LED Brake lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mophead

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Going to install some auxiliary brake and running lights on the rear. Looking at the Whelen LIN3 or TIR3. Anyone have a preference? I'm leaning toward the LIN3.

If you were to add three of them, two on either side of the license plate and one where the reflector is, is that too much of an extra load for the wiring? Not an electrical engr here but thinking that would add a little over an amp load.

Looking at using the Ardmore plug and play harness and not hack up the factory wiring.

Thoughts?

Going to install some auxiliary brake and running lights on the rear. Looking at the Whelen LIN3 or TIR3. Anyone have a preference? I'm leaning toward the LIN3.

If you were to add three of them, two on either side of the license plate and one where the reflector is, is that too much of an extra load for the wiring? Not an electrical engr here but thinking that would add a little over an amp load.

Looking at using the Ardmore plug and play harness and not hack up the factory wiring.

Thoughts?

While I love the LIN3 on my bike. I have questioned the need for 3, or even 2. Perhaps not an issue at day-time, debatable, but perhaps not an issue. At night-time, however, they might actually inspire blindness induced rage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything you're curious about and more can be found here.

While I love the LIN3 on my bike. I have questioned the need for 3, or even 2. Perhaps not an issue at day-time, debatable, but perhaps not an issue. At night-time, however, they might actually inspire blindness induced rage.
^^ This would be my concern also. Not pushing one over the other but note the Feniex offers a taillight/reduced power mode probably for just this reason.

I use the LIN3 with an aftermarket flash controller. It is an attention getter, but is not too bright as a brake light. I use the aftermarket flash controller because I want 3 short flashes and then steady on when I hit the brakes and that was not an option built into the LIN3. According to my research, three short flashes followed by steady on is legal in all 50 states.

I installed the Admore light bar on my bike over the holiday. Loved the plug and play kit. Made it easy. I think it is worth considering as another option.

I have the P3 on the V-strom. I love those also. Do not have a good picture of them, but they are VERY attention getting as well. Here they are in their running light state. They are a whole lot brighter when they start to flash with brake application.

20140319031502-IMAG0612-400x225.jpg

When you are looking for your aftermarket "police" LED, see if they say what the various flash patterns are. If "California Steady - Pulse" "California Compliant" it means that one of the flash patterns is no more than four flashes in less than four seconds then steady on. No third brake controller needed.

I'm interested in the Kisan modulating brake light bulbs for my '07. But I only found halogen bulbs. Anyone knows​ if there are LEDs?

LIN3 here also. I would install one in the center first and see if you really want the other two.

I was concerned about the light being too bright when I installed my first one on my '05, so I installed a switch under the seat to turn it off when in a group ride or maybe at night. Turns out it has never been a problem for daytime followers and getting people's attention at night is kind of the whole point.

I've led a lot of groups over the years, and whenever questioned about the annoyance the response has been that it isn't annoying, but is very attention getting. Many of those followers have later added the same setup to their own bikes. When I installed them on my 'Strom and new 2014 I skipped adding the switch.

My last bike had an LED assembly that gives a constantly dropping blink rate before staying full on. That is, it starts with a disco strobe rate and eases down to something much less frantic. Unfortunately it's not portable (BMW sized tail light). Vizi-tech has a plug and play for the Yamaha line. But $115 is a little fierce. Has anyone seen something like it for at least under $100?

I used a Kisan unit on another bike. Meh, better than a poke in the eye. BTW, they make a SignalMinder that cancels signals after x seconds. It's not speed driven - up to 30 seconds later, the lights go off, moving or standing still. I don't know how that would work on the FJR but maybe it's at least a workaround for leaving the blinkers going.

Technically, what you had is not legal in most states. The more widely accepted flash pattern for brake lights is to strobe the light no more than 5 times and then go solid on. That pattern can be programmed using an inexpensive 3rd brake light flasher, but will create problems for your cruise control if you put it in series with the stock brake lights. A better solution is to install a 3rd brake light in parallel with your stock brake lights. Many of us have used the Whalen LIN-3 or TIR-3 LED lightheads for that purpose. They are very bright and get the attention if following drivers. One of those in conjunction with the 3rdBrakeFlasher.com flasher unit is the bomb.