2012-03-23 Engine Swap Day Fairlaner Pix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2012-03-23 Engine Swap Day Fairlaner Pix

Permalink Submitted by dcarver on Fri, 01/20/2017 - 10:27.

2012-03-23 Engine Swap Day - Fairlaner Pix

I found these pictures today, 2017-01-20. Fairlaner, Richard, took these. Hard to believe it's almost 5 years ago we did this.

What great friends Ray and Richard are. Richard funded Rays fuel bill to travel from Oregon to central Kali. Ray brought his old truck, lift, jacks, tools and more importantly, knowledge!

I really enjoyed seeing these pix from Richard's point of view. And Thank You Richard, for letting me use your pix here..

Prepping to remove broken engine.

Ray enjoys HarleyDdog. RIP Harley, you were a great pup.

2.jpg

x

New engine at left, old at right.

Prepping the transplant engine. I always wondered what was under the black cover..

Ray says "Let's look!."

x

The transplant motor had a rashed alternator cover, so we swapped.

x

In case you want to see where a starter motor lives..

Ready for implant!

x

It's a pretty big job to transplant engines. Glad I had help!

Yeah Baby, in the frame!

Uhh, Ray? You OK? Or did Richard piss you off, mate?

x

x

One has to rember where wire looms route... When we started, the deal was this.. If you took it apart, you put it together.

Making great progress!

Almost ready to call it a day..

The real boss shows up.

Living, Hondarosa style!

I have to admit, pretty tired. Ray looks comfie in his loafers and pajamas!

We even had our own cheerleader!

Not sure what the hat's about..

We live streamed the entire event.. had lots of FjrForum.com peeps watching and helping. I recall we couldn't remember one connector (kickstand kill switch) and the digital wrenches responded to save the day!

We were having so much fun we went to the next project.. Remove engine from the 79 Kz1300 6 cylinder.

BBQ gurl working magic!

Onto the lift!

This bike is really hard to get up on centerstand.

From here it was a flurry of activity.

Until TaDaah! Engine out.

Very good buds. Thank you soo much guys. I will always remember.

Ummm.

A good pix of Ray!

Well, that is it!

While all of this predates my membership here this story and the accompanying pictures are what make this forum so special. Thanks for sharing!

That was a pretty cool event, I didn't get to follow the stream as I was at work but it followed by reading the posts. How is the old English Phart anyhow?

Spoke with R this morning. He's had a lot of fun putting even more horsepower into the Fairlaner, just got a new Audi elec/gas car. He sounds healthy and happy!

I didn't know Ray made interstate house calls? Looks like you three had a good time. What the hell happened to Fairlaner? Last I remember he had a 2013 FJR and had picked up a BMW S1000R and never heard much more from him after that.

Good memories, Don. I remember that pretty vividly . . . via your live stream.

I was stuck at home in Pollock Pines hammering out the last legal details of a complex R.E. deal with a public agency, between getting a hernia and the surgery, had to miss a 3 day tactical shooting course with CAJW to close the deal, and your project was a very welcome distraction. It was an interesting project to follow, and kinda fun to see the progress (vs. procrastination) that resulted from the dynamic between the three of you working and broadcasting.

Never imagined what was coming later with the big KWAK. Come to think of it, this was the beginning of your serial bike overhaul lunacy! :rolleyes: :p :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oldy but, a Goody. It was streamed live. I fired up some popcorn and watched it come alive right before my very eyes. That was awesome! :yes:

Thanks for nice words, guys. I was really happy to find those pix.

I didn't know Ray made interstate house calls? Looks like you three had a good time. What the hell happened to Fairlaner? Last I remember he had a 2013 FJR and had picked up a BMW S1000R and never heard much more from him after that.
Fairlaner has moved on. He's had a series of motobikes since the 2013 FJR and now has a beautiful 2013 RT BMW for sale. He is doing good, just kinda drifted away me thinks.