Lifetime mileage accumulations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro

Innocent Bystander
Reaction score
I am curious to have the impressions of serious long distance riders about possible lifetime mileage accumulations.

I've seen results from various mileage contests over the years, and I've seen some BMW MOC numbers for lifetime accumulations, but I can't recall seeing anything from this group, many of whose members are accomplished long distance riders.

What precipitated this question is that there is a fellow who has been a member of the Wisconsin State Legislature who claims to have ridden over 2,000,000 miles on Harleys.

I've known a lot of Harley guys who talk about having 300,000 or 400,000 miles on one bike, but I know how much they ride, and I know that they're exaggerating. But I don't know if 2,000,000 miles is really a feasible total for a lifetime, especially for someone who is only recently turning to the SS Full Retirement Age of 66.

So ... if you put a pencil to the 2,000,000 mile idea, if you rode 40,000 miles a year for 50 years, you'd be there. Does anyone actually maintain the passion for 40,000 mile per year riding over a 50 year span? 50 years ago, in 1967, there were few motorcycles that would have been capable of going 40,000 miles ... the Hondas were reliable enough I suppose, but most others weren't, and the 750 and the Gold Wing were still just a glimmer in the eye of Soichiro Honda.

Here's the claim. What do you think?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Zien

Incidentally, I thought this had been discussed here some years ago, but I don't find anything on the forum when I search for David Zien.

Edit: the other thing that precipitated this question is that thread about the fellow who is going to ride over 2,000 miles in one day on a closed track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zien came up in one thread a couple of years ago. He's the guy who apparently had a warranty claim denied by Harley because he flew flags on his bike and the extra wind resistance caused transmission failure...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158093-flag-voids-warranty-on-harley/?hl=zien

He also claimed 1,000,000 miles on a single Harley Davidson - if true, I wonder how much was original at the end or how many times the engine was rebuilt?

I have no idea whether his claim of 2M miles is adequately documented but it seems hard to believe for someone who worked full time and lived in the northern states. Let's just say I'm skeptical!

My goal is to have a paltry 1,000,000 miles on bikes currently in the stable. I'm on track to meet that goal.
Shame to you Mssr. Carver!

Who in the CBA has authority to initiate impeachment proceedings for so central an offense to the association's charter purpose?

I am only averaging 12K per year on average from when I started in 2007. A million miles - not looking likely at this time. Where is my CBA #?

My goal is to have a paltry 1,000,000 miles on bikes currently in the stable. I'm on track to meet that goal.
I guess I better put a couple more back together.
rolleyes.gif

I am not a passionate long distance rider. In a good year when obligations and weather cooperate, i do about 18,000 miles. In a year when medical or other crises intrude, I may do 3,000. My lifetime total will be far less than 1,000,000.

But this claim of Zien's seems so implausible as to be ludicrous. Especially for someone with a job in Wisconsin.

It sounds like I'm not the only doubter. Where are Wikipedia's editors when you need them?

BMW awards riders for every 100,000 miles done on BMW bikes. Annie went over 100,000 last year. It took her eight years; four years living in Fairbanks, AK and four in Montana. The two guys that are shown with the most miles on BMWs have 1.8 and 1.7 million miles (this is year old data). I know one of them, Dave. He is in his mid 80s and still owns all the BMWs he rode, although many are now barn ornaments. All of this in my mind casts doubt on Mr. Zien's claim. For him to achieve 2 million miles in 20 less years then Dave is hard to imagine.

He is indeed on the IBA's list of riding 1 million miles on 1 bike. Listed as taking him 19 years to do.

My own goal is to ride 1/4 million on 4 different gens on FJRs. I started in '09 (Late start) I have been averaging over 40k a year

and also working full time, so I believe his claim. I also believe there is a lot more to his history to be discovered.

From the IBA site:

Code:
"Life Time Acheivement Award (documented 1,000,000 miles on ONE motorcycle!):Name              State    Years      Year    Motorcycle             MileageDave Zien         WI        19        2009    1991 H-D FXRT          1,005,830"