A Look Back: 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRfarrier

Reaction score
2016!!! It's almost over!!! Where did the year go???

Well let's review....

January 2016. Such a beautiful month! lol. In reality though, we managed to have a pretty decent winter. Way above normal temps, and less than normal snowfall, throughout the entire season. January 30th was the IMShow in Cleveland. Father daughter date.
1_zpsi4l3akue.jpg

The next day was a day to get the bike out of my shed and move it to the mechanic's shop (Dad's garage). Of course, that translates to "take it for a long ride".
2_zpsqfskvogk.jpg

February rolls around with more decent winter weather. This winter- I also had a list of mods and farkles for the bike. One being additional rear lights. Admore Lighting Inc. sidecase lights- LED and bi-color.
3_zpsy7ud4zwn.jpg

After buttoning up the bike from that, and to roll test on another farkle... it was time for a ride. Rode down to the ski slope, which was being skied on, for some fun photo shots.
4_zpsbfvhgdin.jpg

March comes into view with some more beautiful weather. This time last year- I shoveled 11 inches of snow off my grass to get to the bike after 9 long weeks. This year- the bike hasnt ever really been stored for longer than a couple weeks. And that's mostly just personal preference and free time availabilty.

Extrememarine comes down for a spring shopping trip to Columbus. And we meet up with Geek for lunch.
5_zpshzn3hers.jpg

After that, I finally put the effort into getting the last of the winter farkles installed. V-stream windshield and LED auxillary lights on the front. LR4s from LEDRider.
6_zps1hgcxbgi.jpg

And thanks to the internet and facebook- someone caught my attention as a friend. Not even sure what it was exactly- FJRs, LED lights, Aerostich suits, proximity to each other or something else. But Brandon and I ended up meeting each other in Toledo, and riding for a bit together.
7_zpshcmxn5iy.jpg

And if you would have told me that day that in 4 months this guy was going to follow me around the country and make my summer adventure more fun- I wouldn't have believed you. But he did. Along with other adventures this year.

Beginning of April has plenty of April showers, including some snow. Finally, middle of April, it dries up and gets comfortably warm. So I head north. I know I know, why head where it is colder and browner? For food, duh! To meet up with Wayne for a burger in the middle of the woods in Luzerne, MI. And it was totally worth it! The ride up, the ride back, the food, and the friend. Read about it here: season opener
8_zps0qabfm5a.jpg

The end of April brings around a tech day in Owosso, MI. Great people, lots of chatting and laughing, and decent weather. Well, until we decide to head out at 11pm in the rain. But that's what makes riding motorcycles an adventure!!
9_zpswlonjptr.jpg

10_zps3td9etof.jpg

And I've also gotten a new toy- let's see what kind of fun I can record with that! lol. Sena 10c- bluetooth communicator and camera all rolled in one and attached to the helmet. channel clicky
11_zpsea00bts6.jpg

May means it's time for the Ramble! Where we gather and ride in SEOhio. Good friends + decent weather + excellent roads = fun riding!!
11b_zpsjadpewk8.jpg

12_zpshqxhpwms.jpg

13_zpsvisc47xc.jpg

My thoughts when June rolled around: "already????" This also brings around a cool morning that alerted me to the fact that my battery is dying. So a new one was ordered and installed. June also brings more adventures. A ride that I planned and led the entire way (way out of my comfort zone), made up entirely of 2-lane roads and a few sightseeing stops along the way (still not near my comfort zone).
14_zpsktztagsv.jpg

15_zpsxw888u3l.jpg

June is my birthday month- which entails me running away on the motorcycle. No ice cream this year, but plenty of miles and the chance to see a best friend and her family, whom I haven't seen in over a year.
16_zpsqrjyfra7.jpg

Also - horses.
17_zpsyeiy5dce.jpg

And rain.
18_zpsjcnkihf2.jpg

Later in the month, I attended a funeral of a great man in my parents motorcycle club. He had watched me and my sister grow up, ride motorcycles, and would watch my adventure posts on facebook. It was only fitting, to have a motorcycle procession. Family and friends all took to the road on their bikes- and my oldest nephew (4 1/2 yrs old) got to ride with me for the first time.
19_zpscvvjfs4g.jpg

And now July?!?!?!
WIth that- it's my 3 year anniversary with the bike. And 48,000 (s)miles have been gathered. And plenty of stickers. And numerous farkles. And a whole heap of memories.
20_zpsvpftusgc.jpg

End of July- means it's time for my extended summer vacation!! With NAFO being held in Colorado this year- I decided to wind up there eventually. But of course, I gotta take the long way there. So I headed from Ohio to NAFO, via the Pacific Coast. And many other stops along the way. Brandon was brave enough to follow along with me on this grand adventure- at least, for the first half.
21_zpsfvhnhab5.jpg

22_zpsvjwna6qc.jpg

23_zpsd5hyxgxv.jpg

24_zpsiirgazsu.jpg

25_zpsynamfetb.jpg

Landed in Montrose for NAFO- 10 days and 5,000 miles later. Did you miss that RR? Read it here: Windsong of the West

More riding in August. Including a weekend in SEOhio with Wayne as we gather some therapeutic miles. On foot and on bike.
26_zpsmejrbbvp.jpg

27_zpshpqcpmsa.jpg

End of August- the bike was begging to be washed.
28_zps2lwdcumi.jpg

Middle of September was the fall Ohio tech day. Brief visit for me (work duties, *sigh*).... but still memorable!!
29_zpsagw8uvad.jpg

Within a few days, then, I was on my way to EOM in Wytheville, VA.
30_zps1zv0wund.jpg

Which included many exciting moments- boys competing at who can crash their bike the best. smh.
Wayne and a deer.
c23f6a0e-565c-45e9-bd23-792e1bf8e195_zpsm6rbn14u.png

and Jason and a dirty curve.
effc42f3-f42b-458a-a831-e34fb3362f03_zps41z7tamm.png

But I did make it up Mt Mitchell! Tag it!!
33_zpsitgbzpdc.jpg

And friends... because they're awesome.
34_zpsqcz7zbnt.jpg

Oh my gosh.... is that TYLER?!?! *gasp!*
35_zpsm83eidzr.jpg

Next up- October. Wow October. And here I thought EOM was an excitement. Brandon had mentioned to me about heading to Arkansas for the Hooterville shindig. Sure! Adds another state for me! (actually 2, because we snagged Oklahoma on a day ride.) It also included a "major" flat tire on a bridge over the river in downtown St Louis.
36_zpsawv5o4ip.jpg

But it also included good riding. And good friends.
37_zpstarhtgxj.jpg

And then it included an unexpected moment which solidified my respect for this group. Brandon and I had a little accident involving water slime.
38_zpsors7ybz3.jpg

So there we are, in a tiny town in Arkansas, with a hole in a stator cover.
ff89c2ff-8b28-411e-a6d6-9d97436d5d50_zpsydkpyfun.png

So after remembering that someone needed new rubber that morning- I messaged Marty, who was waiting with Mark while he got the new tire. Next thing I know- they're on their way to us with some fixing material.
40_zpsswqicrw7.jpg

"Not all heroes wear capes. Some wear Klim." Thank you gentlemen. I don't have enough words to share my gratitude towards you.
41_zpsirukyd9x.jpg

And that goes to show how great this group can be - helping others.

The following weekend- AIM Expo in Orlando, FL. Wayne and I decided to make a quick road trip down there. And since someone's bike was out of commission thanks to a deer, and for more efficient traveling, and because we figured we could buy more- we opted to drive a cage down there. Doesn't mean we didn't have fun though!!
42_zpsckcxbzwx.jpg

And on the way home- we met up with Jason for a brief but fun filled lunch date.
43_zpsxhby6n7e.jpg

2 weeks after that, at the end of October- I headed south again. This time to Alabama. For SFO.
44_zpsjsbq0ch3.jpg

Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum, cotton fields, new friends, and PLENTY of smiles and memories.
45_zpsll1myl9r.jpg

Full RR is published here: if not now, when?

After that- my motorcycling has stayed local. November was a focus time for work and family. Just a few brief rides.
46_zpsas3lceic.jpg

Which includes the oh-so-enjoyable shopping location....
CD44440D-D1EB-47F2-807E-700124CA2DD5_zpsj8fsxtjr.jpg

December has brought snow and ice. Gave me (and my father) a chance to fix some of the damages that the bike had acquired over the past few months.
And an understanding that there are other things besides motorcycling at every possible chance. Such as spending time with the nephews and reminding them that their awesome motorcycling aunt also has a love of horses....
47_zpswzjnraz7.jpg

But this doesn't mean that I don't hope for that decent day to get out and ride. But at the same time- if I can't ride for more than a few hours or 100 miles.... the effort to get the bike out and get dressed overpowers the joy of riding. Omg, what is happening to me?!?!!?

This year was a year of riding for me. A year of exploration. A year of friendships. A year of enjoying life.
48_zpsbwhvphvl.jpg

I thank each and every one of you for making this year memorable. Whether I met you in person or just through the power of the internet.

Stats for this year:

Bike odometer- 69,750............... Miles for 2016- 23,600
Total states gathered- 35............ States ridden in 2016- 30 (15 of which were new this year)
Speeding tickets- None this year!!!!
New farkles- too many to count. lol
New stickers- oh so many!!!
Memories- UNLIMITED!!!

Great Report as always Julie, It was my pleasure to make your acquaintance at NAFO. Hope to see you again in the future.

You had a fun filled year, and have done some traveling. Oh to be so young! Thanks for sharing.

Epic year, Julie, eloquently summarized. Sorry I missed making your acquaintance at NAFO, but the way you ride, I'm sure crossing paths is inevitable. All the best in '17!

Great memories shared, Julie. I'm glad to say I was involved in two of them, since I'm new to Feejer Land - EOM and Orlando. It was great seeing you in both spots. Let's shoot for more in 2017. ...Don

Excellent report Julie!!Thanks for sharing with us!
smile.png

I like very the stickers with the horse on your fairing.Where you found these?

I think her pseudonym might give a clue to that. A farrier is someone who deals with horses' hooves.
Thank you, and that is correct! Found the running horse fairing sticker at a large horse expo that I go to. The left sidecase horseshoe/horsehead sticker is an exact match to a tattoo I have- and my sticker lady printed that for me.

Wow what a year!!!!You do realize that you had more adventures in this one year than probably 90% of motorcycle riders do in a lifetime?Good for you!!!!

I think her pseudonym might give a clue to that. A farrier is someone who deals with horses' hooves.
Thank you, and that is correct! Found the running horse fairing sticker at a large horse expo that I go to. The left sidecase horseshoe/horsehead sticker is an exact match to a tattoo I have- and my sticker lady printed that for me.
Thanks!Really nice stickers!
smile.png