Eastbound on I-10 thru Houston, TX tomorrow and want to know best bypass route

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
On a bit of journey from Tucson to New Orleans and after spending 5 days in San Antonio awaiting some parts, I'm eastbound again tomorrow (Thursday). No desire to ride thru downtown Houston on the freeway (heading for Lake Charles area for Thursday night), so looking for guidance from local folks to avoid the worst traffic.

Just happen to be sitting in my BIL's house in Houston off 6 between 290 & 10. Got there from Hobby Intl via 8. On Sunday we went to S.A. via 10 and sailed right through, making it in under three hours with no memorable construction.

Just kicked it around here in the family room and they couldn't offer much in the way of alternative routes. But, figuring three hours from SA to here, then another three to Baton Rouge, they didn't think you'd suffer too much in traffic. I asked about routing around south via 8 (toll road) but they felt if you hit here around noon you shouldn't have it bad staying on 10 straight thru. If it was closer to rush hour though then 8 might be a little easier.

Sorry I can't be of more help but from what I've seen of the sprawl here I don't think you're going to find many FJR enjoyable backroads without going far out of your way. Weather is great though! :) Good luck.

Load this on your phone: https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/ Green is good and avoid red.

Generally mid day isn't bad at all. Morning inbound and evening outbound rush hour on I-10 can be miserable if going with the traffic flow. On this map you can click on the roads and there are graphs indication the worst time of day for the roads. Beltway 8 and Hwy 99 are both toll roads with eazy tag only. I would stay on I-10 and hit it between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm.

From the center of Houston, on a traffic free day ( which doesn't exist, it will be no less than 4.5 hrs to Baton Rouge. And that's with a rolling average of 70 plus.

There is no good way to get through Houston. U just need luck. KickStand's up no later than 530 am. Or be prepared to be stuck in traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too late, but that never stopped me from offering advice ....

Last summer, 50CC ride, four FJRs rode through downtown Houston at about 7 pm (IIRC) and didn't drop below 60 mph the entire way through.

It was a miracle.

Went pretty smooth, used the HOV lane as much as I could which helped me a lot the last 2 or 3 ,isles into downtown as I could see traffic bumper to bumper stopped below me. The lane dumped me into city streets downtown but it was easy to jump back on I-10 east and traffic was easy from there.

Overnighting in New Iberia and looking for some good Cajun food. This ride from Tucson originally had Key West as the destination but a forced 5 day layover in San Antonio with brake issues is going to short cut the trip into 2-3 days in New Orleans and then up to Jackson for a couple of days before returning west.

Man, I hate riding slab. So many jackasses. Plus, Trucks pulling out to take 2 miles or more to pass another line of trucks because they can go 3 mph faster.

Man, I hate riding slab.

^ +1IMO The routing is not so important as your timing.

Just hope there is no accidents ….
Left this morning with what I thought was plenty of time to return the car and catch the flight. Fifteen minutes after leaving I'm stopped dead on Rte. 8 due to an accident and immediately gave you full credit for the jinx.
devilsmiley.gif
tonguesmiley.gif
Made it to the airport though but with very little time to spare.

I'm playing with wifey in Florida. If I was home, I'd be happy to show you around. You should have no problem finding something good to eat. Good luck!