I-10 Corridor the first week in Feb.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering a ride out to San Marcos, CA the first week in February. I would need to make good time to make it there

and back in just a weeks vacation. The problem for me is that I travel slower in cold weather. I am wondering what to expect

weather wise. Anyone done a 50cc in Feb.? Anyone along the route want to chime in on weather expectations?

If I have to take a flight, I will probably pass.

Thanks

You gotta look very closely at the weather. I-10 is low, but it runs through a very flat part of the country, especially after Louisiana. Usually, the weather is not bad; however, if there's ANY wind, it gets very cold very fast. Moisture quickly turns to ice and white-out conditions are not uncommon.

Use multiple weather report services with options to give you multiple locations. I use Weather Bug. It's an app available on any smart phone. Verify before you leave. If you end up in an ice storm between Houston and Tucson, your chances of meeting God are high, while your chances of being found are low.

I'm sorta doing the reverse. Leaving Tucson around Feb 10, leisurely heading east as far south as possible, arriving in Key West 7 or 8 days later. Drinking margaritas for a couple of days and then heading back west possibly a bit further north.

AJ is right about the weather. I crashed on ice in El Paso in late January 1972. Wasn't even thinking about ice that far south.

We have a saying here in Texas, if you don't like the weather stick around 5 minutes. You'd probably be ok on that route, but like AJ says, weather can be hard to call this time of year. Conditions and forecasts change even up to the day before.

While I-10 is probably your best route to stay in warmer temps. You need to monitor the weather up north, when it gets crappy up there the traffic heads down to I-10 to get across like you and traffic can be horrendous where I-10 and I-20 merge in west Texas. We got hung up for 13 hours last winter trying to get home after a large winter storm shut down I-40 for a day. We had to run I-10 home one year after the MotoGP in Austin in April because of cold rainy windy conditions developed quickly.

Hey Tony - I can't offer any more advice than what's currently offered. However, I do live basically on I-10 and would be honored to tag along with ya for a while, even if it means riding the slab. Also, keep in mind that Redfish and I can help if you have trouble.

Once your plans are in place, holla!!

Tony,

I've been on I-10 in February and March when it was in the high teens and low 20's, as others have said watch the weather as it can be tough riding during that time.

Tony,

Consider this: you're going try a 5k trip in early Feb. You know how focused you tend to get once you set your mind to something. Beware my friend. Though we should be continuing to enjoy record breaking warm weather throughout the south through the end of Jan., you've got a limited time schedule and there may be days you'll need to wait it out in a hotel. We don't want to see you contending with freezing rain or surprises on frozen bridges. Err to the side of caution on this one.

That said, exactly what days are you planning to ride? You might need some very specific weather advice here.

Another thought: if ya come across some snow coming through the mountains, maybe somebody could step up and trailer you through the thick stuff 'till ya can get back on solid pavement...

Good luck Tony.

Gary

darksider #44

Hell, right now there are tornado warnings in south Florida where he lives. Guess it pays to watch the weather wherever you are.
laugh.png
Woke up in the middle of the night to the cell phones going crazy with emergency warnings. Tornado Warning - Take immediate cover…

By the time I finally figured out what was going on, I heard this continuing thunder sound. The Tornado touched down in Juno Beach to

the NE of me. I got lucky with a fly by.

Tony,Consider this: you're going try a 5k trip in early Feb. You know how focused you tend to get once you set your mind to something. Beware my friend. Though we should be continuing to enjoy record breaking warm weather throughout the south through the end of Jan., you've got a limited time schedule and there may be days you'll need to wait it out in a hotel. We don't want to see you contending with freezing rain or surprises on frozen bridges. Err to the side of caution on this one.

That said, exactly what days are you planning to ride? You might need some very specific weather advice here.

Another thought: if ya come across some snow coming through the mountains, maybe somebody could step up and trailer you through the thick stuff 'till ya can get back on solid pavement...

Good luck Tony.

Gary

darksider #44
You summed up my situation very well Gary. You also summed up my character traits pretty accurately. I would ride straight through/ or die trying.

Still thinking it over…

Looks like I am going to save a weeks vacation. I have the Jax party in March, YFO in June, IBR in July, and CFO in September on the list

already. I am going to part out the '05 FJR and sell the BMW Dakar to make room for another desired bike. So I will transplant the suspension

from the '05 to the '08 in Feb. at Traxxion.

So does that mean you're not going? It can get pretty chilly between El Paso and Tucson. I was at around 19-25F at night when I went thru there in early December on a BB1500 and it doesn't improve much until March.