Hostage of Photobucket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
Since I signed up on the forum I've used Photobucket for free. A while back I saw it said I was reaching the limit for free hosting. Then all of a sudden I was at 100%. I deleted several hundred photos, still at 100%. They must have lowered their data limit. Could never delete enough without keeping what I wanted so I just quit using it.

Now I tried to get on and it says my account is "Restricted." This with maybe 200 less pics than a few years ago when it wasn't restricted. Finally, now all of the photos I've ever posted up this site for 7+ years won't appear. I won't complain too bad b/c I never paid but their retroactively shutting shit down is pretty frustrating.

That is strange and frustrating. I have almost exclusively used photobucket in the past to host online photos. My account quota reached 93% full this year, so I have now shifted to Google photos, although I am having trouble with some sizing compatibility between Google Photos and my blog (which is also Google hosted - go figure).

I left the photobucket account untouched and it is still at 93%. I will have to keep an eye on it in the near future.

Does anyone use Flickr? I am fed up with Photobucket ads, and the fact that it behaves differently if viewed in IE, Chrome, or Safari.

Photobucket sucks, but I've been using it for motorcycle stuff, i.e. hosting photos I post on forums. I use Flickr for everything else, and have for years. I'm probably going to dump Photobucket when my new laptop arrives and just stick with Flickr since I've got an unlimited account and it's much faster with zero ads.

I've been using Flickr since Google went from Picasa to Google Photos and I couldn't get Google Photos to work for posting here, been satisfied with it so far.

Since I signed up on the forum I've used Photobucket for free. A while back I saw it said I was reaching the limit for free hosting. Then all of a sudden I was at 100%. I deleted several hundred photos, still at 100%. They must have lowered their data limit. Could never delete enough without keeping what I wanted so I just quit using it.
Now I tried to get on and it says my account is "Restricted." This with maybe 200 less pics than a few years ago when it wasn't restricted. Finally, now all of the photos I've ever posted up this site for 7+ years won't appear. I won't complain too bad b/c I never paid but their retroactively shutting shit down is pretty frustrating.
Thank goodness you have the originals and a local backup.

I don't move that many photos personally (and delete old ones when they no longer need sharing) so have never hit the limit. I was using SmugMug for a couple of years and it's really good but I don't make money off the process so can't justify paying someone without expectation of at least breaking even.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a subscriber. I have none of these problems. I use the photos on this and several other online forums. It's worth a couple bucks a month to me. YMMV

Use a different email address and create a different PB account. Unless it pissed you off and you're sick of it. So far my account has been fine, but I don't load that many pictures. No idea WTH restricted means. I do know they will delete photos that are "unacceptable."

Use a different email address and create a different PB account. Unless it pissed you off and you're sick of it. So far my account has been fine, but I don't load that many pictures. No idea WTH restricted means. I do know they will delete photos that are "unacceptable."
I don't use it much either and doubt if I'll ever approach the limit. But it's been so slow lately that it's agonizing. I sometimes won't bother with a photo because by the time I get it loaded to photobucket it just wasn't worth the time.

I'm not surprised they delete photos that are unacceptable and don't blame them. It's their site; they make the rules.

That is strange and frustrating. I have almost exclusively used photobucket in the past to host online photos. My account quota reached 93% full this year, so I have now shifted to Google photos, although I am having trouble with some sizing compatibility between Google Photos and my blog (which is also Google hosted - go figure).
I left the photobucket account untouched and it is still at 93%. I will have to keep an eye on it in the near future.
I use Google photos also, but have become very frustrated when trying to get a url for a picture that this forum likes. What am I doing wrong?

Leo

I have been using Photobucket for a long time. They allow up to 11 GB free, and I am at only 51% (5.6 GB). I keep resized sized photos on that site not exceeding 1080 pixels, because I mainly use it to link to forum posts where larger images are useless anyway. I have other backup options for full resolution photos. If you have exceeded 11 GB you must be using this as a general photo backup service of high resolution photos, otherwise, that is a lot of space for resized images.

I've had problems with Photobucket for awhile. Lately I had (and still have) issues with using their log on. They changed their upload page recently ....which wasn't working with my phone. I sent them a note about each, and recieved a robot reply. Twice. 5 days later I got a note from a human saying they are aware of the problems and are trying to fix it....

The ads are ridiculous...close one and it just pops back if you open another page.....same damn ad too.

I use Flickr too, but their Mobil app kinda sucks....and it won't give me a direct link to a photo...

Really, for getting this service for free you'd figure it work better.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched from flickr to photobucket, but I don't remember why. I also hit the storage limit a while back, deleted over half of my pics but the usage never dropped significantly.

I've had problems with Photobucket for awhile. Lately I had (and still have) issues with using their log on. They changed their upload page recently ....which wasn't working with my phone. I sent them a note about each, and recieved a robot reply. Twice. 5 days later I got a note from a human saying they are aware of the problems and are trying to fix it....The ads are ridiculous...close one and it just pops back if you open another page.....same damn ad too.

I use Flickr too, but their Mobil app kinda sucks....and it won't give me a direct link to a photo...

Really, for getting this service for free you'd figure it work better.... ;)
This! I've been trying for the past couple of days trying to use Photobucket, with multiple attempts to log on (both PC and ipad), finally getting to my Library, only to get kicked back out to the login page when I try to upload something. Glad I'm not the only one. Switching to Flicker or something else, life's too short to deal with lame websites.

Well, I hadn't had any problems with Photobucket until today. First it said there was no data connection, then forced me to sign in, and said my sign on failed. I uninstalled the app and reistalled it. Sometimes that fixes stuff. Nope. Now it just tells me my sign in failed.

I sent them an email. Let's see if they have any answers. Dammit!!