How do you figure out your bike is north amercan, or world?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingie

Reaction score
I bought my Bike last month 2014FJR 1300 ES over the phone from the Yamaha Dealer in Vancouver B.C. Canada 500 k away (300 miles) only seen it in pictures it's black. When I signed up for the Forum it asks the question which is it. So how do I tell which sub model my bike is? No sure if you've covered this subject before or not.

Thanks, Ingie

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm not picking it up till Easter weekend Approximately 2 months from now as I still have about 2ft. of snow here.

Snowed in and Anxious!

Ingie

Don't recall the question ever being asked before...

Going out on a limb, I'd say the Ignition Immobilizer / chipped keys the rest of the "World" (including Canada) gets, would be the qualification. In the good 'ol USofA, we get a standard non-chipped key and ignition switch.

--G

If its black and 2014 then it was built for the Canadian and not the US market. The US 2014s are all red - both the A and the ES models. It will have an ignition immobilizer on it with a chipped ignition key as well - the US bikes don't. Not sure whether you would call this North American (last time I checked, Canada was still part of NA) or World. The features are more in common with bikes sold in Europe. I'm not sure whether there are differences in the defaults for the instrument cluster or not. Or whether you can change between metric and Imperial units.

Ingie,

Welcome to the Forum. There are a lot of good roads in your neck of the woods! I love HW 6 from Vernon to Fauquier. BeeCee Beamers have their rally each August in Nakusp. A lot of fun riding there. Good luck with the new pair of wheels.

I bought my Bike last month 2014FJR 1300 ES over the phone from the Yamaha Dealer in Vancouver B.C. Canada 500 k away (300 miles) only seen it in pictures it's black. When I signed up for the Forum it asks the question which is it. So how do I tell which sub model my bike is? No sure if you've covered this subject before or not.
Thanks, Ingie
You are lucky that you have choices that include yours, whichever is the answer to your question.

Mine has no possible designation in that list. The choices given are shown in the screen-grab below.

(Click on image for larger view)

Mine is a 2014 FJR1300AS.

In my profile, I've called mine the ES world, as that's probably the closest to my AS. Even if there was the choice for an "AE World", that would be wrong for mine, in the UK the AE would be the ES in the US. In Yamaha's wisdom, in North America they've used different designations from Europe (and other markets as far as I can tell), I've previously highlighted the differences here. I even moaned about the lack of profile choice to The Powers That Be here, but it remains without mine
sad.png

Such is life.

Whichever it turns out to be, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Going out on a limb, I'd say the Ignition Immobilizer / chipped keys the rest of the "World" (including Canada) gets, would be the qualification. In the good 'ol USofA, we get a standard non-chipped key and ignition switch.

--G
I'm curious as to why the chipped kays are not on US models.

I would imagine the insurance companies in the US would like an immobilizer system.

--G
I'm curious as to why the chipped kays are not on US models.

I would imagine the insurance companies in the US would like an immobilizer system.
[Friday]

Too complicated for Americans to understand
mda.gif

In any case, the keys are so bendy and they wouldn't be able to get cheap replacements, so they'd moan even more.

[/Friday]

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have the black '14 ES, one of the main differences between the bike you purchased (other than colour) and the US counterpart is that the US model can switch to Kms per hour whereas the Canadian model does not have this option. I think that this is ridiculous as many Canadian riders head south of the border, even my '04 Ducati ST3 will switch to MPH. This where the GPS comes in handy.

Have fun with your new bike - spring is right around the corner.

Mike

Too complicated for Americans to understand
mda.gif

In any case, the keys are so bendy and they wouldn't be able to get cheap replacements, so they'd moan even more.
When I bought my FJR from a friend, both key rings had two Yamaha keys - one chipped and one not. I asked why and he told me that the first time he bent a chip key in the luggage and had to buy a replacement (and get the dealer to program it), he decided to get a non-chip key to operate everything but the ignition. I've continued to use that approach.

To the OP's question, when I signed up here and put Canada, my only choice was "world".

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have the black '14 ES, one of the main differences between the bike you purchased (other than colour) and the US counterpart is that the US model can switch to Kms per hour whereas the Canadian model does not have this option. I think that this is ridiculous as many Canadian riders head south of the border, even my '04 Ducati ST3 will switch to MPH. This where the GPS comes in handy.

Mike

Do they have paved roads in the Yukon?? Just kidding!! Back in the 80's I drove up to Alaska a couple times and really enjoyed the Yukon. Some sizable Moose roaming alone the highway.

Mike

Do they have paved roads in the Yukon?? Just kidding!! Back in the 80's I drove up to Alaska a couple times and really enjoyed the Yukon. Some sizable Moose roaming alone the highway.
Yes, all two of them, fair question all of the main roads - Alaska, Klondike highway are paved or chip-sealed (kinda rough on MC tires) for the most part. Given how long the Alaska Highway is there is always some construction happening in our somewhat short summer.

Mike

Mike
The Canadian 2016 models now allow you to change from KLm's to MPH & temp from Celsius (°C) to Fahrenheit (°F)

Thanks for all the feedback! I guess I'll call it a world bike once the snow is gone and I get it on the road it will improve my world anyways!
smile.png

Thanks, Ingie