YES contract

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sks700

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been quite a while since I've been on here. Had an '05 FJR for a couple of years, then traded it off for something else. Came back to the fold today with a '16A.

When I had my '05, there was a dealer that was selling the YES contracts on them cheaper than everyone else. All transactions done over the phone. They were writing contracts left and right! Is there any dealers now that are doing this? What have people been paying for the additional 48 months?

Thanks,

Lee

When I had my '05, there was a dealer that was selling the YES contracts on them cheaper than everyone else. All transactions done over the phone. They were writing contracts left and right! Is there any dealers now that are doing this? What have people been paying for the additional 48 months?
Same as back then...read the New Owners Read This section. #26

Just making sure I'm reading correctly...since my dealer says I need to buy it from them for $740... Buying from D&H Cycle for $390...is:

good for use throughout the USA ?

Is the exact same product that my dealer wants $350 profit off of ?

Moved from '07 ST to '15 FJR...and THRILLED with the cycle !

Just making sure I'm reading correctly...since my dealer says I need to buy it from them for $740... Buying from D&H Cycle for $390...is:
good for use throughout the USA ? Yes

Is the exact same product that my dealer wants $350 profit off of ? Yes

Moved from '07 ST to '15 FJR...and THRILLED with the cycle ! Enjoy and welcome back!

While I'm not doubting you ...AND , I do appreciate the help....I just got off the phone with the Y.E.S. home office and they gave me some info :

While dealers can set their own price...the MSRP of the 48 month YES coverage for an FJR is $690.00. My dealer has it for $740 + tax (interesting, because it's not supposed to be taxed for Indiana)

I mentioned a "dealer" offering it for $390 and they said "I don't see how they could be doing that."

I'm caught in the middle because , while $390 is a helluva lot better than $690 or $740, I want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples and that the discounted coverage would be honored nationally just like the

higher priced one.

Next step is to call D & H and talk with them. It will sure be great if/when they verify that they just are willing to take such a large hit on the price ( but then again...maybe mother Yamaha is getting a cut off of

their $690 MSRP).

I mentioned a "dealer" offering it for $390 and they said "I don't see how they could be doing that."
They've been doing it since at least 2005.

Next step is to call D & H and talk with them.
Or that could have been your very first step and saved time and effort. It's been this way since this forum was created in 2005. There's a reason this thread is in NEPRT.
wink.png
Since 2003 (when I got mine from D&H). It's a product that Yamaha sells to all dealers at the same price. Any differences in pricing to customers is all based on the mark up of each dealer. As a standard product it's supported by Yamaha Corp and all servicing dealers the same.

D&H decided long ago that $50 profit was plenty for them to fill out a form.

Just make sure that whomever you buy it from is selling your a Yamaha factory warranty (YES) and not a 3rd party one (which is common among dealerships because there's even more profit in it for them but less coverage for you).

Bought my YES from D&H, and I can assure you, it is the same warranty your dealer is trying to screw you for.

Just out of curiosity, why would you ask us and then not believe us? Do you think we're full of shit? Do you think we don't ride anywhere and only service our bikes in Alabama? Do you think we're idiots that would buy a sub-par warranty and then recommend that to everyone else, in favor of the "real" warranty?

My suggestion: Pay too much from your dealer that is lying to you, in order to up their profit margin. Then you will feel better.

Sheesh!

Appreciate the info and sorry some fellow riders got their panties in a bunch after I was told my the source of the warranty that it was not possible to by the real warranty at that low a price. Since I'm aware of 3rd party crap warranties AND this is an old thread...I thought something might have changed.

Will be buying from D&H and mentioning FJR forum.

The mark up on the YES is 100% if sold at MSRP. D&H can sell it for whatever price they want, so can your dealer. Ask your dealer for the D&H price, my strategy would be: I can buy the YES through D&H for $390 and no tax. I'd rather spend my money locally, will you match the D&H price? Isn't $50 profit better for your F&I Department than $0 profit? Then shut up and watch. If they say no, you already have a plan.

That's EXACTLY what I said to my dealer just a few months ago. He flipped open some binder, stared at it for a few before looking up giving me that "you've got to be kidding" look. Said he just couldn't do it for that price. We shook hands, I called D&H and I now have the YES sitting in the drawer.

Many parts dealers (auto parts included) are still "trying to" operate like it is 1981 when people couldn't communicate like we can now.

It was (and has been) common practice to mark up all products sold at a dealership parts desk by 100 percent.

If they are selling something for $500, you can be reasonably assured that their cost is $250 or less in some cases.

The fact that they let you walk just means that they have a bit of a lock on their local market and one customer is not that important especially if you go tell others that they can be negotiated with.

The answer is simple.

Screw 'em.

That's EXACTLY what I said to my dealer just a few months ago. He flipped open some binder, stared at it for a few before looking up giving me that "you've got to be kidding" look. Said he just couldn't do it for that price. We shook hands, I called D&H and I now have the YES sitting in the drawer.
When I bought my FJR in '07, I asked my dealer also. Told them the same thing. Some money is better than no money, right? Nope. They claimed D&H was selling it for less than they paid for it. Which sounds like BS to me. I don't see dealerships paying for their share of sellable warranties. So, I bought mine from D&H.
The funny part of that equation, is the same local dealer sold me a 3 year, unlimited mileage service plan. I bought my FJR in August and didn't find this place until about late November, so I knew nothing about it. In that 3 years, I put 35k on my bike. The service guy laughed his ass off. Told me I robbed the sales department because they did every oil change, a valve check, every spark plug change, brake fluid changes, and the swing arm service during that time, for one low price. Haha...Oh well. The best part about that? I got to know the service guys well, and they are awesome. I couldn't ask for better service when I need it. In my opinion, the money I paid for that contract was worth the relationship I have with the service guys!

BTW, I got 5 years of YES on our Jet Ski for free, because we financed it through Yamaha. Some special they were having. That made it super affordable. Lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
The mark up on the YES is 100% if sold at MSRP. D&H can sell it for whatever price they want, so can your dealer. Ask your dealer for the D&H price, my strategy would be: I can buy the YES through D&H for $390 and no tax. I'd rather spend my money locally, will you match the D&H price? Isn't $50 profit better for your F&I Department than $0 profit? Then shut up and watch. If they say no, you already have a plan.
I did this with my bike. The salesman pushed back his book, leaned back in his chair, and said, "Knock yourself out." I can only assume he thought I was bluffing about going out of state to buy a bike. I was willing to price match + give them the cost of my travel expenses to buy locally. Instead they made $0.

You can purchase the YES contract anytime before your original warranty runs out, so you still have time to argue with us idiots who have done this already. I bought mine over the phone from D&H with about 15 days left on the original one. Funny thing is I don't think I ever used it, can I get a refund?
no.gif

Latest posts