Glacier National Park in the rain.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
A blog post 3-1/2 months in the making because I haven't had the time to write, and when I did find a bit of time, I lacked the inclination. This was written in bits and pieces over 90+ days. Hopefully, it is not too pedestrian, or disjointed, and still enjoyable. Cheers!
smile.png

https://motorcyclewanderings.blogspot.com/2016/09/glacier-national-park-in-rain.html

DSC_3320_1_2.jpg

Wow - spectacular!!! GNP is on my bucket list. I hope there is still a Glacier to see when I go, but if not, I'm going anyway.

You are quite the shutterbug, Mr. Chow.....

Great photography. Glacier NP is in our backyard and we get there a couple times a year. We have the luxury of trying to get there when there are fewer (not few) tourists. You actually see a very small portion of the park from a vehicle.

Thanks, Sam. Excellent RR that took me back to my Sept. 2010 visit. I'm still thinking: "next time." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photography. Glacier NP is in our backyard and we get there a couple times a year. We have the luxury of trying to get there when there are fewer (not few) tourists. You actually see a very small portion of the park from a vehicle.
Quite true! You see a very minute portion of the park from the roadside. I barely even scratched the surface on my two little hiking forays. One day I would like to return and hike in the Many Glacier area. It will happen, will make it happen.

Thank you!

Thanks, Sam. Excellent RR that took me back to my Sept. 2010 visit. I'm still thinking: "next time."
wink.png
Thanks Rich! My excuse is lack of time-off, fortunately I don't have a ton of family obligations, when I do get some time-off.

Western Canada is next on the list, so you maybe right. It will be a while before I return to Glacier N.P. How long a while? Who knows?

Great pics and story lines. Makes one want to be there in person. The Outlook Inn could be the resting place for my planned trip there this spring-summer-fall or which ever date I pick. All I need to do is find a riding buddy to share in the costs.

That "small ride report" has now vaulted Glacier to the top of my list of places I MUST see. SO Amazing landscape and terrain. Thank you for the pictures. My wallet is going to hate you.

Great RR Sam, this is on my bucket list for sure. Gonna try to work it in with Spearfish in '18

Superb photos Sam! I've only ridden through the park and have never hiked, so I can appreciate from your RR how much we all miss from the road. I just got my Canadian park pass in the mail yesterday (thought I was never going to get it) so I'm hoping to hit up the Waterton side in July (after going to the BMW MOA rally in Salt Lake). How much of a pain/delay should I expect at the border crossing on Rt. 17/6. I know July is probably the busiest month of the year up there.

Thanks guys!

July would probably be the busiest time anywhere, let alone GNP. This was in early September - after Labor day, and I was surprised how many people were here, despite the bad weather. I suppose I was here also... so..

It certainly is a must-see. The closer you can stay to the park the better I would assume. It was a bit of a trek each day from Somer, MT to GNP, but not too bad for the Western side of the Park.

For the Many Glacier area, if you want to get on the trails early and do some hiking, You might end up staying on the Eastern side of the Park somewhere. Some Holiday Inn Express etc in Browning I think.

EDITED - To add - While I mentioned Browning, I have no experience staying there. When I was in the area of the Blackfoot Indian reservation, I felt uncomfortable and on edge, and couldn't wait to get out of the area. The Holiday Inn Express idea came to my head, because a friend of mine mentioned he stayed there and it was OK. This friend is a earthy hippie type. So YMMV.

Superb photos Sam! I've only ridden through the park and have never hiked, so I can appreciate from your RR how much we all miss from the road. I just got my Canadian park pass in the mail yesterday (thought I was never going to get it) so I'm hoping to hit up the Waterton side in July (after going to the BMW MOA rally in Salt Lake). How much of a pain/delay should I expect at the border crossing on Rt. 17/6. I know July is probably the busiest month of the year up there.
When I've gone usually 10 minutes or less. I was there this past fall on a Canadian holiday weekend. Waterton was a zoo, but the beauty of being on a bike is finding parking so easily. The border station there is pretty basic, and in a beautiful area.

(not my photo...)

3012210-Border_Crossing_from_USA_into_Canada_Waterton_Lakes_National_Park.jpg

Most of you folks know I'm and old Montana boy but Browning, MT would not be a place that I would stay. JSNS

For the Many Glacier area, if you want to get on the trails early and do some hiking, You might end up staying on the Eastern side of the Park somewhere. Some Holiday Inn Express etc in Browning I think.

Most of you folks know I'm and old Montana boy but Browning, MT would not be a place that I would stay. JSNS

I reflect that sentiment. I couldn't wait to get out of Dodge when I was in that Blackfoot Indian Reservation...but if you want to stay on the East side of the park and can't stay at the Many Glacier Lodge/Chalet. Then your options are VERY limited around there... :(

It's true there aren't great lodging options close by east of GNP. Browning is not a friendly town. The plains along the east side of the park from MT up into Alberta is a pretty interesting area. Lots of Hutterite colonies in both US and CA, few people, some really fun deserted go-fast roads. Cardston is a nice little town if you want to stay in Alberta. Lethbridge is quite a big city and not a bad trek to Waterton...

You guys are ratifying my spidey senses, observations and a couple of contacts on 2 different visits to the east side of GNP and north of Waterton. Some of the locals in Browning and a couple towns well north into Alberta can be unfriendly to borderline hostile, bearing some of the worst marks of poverty. Wasn't aware of the Hutterite presence, but the worst of the reservation was apparent.