New Boots - TCX Drifter WP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
I've been riding with TCX X-Five Evo Gore-Tex Touring boots for the past three seasons.

tcxx_five_evo_gore_tex_boots_zoom.jpg
I love them, they are roomy enough in the top to handle my large calves.

In preparation for my trip to Alaska, I began researching "Adventure" Boots that would provide a little more shin and lower leg protection. Forma's technical department told me that their Adventure and Terra Boots would fit up to an 18" calf in size 10. Gaerne never got back to me.

I was set on Forma Terra Boots and was about to order a pair when I took the opportunity to discuss the matter with Alex at Black Hills Moto. Alex reminded me that the TCX boots that I have fit me well and suggested I try a set of their "Drifter WP" (Water Proof) boots. I had him order me a set and I rode the Blue Beast up to his store this morning after PT.

The Drifter Boots fit great, the foot fits just like my Touring Boots and the Tall Calf is quite adjustable, easily encompassing my Fat Leg. The three latches are extendable through quite a range and they close in an over center fashion that feels quite secure. The boots are quite a bit stiffer than my touring boots. I wore them home and took a few gravel/dirt roads on the way. They are quite comfortable to stand on the pegs in and really felt good. I can shift the KLR ok but may adjust the shifter up one notch for a little more toe room, the Rear Brake Lever needs to go down a hair for ease of application.

I can't wait to try them on the FJR as well as I think I'll like the extra height and extra shin protection.

I think they will work great for my trip to Inuvik and Alaska. If you're looking for a new pair of boots give Alex Johnson a shout.

tcx_drifter_wp_boots_vintage_brown_zoom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at these just this morning. They look excellent, except for the spider-web, which surely must have narrowly won over a unicorn-rainbow print. No one will see this anyway. I don't wear (or even own) motorcycle specific boots, preferring danner Acadias. But these might change that. Keep us posted, John.

I am an Oxtar cum TCX fan. Those look like great dual sport / adventure touring boots. I wouldn't let the graphics bother me since my riding pants would go over them. I don't tuck my pants in anymore even when off-roading

Had to send my new boots back last week. I went up to a size 11 which I have never worn before. I had all I can do to get the size 10 on. Waiting for them to show up.

Dave

I'd be interested as well to hear how these work out. I'd be up for a comfortable-enough boot that provides good protection for a variety of riding conditions.

good luck

ps - what's wrong with some Spiderman-looking accessories? This is how I roll on occasion:

maxresdefault.jpg

I've worn these on several rides now. I really like them, will require a little FJR shifter adjustment for your toe. They work great on the KLR. The break in has made them a little more flexible, but they still provide greaT protection. Haven't ridden in Rain or Wet yet. I'm going to wear these to YFO I think.

The other part that will be of interest is how hot they are when things warm up. They (TCX) do also make a GoreTex ADV boot, but I'm sure that comes at a steep premium.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GoreTex boots from TCX usually run about $100 more than their proprietary Membrane waterproof system. My Touring boots are TCX GoreTex, never a problem with them.