Neutral light on 05 not working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelstdm

Reaction score
Hi, the neutral light on my 05 is not working. i have seen the bulb light up so I assume that is ok. The neutral switch is OK as engine will not start if in gear also the accessory box solenoid operates when out in neutral. every else works fin screen, fan motor etc. I can seem to find when the bulb is earthed ? Could it be the a starting cut off relay fault as sometime when I was plugging the relay in the bulb lit.

When you've seen the light on, is it when you first turn on the ignition, and is it consistent? If it's intermittent, it could be a poor connector somewhere. Its wires are a brown/red that goes to the windscreen system, and a green that goes to the cut-off relay. Both go through connectors.

It came on when I plugged cut out relay back in and stayed on until I turned engine off. If I understand it correctly the + is permanent (vis ignition) and the negitive is switched from neutral switch via cut off relay.

Thanks

Paul

Just had a quick look on wiring diagram and say Br/R goes to fan motor ?

It came on when I plugged cut out relay back in and stayed on until I turned engine off. If I understand it correctly the + is permanent (vis ignition) and the negitive is switched from neutral switch via cut off relay.
Thanks

Paul

Just had a quick look on wiring diagram and say Br/R goes to fan motor ?
Your 1st post implied the light would not come on "is not working", your second that it doesn't turn off "stayed on until...".

According to the wiring diagram I have (Haynes, UK, 2005), the positive is a brown wire with red tracer that comes from the windscreen drive system, the negative is a light green wire that comes from the cut-off relay.

If the light stays on all the time, that implies the neutral switch is on all the time, or there's a short to ground on the pale blue wire to it (that also goes to the accessory box solenoid as a pale blue/white wire). Since you can't start in gear, that implies a short between the green wire and ground, this is the only way the neutral light would stay on and the accessory box won't open when in gear.