To repair or not ? -- UPDATE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
My Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots need new soles. Practically no rubber on their fronts and sides.

They're approx 5 years old, beautifully broken in and I love them.

Three shoe repair shops will NOT resole them :-( ... Last shoe repair outfit said he used to charge $120.00 for a repair that wouldn't last.!!

I contacted Alpinestars, gave them all the relevant info needed in an email with photo's, and they WILL repair them for $100.00 --- a third of the cost of new Alpinestars Web's.

Seems like a good deal to me --- what say you guys ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quit dragin' your feet.

(Friday rules in effect...everyday is Friday when you're retired)
punk.gif

Will they guarantee?
Is the rest of the boot in exceptionally good shape?
Still waterproof?

Get your brakes fixed and quit the Fred Flintstone stopping method!!
smile.png

Edit: Tom is faster than I am!!

Well,sounds like a good deal but,the Gore-Tex membrane that they have inside is the best but,this thing is 5 years old and in a short time perhaps will not keeps dry your feet anymore..

From what i hear this thing has a 5-6 +/- years life.

I would buy a new pair of boots..

My opinion
smile.png

I have an old pair of BMW boots that I really like for summer wear. I have resoled the boots twice alread and will do soles again if the boot uppers stay together.

So my answer if yes, resole.

If you like the boots you have, why would you want to replace them with an unknown quantity if you can get the ones you like repaired? Go for it. I doubt very much that the manufacturer would send back a pair of boots as repaired that were not up to their usual quality.

I would gladly resole a pair of boots I liked. I've had enough trouble getting boots that I really liked and found comfortable so when I do I will take the necessary steps to keep them for as long as humanly possible.

I have a pair of FreyDaytona boots that went back to the factory for rebuild after 120k miles. They went back on the same boot last they were built on and were done properly. When they came back they looked nearly new, and will hold up for another 120k, provided I use them for riding and use walking shoes for walking. I carry a pair of NewBalance walkers in my right saddlebag at all times. Consider them an investment. While they were gone I bought a second pair so I would not be without.

Send them in and let the boot makers do their magic.

Brodie

😉

Try Nicks boots in San Ramone, CA. Get a price. They do great work. I've had at least 4 done so far...

I had a pair of Dainese Gore-Tex boots that the soles came off of after 10k miles. Dainese wouldnt do anything without the receipt so I wrote them off and said I wouldnt buy from them again. I scored a new pair of tcx gortex boots on ebay for $100. Thats a $250 pair of boots and they are a lot more comfortable the the daineses.

Well,sounds like a good deal but,the Gore-Tex membrane that they have inside is the best but,this thing is 5 years old and in a short time perhaps will not keeps dry your feet anymore..From what i hear this thing has a 5-6 +/- years life.

I would buy a new pair of boots..

My opinion
smile.png
5-6 year life !? Who knew? Not me!

Another good question for them.

Rog,

I have a pair of Hallman MX boots from the early 80's that are sooooo comfortable,(never say never), that I'll never part with them. Protection isn't up to par with the newer models, but for slow speed trials type riding, they're the best. So yes, resole and keep em' going!

Re: the waterproofness of the boots after extended use, doesn't Gore guarantee waterproofing in any garment that uses their pricey membrane for life? Maybe not, but I thought that was how they justified their cost.

I just visited 3 separate web sites that looked into the Gore-Tex Guarantee.

..Seems they may not guarantee if the product using the Gore-Tex membrane is compromised.

..No Warrantee if built before 1999.

..Probably need a receipt.

My first pair of "proper" m/cycle boots practically fell off me with wear and tear, but the Gore-Tex still kept my feet dry. So I'm not so worried about the Gore-Tex life.

Still awaiting a 2nd reply from Alpinestars.

Soooo, like do you ever ride in the rain anymore Rog? Just line your socks with Wonder Bread bags if it's moist out there.

Spend the 100 clams and be happy
smile.png

Like the others, I'd resole those boots and ride like the wind! I've never resoled MC boots, but I've done a lot of sets of cowboy boots. I did one set of Bullhide boots 5 times before the leather finally wore out. Never had a problem!