"Sticky" gears

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teerex51

The Italian Scallion
Reaction score
Last weekend I took the bike (FJR1300 Euro 2003) out for the first serious outing this winter but I experienced a recurring problem with my gears: I was often stuck in 2nd or 3rd and could not shift up. It felt like being in 5th gear trying to get into our "phantom 6th".

I had to slow down, get back into N and gingerly upshift again. 2nd gear would eventually engage with a massive "clunk" and I would then be able to shift all the way up. Unfortunately, the problem would surface again a few minutes later.

I changed the oil, bled the clutch circuit and entirely replaced the fluid. Nope. The problem is still there... :angry: Any ideas, folks?

Stef

I don't think vegetable oil works well outside of the pan....but, then again brando used butter in last tango in paris.....

I was often stuck in 2nd or 3rd and could not shift up. It felt like being in 5th gear trying to get into our "phantom 6th"....2nd gear would eventually engage...I would then be able to shift all the way up. Unfortunately, the problem would surface again a few minutes later.
I changed the oil, bled the clutch circuit and entirely replaced the fluid. Nope. The problem is still there... Any ideas, folks?
Simple as it may sound, pull the left peg assembly and lube all the shift pivots and linkages. This is an often over-looked service that makes a world of difference to shifting. The service should be complete, not just the rod ends, include all the pivot points. At best, your problems will be solved. At worst you will have done necessary maintenance and eliminated one possible problem area. In any case, it is cheap 'n easy. I'm betting it fixes your problem :)

Edited to add: Consider doing the rear brake pivots at the same time. A bit more work than the shift pivots but still necessary. I doubt it will fix the shift problems though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
At best, your problems will be solved. At worst you will have done necessary maintenance and eliminated one possible problem area. In any case, it is cheap 'n easy. I'm betting it fixes your problem :)
Thanks, Ionbeam I'll get on it next weekend... :) It sounds like a nice little maint job for a winter day: FM radio going, a six-pack within easy reach B)

And, you're right, I'll do the brake pedal too. It's been known to be prone to "stickyness"... nothing that a bit of butter won't fix, eh, Odot? :rolleyes:

Stef

Steff,

FYO That torx head bolt is a tight SOB and make sure you're on the centerstand :dribble: Don't ask why I'm sure you can guess :eek:

:jester:

At best, your problems will be solved. At worst you will have done necessary maintenance and eliminated one possible problem area. In any case, it is cheap 'n easy. I'm betting it fixes your problem :)
Thanks, Ionbeam I'll get on it next weekend... :) It sounds like a nice little maint job for a winter day: FM radio going, a six-pack within easy reach B)

And, you're right, I'll do the brake pedal too. It's been known to be prone to "stickyness"... nothing that a bit of butter won't fix, eh, Odot? :rolleyes:

Stef
Stef, I thought you were the Italian Scallion? BEER? Vino, no? BEER? Or is wine like soda and beer is for serious projects? :drinks: :alcoholic:

BTW, do you ever sleep? You seem to be on the board round the clock. Just give up on sleep since you change time zones so often? :lazy:

Good luck with the repair. Hope Ion is (as usual) right!

That torx head bolt is a tight SOB
Thanks Bustanut Joker. When that bolt sees my selection of Torx tools he'll have to surrender... :rolleyes:

BEER? Vino, no? BEER? Or is wine like soda and beer is for serious projects? :drinks: :alcoholic:
Heh heh heh, on the contrary! I wouldn't ride a bike that I've serviced while drinking wine.... :unsure:

BTW, do you ever sleep? You seem to be on the board round the clock. Just give up on sleep since you change time zones so often? :lazy:
I actually try to always get my beauty sleep :rolleyes: ... God knows how badly I need it. :glare: :blink: :rolleyes:

Stef

Stef,

Here are some pictures from one of my previous posts (I hope)

Link

I'm at work right now and behind our firewall most of the pictures on the forum are blocked.

If they don't showup I will see if I still have them at home.

Even if it doesn't cure your problem, it does make a difference in how smooth everything works.

Good Luck!

Stef,
Here are some pictures from one of my previous posts (I hope)

Link

I'm at work right now and behind our firewall most of the pictures on the forum are blocked.

If they don't showup I will see if I still have them at home.

Even if it doesn't cure your problem, it does make a difference in how smooth everything works.

Good Luck!
Ciao Rob!

Thanks for the link. All pics 100% visible.

Helluva neat job you've done there. I'll make sure I do the same and will report on the results.

Stef

PS: I've installed the R1 shift arm in 2005 and I'm pretty happy with it (I know it's not the cause of my sticking gears).

.......Even if it doesn't cure your problem, it does make a difference in how smooth everything works.

Good Luck!
Wow, went thru the procedure (no beer, though, sorry...) and the sticking gears are a problem of the past. :yahoo:

Thanks Rob and Ionbeam, great write-up and tips.

Stef