Saddlebag Locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilj14

Reaction score
OK I have been looking around here and not found what I am looking for. Has anyone been able to come up with a better setup for the locks on the saddlebags?? This having to remove the ignition key just to open a bag seems goofy to me. I would love to be able to use a push & turn type of a retainer that had the capacity to be locked when required.

Any ideas?

Sorry if this has already been beat to death but I cant find the milk in the fridge if it's the only thing in it.....

Thanks,

Neil

Many have used some variation of getting extra keys cut for use in locking/unlocking the bags.

Use $2 US blanks, you dont need $22 immobilizer blanks for these extra keys.

-Steve

Be a pioneer and see if you can retrofit this kit. Looks simple enough.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycles-parts-accesories/new-harley-davidson-power-lock-kit-for-touring-luggage-ar53059.html

new-harley-davidson-_800x0w.jpg

Don't really see what the problem is removing the ignition key to open a saddlebag, it's not as though you need to have the engine running while digging around in the saddle bag. When I bought my fjr it came with three keys, the red one which is kept in a safe place, and two ordinary ignition keys. If you really need to have a key in the ignition while opening the saddlebags, what is wrong with just using the spare key?.......or am I missing something?

Not really missing anything at all. Its just a pain in the a**......

I have a motion disorder and I shake..... putting the key in is sometimes tedious. When we are warming the bike up in the cooler weather, it would be nice if I could still put gloves on and the final things away before I leave..... and before my wife gets on and says "I'm ready"..... My friend rode an ST1300 and it was a simple lift and open..... (He now has a 2016 FJR and hates his locks as well)

The link RossKean posted looks to be your best bet. I think a couple people on a couple different forums have done that mod. If I was going to modify the locks, that would be the route I'd take.

That kit Spud linked won't work. It's made for a HD, so uses SAE electrical current. FJRs use metric current, which we all know is incompatible with SAE current.

Whenever I go away, I always carry spare keys for ignition, disc lock, security cable padlock and a house key on a lanyard around my neck. If the normal ignition key isn't available, I can always use that one. Though it's not overly convenient if I'm gloved and helmeted.

I have two keys with "remove before flight" flags on them. They are what I use in my cases and gas lid. Ignition key usually stays put.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I go away, I always carry spare keys for ignition, disc lock, security cable padlock and a house key on a lanyard around my neck. If the normal ignition key isn't available, I can always use that one. Though it's not overly convenient if I'm gloved and helmeted.
My MO as well. Lanyard has a clip on the end so key-ring can be easily removed for access to bags, trunk, etc.

--G

While their lanyards don't help, (dedicated) spare keys are a solution. Radio knobs would make them even better (and harder to bend swinging a leg over)

The link RossKean posted looks to be your best bet. I think a couple people on a couple different forums have done that mod. If I was going to modify the locks, that would be the route I'd take.
That kit Spud linked won't work. It's made for a HD, so uses SAE electrical current. FJRs use metric current, which we all know is incompatible with SAE current.
LOL
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to find an alternative style lock mechanism that would eliminate the current locks.... just for my own simplicity...... Thanks for noticing HotRodZilla!!

Latest posts