and Roebuck catalog would probably be better. :)