2016ES Engine Light and Rear Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDave1969

Reaction score
I started my 2016ES yesterday morning and the engine light stayed lit. I went through the menus and the only thing that doesn't seem right is that I cannot adjust the rear preload. It just skips to the next item without displaying the rear preload. I rode the bike about 400 miles between yesterday and today and it drives great. No engine issues or other problems, other than the rear preload still not able to be adjusted. I am bringing it to the dealer as soon as I can to let them check it out. It has about 9,200 miles on it so far. Could it be the stepper motor or a fuse to the motor?

how are you clearing the code ?? how did you determine it was related to the key, slow turn or not on all the way ?? thanks !!
See post #2
Seems my questions are unanswered.?? Or am i missing something?

The key can be not turned on all the way, or turned slow, or not related because the code has not been pulled.

How were they going to clear the code?

See post 2 doesn't answer those questions, like originally asked

I ordered the OBD adapter online. I have Torque Pro on my phone and a bluetooth adapter. I'll clear the code myself. Don't trust the dealer. When I bring it in for new tires and state inspection in April, I'll have them flash the ECU to prevent any future CEL problems. I love this forum. Ya'll are way smarter than me...

I ordered the OBD adapter online. I have Torque Pro on my phone and a bluetooth adapter. I'll clear the code myself. Don't trust the dealer. When I bring it in for new tires and state inspection in April, I'll have them flash the ECU to prevent any future CEL problems. I love this forum. Ya'll are way smarter than me...
thanks !! makes sense now.

08FJR4ME no clue what you were trying to say. how does a search explain why HIS engine light came on ?? see post # didn't explain anything either.

there is no way to pull the code from the dash, and i'm guessing the light can come on for more than 1 reason, at least it lists many codes in my 16 service manual.

A simple google search came up with this in less than 2 minutes.

2016 FJR1300 Check Engine Light On

Postby NTXFJR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:49 pm

There are a couple of cel error light on threads that were started in the other forum. I thought I'd start one here too to keep things up to date over here as well.

So earlier this year, a few members had been experiencing cel events on their new '16's for no real apparent reason. The ecu would log event P1601 which is defined as sidestand deployed while in gear.

After many posts of input from different folks, I noticed that I seem to be the only one posting that was having more than just one or two of these events.

So, because mother ship's customer service was basically useless on this issue - all they could do was refer me to the dealer for further inspection which I'd already done a number of times, and the dealer was waiting on the fix from mother ship because they already knew what the issue was - at event #4, I finally called my dealer's service manager and begged him to get a hold of the factory's tech support and get some skinny on what might be causing this issue so I wouldn't have to be wasting my time as well as his while waiting on a factory fix.

The answer he got was that the bike's main relay was double pulsing the ecu during a slow key on, or partial key on while trying to start. In my case, it seemed to be the first one, AdamK in the other forum posted that he was able to recreate a cel event under the second one.

Adam's fix was to buy the OBDII adapter cable to fit a standard code scanner to the bike's connector harness. I did the same when I experienced event #5 about 3 weeks ago. I ended up downloading an app for my iphone, and once configured, it works great. I was able to read the logged events and reset them as well.

This morning, I got a call from my dealer's service manager, He informed me that mother ship has just released a service bulletin to address this issue. It apparently is just a simple ecu reflash.

A simple google search came up with this in less than 2 minutes.
2016 FJR1300 Check Engine Light On

my questions still stand, how do you and google know exactly why the light came on without pulling the code ?? from your logic, the flash should make the check engine light never come on again, since the key is the only code it can set according to your logic

i was very aware of the Possible cause of the light by the key not being turned all the way causing a no start and light prior to asking my first question in post #3.

Last edited by a moderator:
The symptoms were the same in my case to previous discussions. Essentially, the clue was being locked out of the rear suspension adjustment. When I read that, I realized that I had inadvertently done the same thing to trigger the CEL. Believe me, a lot of things went through my head during my ride on Friday and Saturday. Every sound was scrutinized and I thought I might damage the bike by driving it with the CEL on. However, I remember reading that the '16 had been having the side stand issue, or so we thought. It actually turns out that I turned the key too slow or tried to start before full turn. Either way, the clue was the lockout. Simple fix.

There could be more...but this is the only one that has plagued the 16's so far. The FJR is pretty bullet proof, as most previous owners already know. Stress less, and ride more.

Last edited by a moderator: