Kinzua Bridge State Park.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mech 1 twa

Reaction score
Has anyone been to Kinzua State Park in Pa. ? I was there for the second time this fall, last time 10 years ago.

Its a railroad bridge that was half way knocked over by a tornado in 2001. 600 hundred foot span is still there, 300 feet high.

It has a new visitor center and you can walk out on bridge now, great view. North-central PA. the boonies. RT 6 and 219 about 5 miles from there.

Check it out, well worth a visit. Nice pictures on the website.

I remember seeing the bridge when it was still intact and then a few years ago we rode the FJR through the area and stopped to walk out to the end of the south (?) side of the trestle remains. Very cool, and some of the trestle wreckage was still visible on the valley floor below.

Been there a number of times starting in the 60's. I remember running across that bridge as a kid, Mom wasn't too happy about it
smile.png

Good video:

Very nice video. I would like to have seen it before tornado.

Did you grow up in that area ? That"s a long run across that bridge. I don't like heights.

Last day I was there I was the only person on bridge for 10 mins. New visitor center is very nice. Interactive things, video of history of bridge.

Yes!! Beautiful area!!! I have been there the past couple years. Last time was this summer- in June. The visitors center wasn't complete/open yet.

I'll probably head back there again next year. It's just down the road from where I worked for a few years- so I try to return to visit an old friend and her growing family.

Of course, I make a bike trip out of it. Lol.

That's a good video. I've been there quite a few times growing up. Probably, late sixties the first time I remember visiting. My parents grew up near Farmers Valley about 20 miles north of there where I spent summers on my Grandfather's dairy farm. Unfortunately I don't get to ride the bike up there I always have to take the family by car. There are lots of good roads between here and there too. We'll have to stop at the new visitor's center next time through.

I was out there on the FJR in June with some friends. The walkout on the remaining bridge section was well done and even has a glass section that you can stand on and look down to see the trestle construction and height. I don't think the visitor centre was open while we there. Good roads in that area as well if I remember correctly.

I was just there in later July. Visitors center was open and quite interesting. I'll try to post up pics later today when I get home from work.

I was out there on the FJR in June with some friends. The walkout on the remaining bridge section was well done and even has a glass section that you can stand on and look down to see the trestle construction and height. I don't think the visitor centre was open while we there. Good roads in that area as well if I remember correctly.
I was there in June! June 17 around the noon time to be exact. Lol.

And I remember another FJR pulling in as I was about to leave. With 2 other bikes? Sport tourers of some sort, maybe. Maybe a wing? I do remember they didn't park on the concrete slab labeled motorcycle parking. Lol.

That'd be kinda freaky......

(And no, I didn't go and say hi. Maybe I should have.....)

I was there in Sept. 4 day vacation, I was staying in Clearfield south of there. Choose a central location so I could ride to Altoona, Johnstown areas. Roads are pretty good around there, to much construction in places. Road BACK roads as much as posible, less traffic and issues.

Went to Horse shoe curve in Altoona that's ok if you are into trains. Its worth seeing also.

I was riding my Silverwing scooter. 740 miles in 4 days. Weather was mostly good, never got wet.

FJRfarrier, I was there June 15th with my blue FJR and a ST1100, St1300, and a BMW R1200rt. Wrong day!
wait. crap. yes, June 15th. a Wednesday. the photos I was looking at had the "upload date" - not the "taken on date".

It had to have been you and your group.....

Temporary motorcycle parking in the gravel parking lot. (Visitor center was still under construction)

IMG_7275_zpsp4isriwz.jpg

view from under the bridge.... through the structure.

IMG_7256_zpseolieyd3.jpg

looking down 300 feet...

IMG_7234_zpsx9u7xrrn.jpg

tornado destruction from 2003....

IMG_7229_zpsjzurppdo.jpg

Very nice video. I would like to have seen it before tornado.
Did you grow up in that area ? That"s a long run across that bridge. I don't like heights.

Last day I was there I was the only person on bridge for 10 mins. New visitor center is very nice. Interactive things, video of history of bridge.
I grew up in a little town called Armagh about 100 or so miles south of Kinzua. We always did road trips, still do whenever I make it back that way. Don't forget a side trip to the Straub Brewery and the famous "Eternal Tap" when in northern PA

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of pics from July.

P7160036_zpsbbvnhoje.jpg

P7160035_zpshqmho2gj.jpg

P7160027_zpsyh0zgx1r.jpg

P7160034_zpsm4hdnzfl.jpg

The visitor's center was really cool with lots of background about the area. Wish I'd taken the time to go see this structure years ago before the destruction occurred.

Was talking to a couple of friends this past weekend and the Flight 93 memorial came up. I mentioned this and also Johnstown and it looks like we may have a destination ride come next year.
bike.gif
Thanks for the posts.