Bread run into the sun.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
Due to family health issues, I'd not been on the bike for a few weeks. So it was a nice feel to get back on it when, as She drove off to do whatever it was She drove off to do, She said "Goodbye, and we need some bread".

Those of you who are married will know that this translates as "You are going to buy some bread". Who am I to argue?

So, on the bike to do the mile-and-a-half to the group of shops that have the bakery. I buy the bread, back to the bike, pop the loaf into a pannier. Then look up at the sky. It's totally cloudless, varying in its blue, hovering on that smooth pale blue I associate with freezing weather. I'm parked on a rooftop car park, this is the view from the bike.

All these pictures are stills from the video camera I happened to have with me, so the quality isn't as good as I'd like, but still ...

(Click on any image to get the original still frame)

As I leave the shopping area, I should turn left to go home, but I turn right - well, She is out, so doesn't expect me home soon.

And away

Soon we're out of the built-up area (that flying saucer on the top of the tree is a mark on my screen, uncleared from something hitting it weeks ago).

I'm not on my own on the road, including hazards such as a hedge-trimming tractor, more of that later.

Once by the tractor, we can pass cars ...

... and we can start to enjoy ourselves.

The sign said bends ahead, the road says SLOW. We take notice of one and ignore the other ;) ...

.. and find we are following ourselves.

That lorry pulling out could be hiding ...

... a car pulling out to go in front of me.

I'm already braking hard, but he sees me and stops.

I continue to play "follow-my-leader"

but not into the edge of the road - yes, that sun is bright behind.

We turn into a village starting the last half of the little trip

and now that sun is in front.

Occasionally I have to shade my eyes with my left hand or I literally can't see the road.

The contrast light to shade is extreme.

But, when we can see we can overtake.

Round the bend ...

... and into the sun

More contrast

and traffic

which we go by

when we can

I think the road goes round to the right

It does, but I have shade my eyes again

Riding uphill, the sun's even lower

Still a little colour on the trees

when they're not silhouettes.

There's no escaping the sun

but I'm still enjoying myself

Almost a tunnel of trees

More autumnal colours

Oh yes, there's that tractor again, approaching a blind bend, double white lines

which we carefully overtake

Safety round the bend

Last part of the "nice" road

And into the built-up area

and into the sun again

To complete the loop, we pass that first junction where we should have turned left home but turned right.

That run was just what the doctor ordered. It's rare to see such brilliant sun and such a blue sky this late in November, really beautiful, but the time of year does put that low sun very low - this started around 1:30 in the afternoon, took 45 or 50 minutes.

Hope you enjoyed the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you make home before her? Looked like a nice little putt!
Oh, yes, plenty of time. She will have guessed what I would do, anyway.
Were you chasing that UFO for the entire ride?
I was. As mentioned before the 4th picture, I'd failed to remove it from my screen before setting out.
Very unique ride report. I like it, a new style! +10
It's the best I can do, typing with one finger of one hand while I hold an ice-pack to my face, see this post.
For anyone who's interested, the videos from which the pics were taken are available to view here.

"And into the built-up area" SHEESH!
biggrinsmiley.gif

1_M0280867_008.jpg

"And into the built-up area" SHEESH!
biggrinsmiley.gif
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. What I meant to say was "Into the 40 mph zone, and from here on in there's little of interest to your average (or even above average) motorcyclist". But I was typing with one finger of one hand while holding an ice-pack to my face, and that's what came out ...

That was fun. One day I shall like to ride in the UK. If that happens, I hope I can remember to stay on the correct side of the road!!!

Fun ride report, thanks for taking us around your 'hood. When it comes out, we've got the same low winter sun in the PNW...makes for a lot of hand waving!

--G

Thanks for the report. Did you pack an ice pack in your helmet? Ouch.
No need for the ice pack in the helmet, the ride was on Tuesday, jaw-drilling on Friday. The anaesthetic used was excellent, but the vibration felt like my skull was held hard against a high-revving HD fuel tank
sad.png

Even so, with the air temperature at around 5C (41F) I could have just opened my visor
wink.png

Thanks for the ride along, I sure miss riding there, we lived in Weybridge, took trips down and back to Goodwood via the A285/6. Don't miss the Waitrose lorries though, can't believe they fit on those roads!

Latest posts