Rear Wheel not spinning when in main stand with engine turned on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cool79

Reaction score
Recently, I found out that my rear wheel is not spinning when I was warming up my bike. is it normal? It used to spin everytime when I warm it up.

I had just changed the engine oil and the gear oil.

I have seen people that worry if it does spin. This one is a first for me. I'd assume your bike is fine.

I have seen people that worry if it does spin. This one is a first for me. I'd assume your bike is fine.
Exactly! The OP should be very happy about this development....it significantly reduces his risk for Wimpy Kickstand Syndrome. WKS is second only to turn-signal-left-on-itis as the most serious of FJR issues.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
it's cause I bought it 1st hand and it spin, hence i am assuming that is normal, when it doesn't spin. I get worried. haha

Exactly! The OP should be very happy about this development....it significantly reduces his risk for Wimpy Kickstand Syndrome. WKS is second only to turn-signal-left-on-itis as the most serious of FJR issues.
rolleyes.gif
my bet is, after my break in, the wheel spinning reduced to almost 0. Will fire it up again when it's cold engine.

Just check there's no sign of the brake binding, the lever is known to get tight if its shaft is not cleaned/lubricated occasionally.

Do you know why the rear wheel spins in neutral to begin with?

Knowing that might help you understand whether it is something to be concerned with or not. (hint: It's not)

Cool79 asked a valid question. Not everyone is privy to the inner workings of the FJR transmission. Not everyone that rides a motorcycle is a mechanic. Some folks don't understand how everything works. Just answer the question ... or move on. No need to ridicule and be-little someone because you happen to know it all.

For the record Cool79...I believe your fine.

Well said! I'm not the OP, but I thank you.

You know, some thought they were born with inner knowledge of FJR so they jumped on every chance they get... :)

Cool79 asked a valid question. Not everyone is privy to the inner workings of the FJR transmission. Not everyone that rides a motorcycle is a mechanic. Some folks don't understand how everything works. Just answer the question ... or move on. No need to ridicule and be-little someone because you happen to know it all.
For the record Cool79...I believe your fine.

Just answer the question ... or move on.
I think that was to me..... If so, no thank you...
no.gif

I'll go with another option! One of my favorite rules/principles is #6 and it's actually one of the original 7 drafted by Warchild since the forum started in 2005.

6. Those who are easily offended should proceed with caution. Posts in this forum may or may not contain adult language/themes. No whiney-gash crying about them allowed. Deal with it.

Granted this subject hasn't been talked about MANY3 times...it has been talked about multiple times before. And if you read the linked page I put up...it hits the answer as well as highlight other previous old discussion around the point. And as usual, their question did get directly answered in short order by several folks that like to play nice cop.

Smooches.

Well, nobody rose to my trolled question about why the rear wheel spins when on the center stand and the bike is in neutral. Maybe because of the whiny shit that happened right after it? So I'll jump in and answer my own question so that the next time someone searches on this, maybe they'll get the answer.

When the bike is in neutral on the center stand the clutch is fully engaged (unless you are pulling in the lever) so the input side of the transmission is directly connected to the running engine. The bike is in neutral which slides the input and output halves of the transmission to a state where the gears are disengaged with each other, but... the gears are immersed in the engine's oil, so the relatively quickly spinning gear shaft on the input side churns up the oil that is in the transmission, which creates a very loose fluid coupling to the adjacent stationary output gear shaft, which is directly connected through the drive shaft to the rear wheel.

If the oil were less viscous it may not couple as well (mentioned earlier), Warm oil is always less vicious, so you may not see the phenomenon on a warm engine.

If there were some slight mechanical drag on the rear wheel, it may not spin even with the same amount of fluid coupling. (also previously mention)

In the grand scheme of things, this is a byproduct of the design, and not really intentional, so whether the wheel spins or not is not particularly important, but it could be an indicator of some other situation which could be important (like binding brakes, etc.).

That should be clear as mud.

... but it could be an indicator of some other situation which could be important (like binding brakes, etc.)...
... a possibility suggested in post #7 above. But cool79 hasn't reported back with any further information on his bike's behaviour, which makes any such speculation moot.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Fred W" data-cid="1349212" data-time="1481319804"><p>

Well, nobody rose to my trolled question about why the rear wheel spins when on the center stand and the bike is in neutral. Maybe because of the whiny shit that happened right after it? So I'll jump in and answer my own question so that the next time someone searches on this, maybe they'll get the answer.<br />

<br />

When the bike is in neutral on the center stand the clutch is fully engaged (unless you are pulling in the lever) so the input side of the transmission is directly connected to the running engine. The bike is in neutral which slides the input and output halves of the transmission to a state where the gears are disengaged with each other, but... the gears are immersed in the engine's oil, so the relatively quickly spinning gear shaft on the input side churns up the oil that is in the transmission, which creates a very loose fluid coupling to the adjacent stationary output gear shaft, which is directly connected through the drive shaft to the rear wheel. <br />

<br />

If the oil were less viscous it may not couple as well (mentioned earlier), Warm oil is always less vicious, so you may not see the phenomenon on a warm engine.<br />

<br />

If there were some slight mechanical drag on the rear wheel, it may not spin even with the same amount of fluid coupling. (also previously mention)<br />

<br />

In the grand scheme of things, this is a byproduct of the design, and not really intentional, so whether the wheel spins or not is not particularly important, but it could be an indicator of some other situation which could be important (like binding brakes, etc.).<br />

<br />

That should be clear as mud.</p></blockquote>

It was actually very clear, thank you! And I'll admit that I did not know that, so thanks for sharing. It makes perfect sense now.

One question. If the rear wheel spins backwards, does that mean I'm in the Southern Hemisphere?