Behmer (Peter Behm) on His Last Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
0071349866-01-1_20170103.jpg
Peter Behm

Peter Behm the winner of the 2011 Iron Butt Rally is in intensive care and ready to check into the final checkpoint. He's been battling pancreatic cancer for about a year now and well you can read what his wife Paula posted last night below.

Journal entry by Paula Closson Behm 20 hours ago
It is with great sadness that the Behm team won't have enough points to win this rally. Today the transition from agressive treatments to comfort care is happening. Pete is to ill and weak to under go any more treatments. He has asked to be kept comfortable, be surrounded by Family. The breathing machine he is on is maxed out. And Pete has chosen not be intubated. He will stay in the Hospital where Nursing staff can give IV anxiety and pain medication; the Respiratory Therapist can assist with the B-pap (breathing machine). Now it is in the hands of a higher power.

----------
R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend

Behmer

----------

I encourage you to post a comment on his CaringBridge site I know people with him are reading them for him.

If you're not too far from Stillwater MN and want to visit Peter PM me and I'll let you know what hospital he's in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Rick. Solemn news about a quiet gentleman and friend....

I just returned home from spending the afternoon with Pete. He is surrounded by numerous friends and family. The B-pap makes communication difficult but he has a whiteboard to write and he is very aware of his surroundings. Paula is reading your comments on caringbridge to him and it brings a smile to his face. If you've been thinking about writing something, please do. He is extremely weak and has lost a lot of weight. Looking at him now I can't believe it was just 3 months ago the two of us road our bikes to Nevada and back.

Cancer Sucks.

This really sucks. Peter is a wonderful person and rider. I had the honor of meeting him at several events (Mostly IBA related)

Hoping the best for he and his riding partner in life.

What a tremendous loss. RIP Peter. Rallys won't be the same without him at the start and finish. But I know I'll always hear him say know your limits and ride safe.

See you down the road Pete.

My first ride with Pete and Paula was in 2002 when he was a member of the Venturers club. We enjoyed 5 days SD. I always looked forward to seeing Pete at the events. He will be sorely missed.

From Pete's wife Paula:

A Gathering/Celebration of Pete's life will be held

Saturday Jan 7th. 1:00 to 4:00pm

At Bradshaw Funeral Home in Stillwater, MN

A big loss to the riding community. I did not know him personally, but admired his style and successes. I appreciated his appearances at the last two Butt Lites. Thanks Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.