Sena Communicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Sena. I have looked at their web site and even

spoke with their sales support but I am still unclear on what model I want.

I would like to have these features;

- Ability to communicate with 2 or 3 others

- Bluetooth for phone

- Built-in FM radio

This is all that I need, nothing more. The sales person told me that the 10

would do this but I think that it is FM radio compatible not actually built in.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am thinking about buying a Sena. I have looked at their web site and evenspoke with their sales support but I am still unclear on what model I want.

I would like to have these features;

- Ability to communicate with 2 or 3 others

- Bluetooth for phone

- Built-in FM radio

This is all that I need, nothing more. The sales person told me that the 10

would do this but I think that it is FM radio compatible not actually built in.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
I've been considering as well - never had a helmet comm.

I believe the Sena 10s meets your requirements. The Sena 10 may as well but the 10s has greater distance and can connect 4 units and improved speakers.

Someone that has these units please chime in.

-Glen

I've responded to a few of these threads in the past, and still believe the Senas are an excellent platform (I'm still trying to wear out a pair of SMH-10s).

My local riding buddies have Sena 10s, and the joy continues.

Yep, they have built-in FM receivers:

However, thought I'd mention that as a group of 4-6 riders regularly using a combination of SMH-10 + Sena 10s units for multiple hours each day, we have been disappointed occasionally with a small connection quality problem. Some noise is clearly heard over the voice whenever one of the 10s communicators keys up his mic. This doesn't happen:

• when just multiple SMH-10 units (old ones) are paired
  • when just multiple Sena-10s units (new ones) are paired
- only when we pair some combination of the two generations.

We've done a little research, expecting Sena to declare a firmware fix, but haven't heard anything about it yet.

Good luck in your quest.

If you have any unanswered question please ask. I can get you a great deal on any Sena and have used all the models.

Alex, would you be willing to share the experience with the collective or would you prefer PM/eMail?

I am looking to upgrade Naomi but at this point am clueless..

I've used SENA SMH10's for many years...almost since they first came out. My most frequent riding buddy has the same, we each have two for the occasional passenger.

My only complaint was after buying the very first set, several years later they came out with a newer revision that allowed for firmware upgrade which gave tons more features. We pretty much had to buy the new ones, but now that they are firmware upgradable we've had almost no problems with them.

We've both had extremely good results from these units. The battery lasts a very long time, the only time we had them die was after a 13+ hour day, pretty much talking the whole day long. Made it the the last 20 minutes. I think they have the best battery life. The SMH10's have everything else you want. Great units. Highly recommend the fixed mic kit for full-face helmets, the booms can be a pain.

Like most blue-tooth things, the pairing can be a bit confusing, but once you get them the way you want them it's smooth. The sound quality is amazing. It's like you're sitting across the table in a nice quiet room talking to your buddy.

Works fine with my iPhone, use it all the time.

I've considered some of the slimmer more modern looking units, but the published battery life is less on all of them. I feel the SMH10's are the way to go.

The new 30K might be worth a look. Not sure about them, still too new.

I rode with SMH10 units for a couple of year. Changed the base plate so I could use ear buds. At highway speeds the speakers just didn't cut it. Then I missed my speakers when just making a quick trip and didn't want to insert the buds. Upgraded to a 20s - that base can be speakers or ear buds. I have used the FM radio some but I prefer to use the Iheart radio app. and stream it.

I have used the Sena SMH10 for several years, and have been very happy with it. I did just pick up a 20S the international motorcycle show here in MN for $195 OTD. So far it seems like a well upgraded unit. The sound quality is much better than the SMH10. I even added upgraded speakers to the SMH10, I don't think I will need to do that with the 20S.

do these have a headphone jack and apt-x ??

reduced sound quality is holding me back compared to hardwired. (not looking opinions how speakers sound with earplugs, heh.
smile.png
)

Last edited by a moderator:
do these have a headphone jack and apt-x ??
reduced sound quality is holding me back compared to hardwired. (not looking opinions how speakers sound with earplugs, heh.
smile.png
)
The the Sena SMH10, they make a helmet clamp with an output head phone jack, and the there are adapters for the 20S.

I ended up going for speakers with earplugs after putzing around with ear buds for years. No wires, and more comfortable, but yes you do pay a sound quality penalty.

I have a 10U in my Shoei. A buddy has a SMH10 I think, maybe a 10s. They both work great except for one issue we can't figure out. If we want to talk to each other, if he initiates the conversation it works 100% of the time. If I initiate the conversation it very rarely works. It just tells me "intercom not connected please try again later". I think it's some issue with a newer model trying to initiate a conversation with an older model.

the 20s has speakers as well as the headphone jack. It is one of the reasons I upgraded from the 10. If I am riding around town at lower speeds the speakers are fine. Longer trips and the highway the earbuds provide the best sound without having to max out the volume on the Sena and the phone.