Bar adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sks700

Reaction score
The owners manual says the bars are adjustable. "take it to the dealer". Bullshit! How do I adjust them on a 2016? How much change from stock is available?

Thanks.

After I posted this I found a video on youtube.

Thanks anyway.

Admin: delete if you want

Last edited by a moderator:
are the changes noticeable at all ?? does it change the angle of the bars or just the distance from the seat ?? does it change the angle of them, say the far one make the bars less angled and the closest more angled ??

i have watched the how to video, just haven't seen the changes explained.

thanks much !!

Not much they come in middle position I moved to closest going to add risers at end of week.I will reposition the bars in a wider position.

I think to most average sized people like me (5-10, 185-ish) the repositioning is noticeable. Is it huge? Depends on the individual. No angles are changed, just closer or farther away.

thanks, i have watched that, but didn't see a part of the effect of the change, if that makes sense. (if it is in there)

I think to most average sized people like me (5-10, 185-ish) the repositioning is noticeable. Is it huge? Depends on the individual. No angles are changed, just closer or farther away.

thanks, did you find closer or further away seems better, i'm about the same height, just a tic fatter, lol

<snip> thanks, did you find closer or further away seems better, i'm about the same height, just a tic fatter, lol
About the same size here...I prefer the closer position, less lean to the bars. Kept mine in the rear position until installing a old style Heli triple clamp.

--G

thanks, did you find closer or further away seems better, i'm about the same height, just a tic fatter, lol
I prefer them closer + added 1" Genmar risers to help take some weight off the wrists and elbows. I scored a brand new, never used old style Heli Clamp this winter. When I quit being lazy I'll order the +3" brake line and install it.

DSCN0579.jpg

I have mine in the forward position (my other bike is a sportbike). Can't tell very much difference. The positions are all pretty similar.

I prefer them closer + added 1" Genmar risers to help take some weight off the wrists and elbows. I scored a brand new, never used old style Heli Clamp this winter. When I quit being lazy I'll order the +3" brake line and install it.

DSCN0579.jpg
This is the exact setup (closest + 1" risers) I plan to do with mine this Spring...if it doesn't work as well as I hope, then I'll look at other, more complex setup (riser plates, etc.).

Question: Assuming you're roughly my size (6'1", 34" inseam), does this setup (closest + 1" risers) put you in a roughly upright position, or are you still feeling weight in your wrists and palms?

Check out MV riser plate in numerous other previous posts, fits without changing brake/clutch/wiring and gives good range of adjustment.

[img=[URL="https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/rbentnail/FJR%20Risers/DSCN0579.jpg%5D"]https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/rbentnail/FJR%20Risers/DSCN0579.jpg][/URL]
This is the exact setup (closest + 1" risers) I plan to do with mine this Spring...if it doesn't work as well as I hope, then I'll look at other, more complex setup (riser plates, etc.).

Question: Assuming you're roughly my size (6'1", 34" inseam), does this setup (closest + 1" risers) put you in a roughly upright position, or are you still feeling weight in your wrists and palms?

I'm just an average guy, 5'10", 30" inseam. Even with the 1" Genmars I pictured above, the bars all the way back and the seat in low I still get a bit of weight on the wrists, palms and elbows but for me it's manageable. Part of the plan is to install my Heli top plate (old style) and re-evaluate. I can then add the Genmar risers back on if I feel the need.

Wish I could help a little more but I don't have a lot of experience being 6-1
no.gif
. Adding risers or the Heli bridge-style riser isn't really a big undertaking and they're (especially riser blocks) relatively cheap. Shop around (ebay!) & give some a try and see what you get. A top plate replacement like the MV Motorad is more expensive and more involved but offers more options for angle. I'd start on the cheap particularly if you're comfortable doing the work yourself.