No Headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SigepKat

Reaction score
Went out to my bike (09/Gen 2) this morning, hit the starter and had no headlights. No high or low beams. When I rode it last (Sunday) it was wet, but everything was working fine. I checked the fuses, found one burned out 3a fuse, replaced it to no avail. Where do I go from here? Not even sure what to check. I assume the bulbs are good, since the likelihood of them both failing at the same time is pretty slim (they're different age bulbs...) Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris

All my other lights work fine, turn signals, tails (running lights connected to headlights are not working) ...Windshield works...Haven't tried the horn.

I didn't figure that 3a fuse was my headlights (though that does explain why my aux jack wasn't working), just added that as FYI.

Where are these headlight relays? I've never noticed any relay clicking when starting the bike.

While it is quite possible to have both low beams burn out within a short time of each other, it is almost impossible that both high beams would burn out in the same interval. If not fuses, I would look for a relay. Any aftermarket wiring done in the headlight circuit? The absence of apparent issues with dash indicator lights, windshield etc. hopefully rules out grounding "spiders" although a toasted connector elsewhere is a possibility.

Note: You remember that the headlights do not turn on with the ignition - only after the engine starts?

Good luck - I hate dealing with electrical issues!!

While it is quite possible to have both low beams burn out within a short time of each other, it is almost impossible that both high beams would burn out in the same interval. If not fuses, I would look for a relay. Any aftermarket wiring done in the headlight circuit? The absence of apparent issues with dash indicator lights, windshield etc. hopefully rules out grounding "spiders" although a toasted connector elsewhere is a possibility.
Note: You remember that the headlights do not turn on with the ignition - only after the engine starts?

Good luck - I hate dealing with electrical issues!!
I once had the headlight relay fail, the contacts were getting burned and eventually stopped making contact. An easy way to check is to tap on the relay case while the bike is running to see if the lights come on. One of the headlight relays (and the one you most likely want in this case) is the Hi/Lo beam dimmer switch relay, located behind panel B if looking at the dash while seated on the bike. FYI, my FJR was almost new at the time with only about 45k miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulled the dash apart and found the Hi/Lo relay (I guess), tapped on it to no avail. When I switch on the high beams, the relay isn't clicking or anything. How do I test this proper? Where should there be power in it's different states (highs off/on)?

Thanks for the help so far!

CM

Quick easy check is to pull the bulbs and check them with a a ohm meter. The relay just applies power to the lights after the engine starts up. The thumb switch on the switch assembly is responsible for shifting from high to low. The other choice is to check the continuity of the relay with power off and then with the engine running.

Yep, engine running...And my running lights (that are connected inline w/my low beams) aren't turning on either, so I'm confident I'm not getting power to the headlights.

Pulled the hi/lo relay and it's got no power going to it at all, so I'm guessing the problem is the other relay. W/all of the dash panels off, I can see another relay just past the battery, is that the correct one to test next or is that probably the brake relay?

Did another test...Put the bike in diagnostic mode, 52 to test the headlight relay. I can hear the relay clicking, but the lights aren't doing anything. What's interesting is that w/the hi/lo relay unplugged, my aux lights turn on, but w/it plugged in, nothing happens...

If you need a relay swap to test something, I think the fan relay is the same as the headlight ones. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong - happened once...

Sounds like a corroded connector somewhere or the switch...Only a thought.

I think Mihalis' thought might be a good one.
smile.png

This is a Gen II right, and not the Gen I in your profile? Reason I ask is because of what I'm about to type.

I had a similar occurrence on my '04 and swore it was the Headlight Relay. When trying to activate it via Diag I could hear and feel this relay buzzing abnormally so I knew it was getting power. Off to the dealer and got myself a replacement.

Somewhat helpful post here, moreso for a Gen I.

Of course this didn't solve the problem.
no.gif
While not quite qualifying as "throwing parts at it" as I did determine power was getting to this so-called bad relay, what I failed to diagnose was just how much power it was, or in this case wasn't, getting. Breaking out the probe and tracing wires found me this. Surmised that enough juice was flowing through this connector to the relay so that it would make noise but not enough to fully activate it. Once repaired all was good again and I now have a new relay sitting in my personal parts department.

If you need a relay swap to test something, I think the fan relay is the same as the headlight ones. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong - happened once...
Also as far as I remember the ABS relay is the same too and easier to access than the fan and other headlight relay.