Neutral indicator light not working.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRidge

Reaction score
Hi, new member here. Apologies as I think this topic has been discussed but I've looked through previous ones and can't find definite answer.

My light stopped working after got back from garage who had to change the receiver on the immobiliser as was not receiving key code. They obviously said this was just a coincidence.

The neutral function works in as much as can start bike in neutral with side stand down etc and engine cuts out if side stand placed down while in gear. So suspect switch is ok. Was going to take out gear indicator switch and see if everything looks ok and just give a general clean. I can trace wire to first connector block under side panel but then gets way too complicated for me. Is there anything I can check with multi meter at this point or does it have to go into dealer. Have asked about it at the dealer but they seem to just say major job to replace bulb in instrument cluster. Is it likely that a bulb has gone - does it even have a replaceable bulb? Bike is a European version 2010 FJR1300 many thanks in advance.

Thanks, I read this thread but I don't have any issues starting bike with side stand down and clutch lever not applied. Think this would rule out the actual switch.

At the time, I was pretty sure that mine would not start with the sidestand down but bike in neutral but it is a bit fuzzy now. In any case, you can easily check the switch with an ohmmeter. Follow the wire from the plug back and it has a simple connector. On the contact end, a pin in the transmission makes contact with one of 6 pads on the switch, connecting each to ground. You can check it by checking continuity of each. Conversely, you can ground each of the pins on the bike-side of the connector and see what happens in the display. Each gear should show up on the display. For neutral, the display should be blank but the neutral light on.

Otherwise, I can't help. Seems to me someone had a neutral light problem coupled with a non-functioning windshield - is yours working?

Yes, my wind shield works fine, checked through this thread as well. Got a feeling it's the wiring further up from the gear indicator. Just trying to rule out anything obvious and do any simple check. As mentioned dealers just say could be a 3 - 4 hour job so not sure if worth it as everything else works fine.