The B-17G Bomber

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusorelius

Reaction score
Today we went over to the Kingman airport to look at a "flying fortress" a restored touring B-17G bomber that was here this weekend. One of only 4 still flying, I believe. I'll have a little video made up tomorrow.....

32960186076_6fda4f9cde_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, one of my favorite war bird! I have the chance to see him regularly. "The pink lady" is parc at 60 miles from my house
It is the last B17 in flight condition to have experienced war missions during the WW.

Unfortunatly, for cost reason, IT doesn't flight since 2010, but last year, it's wings were inspect by boing in order to flight again.

Had the opportunity to ride in the Aluminum Overcast several years ago. Amazingly humbling crawling in and realizing how fragile those things are. No armor, no insulation, just a thin skin over tubes, with mammoth engines strapped to the wings, and once manned by real men of the greatest generation. And what a thrill once we were up! Here's one of my favorite shots, looking past the Norden bombsight and the .50 cals onto a farmstead below.

B17Nose_zpswtrq7l0z.jpg

Looking forward to the video!

Nice Picture! I walked through "Aluminum Overcast" many years ago during one of its many appearances here in California (way back in ~'98 I think?). A few weeks after that, my future wife and I were having dinner on the Space Needle in Seattle and there it was again.... flying around the city along with a B24 Liberator. Both have been making a regular appearance here in the SF Bay area and their regular ride route has them making many passes over my house in South San Jose. There's also a 2 seater P-51 offering rides but you see that much less as it's about $3000 for a 45 min ride I think ?

Regards,

Mr. BR

Good timing! Just watched "Unbroken" last night and after having walked through one in the past I'm still amazed how thin and simple these things were.

Last spring I fulfilled a bucket list item and flew out to San Diego to ride in the Collings Foundation's B-17 "Nine-O-Nine" with two of my pals. We flew out of Carlsbad airport, where I got my pilot's license back in '93, so that was an added bonus.

100_2168_zpsuxoofqao.jpg

On our flight was a 16 year old young man, along with several members of the "Old Bold Pilot's Club". These gentlemen had been there, done that, got the T-shirts and it was great to listen to their stories as we waited for our turn. Then I got to talking to that 16 year old.

100_2187_zpszzjvxf6f.jpg

He had researched an uncle (maybe a great-uncle) for a school paper. He was I believe a bombardier on B-17's in WWII. Ever since, this kid has been fascinated by WWII and the B-17 in particular. He was so excited to be on this flight! I reminded him as we were taxiing that his relative would have been not more than a couple of years older than him when he flew his missions. It was a great feeling to know that there are some younger generation-type folks still interested and respectful of what our elders did for their country.

100_2223_zpsaged8amq.jpg

Thanks for that! My uncle flew 25 missions as a co-pilot against the 3rd Reich from RAF Molesworth. After the war he was in Tokyo as part of the occupation force when the Korean war broke out and he flew another dozen missions.

He died 4 years ago at 95 but I still remember all the stories he told.

Fantastic plane! I heard a noise while riding along, maybe 20 some years ago, and looked up to see a B-17 flying low over me. Rode my bike right up on someones lawn!

I have a friend that fcaptained Liberators in WWII, listening to his stories, which he just started telling me at when he turned 90 years young, are amazing. I missed a chance to go up in

a Fortess (didn't have the money) so I am SO jealous of those of you that have had the chance!

Hey, I just read the news this morning, for those who like air show, this year, the "Patrouille de France", The aerobatic flight patrol of the French army will be in the united states of america for the commemoration of the entry of the US war during the first world war. They will do 12 meetings from coast to coast, and on several occasions will make aerobatic demonstrations with the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels.

Last edited by a moderator: