Turns over but won't start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If there is already a thread on this, please advise.

Put new rear tire on my 2014 today, started it up to go for a ride. It ran maybe a second, then quit. It turns over fine but will not start. Acts like either no spark or no fuel. Any ideas, known problems and/or solutions?

Thanks....

FSS... Sad to see this on a '14 bike.

I added a few drops of oil to each cylinder (and dried the plugs) and she fired right up! (on my '03). YMMV

I added a few drops of oil to each cylinder (and dried the plugs) and she fired right up! (on my '03). YMMV
It was more likely the fuel drying off the plugs during the process rather than the oil improving compression that enabled it to start.

I had it happen on my 06 twice (in 102k miles), and once on my 16, after cold starting it and shutting it off...got the FSS when I went to start it the next morning. No big deal...just crank it WOT, and it will start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its flooded. Spark plugs wet with fuel, cylinder walls washed off reduces compression somewhat.

Charge battery and hold throttle open. You will hear when it starts firing, keep cranking till it starts.

All,

Thanks for the replies! It's been a busy week so I have not touched the FJR or been here. I did pick up a set of plugs today on the way home. Debating on whether to dive in and just do the plugs since I do have 10K on the machine of try the wide open throttle trick first. I am inclined to do that as this is not the first time the FJR has puked on me shortly after start up but it is the first that was not cured by either turning the ignition off then back on or cycling the kill/start switch.

I will be working on it tomorrow and get back with you then.

Ok, so I go out to the FJR. I turn on the ignition, twist the throttle and crank...and crank....and crank. I jack the throttle, it coughs...and cranks....and cranks. I jack the throttle again and it sputters but trying harder to start. I crank and crank and it sputters but never starts before I start to loose battery.

I walk away and go ahead and gauge the new plugs and go thru the steps to get to the plugs and cuss it because it is a pain in the ass to get to the plugs (which would be ok if it was a 25 to 50 K mission, not 10K) and did a couple things around the house as I was mad at the FJR. Before diving into the replacement, I gave it one more try. I cranked the throttle, turned on the ignition and hit the start button. It fired up so fast that before I could react the revs went wow! OMG! That poor engine! Glad I use good quality oil. Any way, I warmed it up thoroughly, took it for a short ride and parked it. Gave it about 10 minutes and fired it back up.

I am glad I know about this issue now, but it does not please me. This is a 21st century machine that should not have a quirk like this. This is not my first Yamaha with issues either. I am frustrated with it now. One should not have to worry constantly if it will leave you stranded.

I will be replacing my plugs soon, hopefully not today though, it is one of those rare in the middle of the Hoosier winter days suitable for riding comfortably and by golly that is the wrong time to let me down!

Ok, so I go out to the FJR. I turn on the ignition, twist the throttle and crank...and crank....and crank. I jack the throttle, it coughs...and cranks....and cranks. I jack the throttle again and it sputters but trying harder to start. I crank and crank and it sputters but never starts before I start to loose battery. I walk away and go ahead and gauge the new plugs and go thru the steps to get to the plugs and cuss it because it is a pain in the ass to get to the plugs (which would be ok if it was a 25 to 50 K mission, not 10K) and did a couple things around the house as I was mad at the FJR. Before diving into the replacement, I gave it one more try. I cranked the throttle, turned on the ignition and hit the start button. It fired up so fast that before I could react the revs went wow! OMG! That poor engine! Glad I use good quality oil. Any way, I warmed it up thoroughly, took it for a short ride and parked it. Gave it about 10 minutes and fired it back up.

I am glad I know about this issue now, but it does not please me. This is a 21st century machine that should not have a quirk like this. This is not my first Yamaha with issues either. I am frustrated with it now. One should not have to worry constantly if it will leave you stranded.

I will be replacing my plugs soon, hopefully not today though, it is one of those rare in the middle of the Hoosier winter days suitable for riding comfortably and by golly that is the wrong time to let me down!
It will not leave you stranded IF you allow it to warm up properly before shutting it down............

As said, it won't leave you stranded. As much as you probably don't want to hear it, after the first time, it became user error. Don't start a cold bike and immediately shut it off. It over fuels the cylinders to make up for the cold, like a choke used to do. If you shut it off, the bike has still pushed too much fuel, which washes the cylinders and floods the bike.

You obviously haven't stopped doing that, and have obviously done it more than once. Stop, and problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It fired up so fast that before I could react the revs went wow! OMG! That poor engine! Glad I use good quality oil."

Yep - when she fires she fires hard.

Canadian FJR

This issue isn't unique to FJRs nor Yamaha's in general.

Try the same trick in your fuel injected car / truck and while it will probably restart, it might take some coaxing and there will be a rougher than normal idle. I remember one time in particular with a 90s V6/stick Ford Ranger. Cold morning in the 20s, let it warm up a minute or so, took off and not paying attention, stalled it on a steep hill. Took WFO with extended cranking to coax it back to life.

YMMV

--G