Real Time Industries light brackets on Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndv21

Reaction score
I have been looking for the most convenient brackets to install my aux lights that came off of my Vstrom for quite some time now. The biggest issue that I had was the fact that since they are square, they would look funky with the way most brackets "tilt" to the side and my ADD would totally kill me. So anyways, here are the Denali D4 lights that I have and wanted to mount on the FJR:

d4-pair-2014_new_web_1_1.jpg

After doing more and more research I found that Alex over at real time industries had a pretty cool design, but I noticed he had discontinued production and that his mounts did not specify if they would fit the Gen 3s or not. So after some conversation, I mentioned to him that I would be willing to be his ginnie pig if he ever had these back in stock and luckily he made a run of these and let me know. In full disclosure, I paid retail price for these brackets. Here is the link for the

https://www.realtimeindustries.com/yamaha-fjr1300-light-mounts/

I knew that in order to install these brackets, I needed to take off the mirror mounts, so i wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone. The side mirrors are completely useless for me in terms of visibility, so I opted for ordering the mirror extensions from twisted throttle in order to actually see whats going on behind me. I crossed my fingers and hoped that everything would align properly in order to use these 2 items in conjunction.

The extensions arrived and I was ready to tear into this project. After removing the mirrors, I went ahead and test fitted the brackets directly onto the bike as if I was not installing mirror extensions (in order to provide fitment feedback to Alex on the Gen 3). As you can see below, the bracket will work directly on the gen 3, but the problem is that there is no spacer between the brackets and the fairing due to the curvature of the fairing itself. If I wasn't installing the mirror extensions, I personally would not mount the bracket directly onto the fairing without some type of spacer/rubber pad, etc.

IMG_03561_zpsxiphqu7j.jpg

IMG_03571_zpsuvsxt4qe.jpg

IMG_03581_zpsdjawchyu.jpg

Lucky for me, I was installing the mirror extensions so in essence, no harm no foul. Here is how the rest of the project went along:

Mirror extension / fairing. (Note the light bracket fitting perfectly between the spacer and the mirror itself)

IMG_03601_zpswhrxhmvy.jpg

Top to bottom view of the extention, bracket, and mirror connecting with each other:

IMG_03591_zpsgvnkkoz5.jpg

Front view of the final product:

IMG_03611_zpsgz28phco.jpg

Side view:
IMG_03621_zpsnszmgebs.jpg

Another side view:
IMG_03631_zpsfw46movr.jpg

Mounting complete (wiring still needs to be done). Please excuse the bug carcasses:

IMG_03641_zpsfdazbgj8.jpg

Final thoughts...I like these mounts, particularly because the denali lights are squared and look awkward if they were off centered. The brackets are sturdy and very well made. If you have a Gen 1 or Gen 2, I believe they fit perfectly fine. For the Gen 3, a spacer would be a nice addition unless you are installing in conjunction with mirror extenders.

Happy riding!

So, do these work well as far as increasing light intensity? I do travel at night at times (leave for work at 4:30 am) and would like to increase lighting.

I like the looks of these and even though they are a bit spendy (most high intensity lights are) at >$300, I would not consider that a barrier to consideration.

Dan

It's a real shame that nobody makes the Skyway aux lights brackets, these were by far the best. I have been using mine with the Baja HIDs for the past nine years and hope they will last the life of the bike since all the other brackets out there don't come close...
206304494-L.jpg

206302097-L.jpg

JamesK, those are some really nice brackets indeed. I was looking for something like that but could not find any brackets that would make my Denalis stand upright, only angled sideways.

Bergmen, the Denali D4s are VERY bright. I haven't finished the wiring just yet, but I had them on my vstrom and they worked amazingly well. Some of my friends call them "The eyes of God". They were properly adjusted and even pointed downward a few degrees so as not to blind incoming traffic and even then, they really made the overhead highway signs completely light up to the point that you did not want to look at them! What I like the most is that they are a combination of spot and flood. I posted a video of them when they were on my vstrom:

JamesK, those are some really nice brackets indeed. I was looking for something like that but could not find any brackets that would make my Denalis stand upright, only angled sideways.
Bergmen, the Denali D4s are VERY bright. I haven't finished the wiring just yet, but I had them on my vstrom and they worked amazingly well. Some of my friends call them "The eyes of God". They were properly adjusted and even pointed downward a few degrees so as not to blind incoming traffic and even then, they really made the overhead highway signs completely light up to the point that you did not want to look at them! What I like the most is that they are a combination of spot and flood. I posted a video of them when they were on my vstrom:

Outstanding, that is exactly what I need to know, thanks!

Dan

Interesting article, as I am in the market for light brackets for my 2009 model. But I take it that from this that these Real Time brackets are no longer available?

My days of night time commuting are thankfully well past, and my real interest in these lights is not so much to see as to be seen (been to too many funerals following the "I didn't see him" claim by the driver)

Are there any other options as good as these seem to be?

Richard

Update: I ordered a pair of these to mount on my Toyota Tundra as a "guinea pig" to see how they perform. I just finished the mounting and testing and these are amazing lights! I have them relayed to my high beams and they light up from the front of my bumper to the horizon and very wide. No "hot spots" just lights everything up in front of you. The only downside is when I go back to my stock low beams, it seems like I am holding a candle in front of the bumper.

Now I want to work on a way to mount a set of these to the Feej...

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Glad you like them!

The old skyway type brackets (I have a set made by Garauld, I think) were effective on the first and second gens because the mirror mount was flush to the front of the faring. So the back side of the vertical part rested heavily on the faring surface and helped to support whatever weight moment you had dangling on the end.

Problem with the 3rd Gen is the recessed area that the mirrors mount into is not uniformly recessed into the faring surface. So resting the bracket on the faring is a more difficult option. That's why these 3rd Gens need a stiffer bracket to support the lights, whatever they are.

I've shown and helped develop way to use relatively light LED Aux lights on 3rd Gens using the WynPro Anti-Vibe bracket style mounts. I'm clearly biased but I think that hugging the contour of the faring surface, they look a lot better than the horizontal "wing" style brackets from the past, and the smaller profile LR4's are nice as compared to some of the other options.

YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator: