Brakes and No Kerchunk on '09

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

Reaction score
I now have a 2009 bike and have noticed the improvements in the bike overall from the Gen 1 model. The one thing I was disappointment in was the rear brakes. On my 2005 I could fully engage the rear brake (ABS Model) with a quarter inch travel while the 2009 would require 3/4-1 inch travel. I thought it was because of the newer linked brakes and wrote it off as such.

Yesterday I did the full fluid change on both bikes. Took the 09 for a ride and now the brakes act like the 05. I am thinking the previous owner did not do a proper brake bleed and that was the problem.

Also I would like to say the 09 is the first bike I have had that does not go krchunk when shifting from neutral to first. It make me wonder if something is wrong as this is such a familiar sound and feeling......

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using the same oil weight and type in both? Synthetic is way smoother in shifting. Was night and day in my '06. Maybe the previous owner used it.

Nothing's wrong with your '09, pretty typical behavior!

My previous '09 was about 50/50 with the first gear kerklunk. Disengage the clutch, wait a few seconds and you'll likely get a nice quiet shift into first. My '15 behaves the same way. Both my '09 & '15 need(ed) the rear brakes bled annually or else the rear goes soft with excessive travel. Why, dunno...but it happens.

YMMV

--G

I use Rotella T6 in my bikes and I do not want to go to the NERPT zone on oils,lol. Never did a clutch soak on any of my bikes. I just accepted the kerchunk as normal operation of a motorcycle. Live and learn and hopefully learn from others mistakes, I mean experiences!

There was a period during the 09 model year run where the factory ran out of kerklunks/kerchunks. I believe there is an active recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a period during the 09 model year run where the factory ran out of kerklunks/kerchunks. I believe there is an active recall.
Yamaha must have also run out of vibration because my '09 was a spectacularly smooth bike. Some days I wish I had it back...and it's available too!

--G

Several things I learned about eliminating the kerklung into first. Before starting the bike rock it forward in neutral with clutch out. That frees up the drive line. Then put in first gear, pull clutch, and start the engine. I also down shift int first while coming to a stop at stop signs and lights. I try to eliminate dead stop shifting into first as much as possible.