Post Valve Check Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastSpy

Reaction score
I completed a valve check on my FJR which was relatively easy except the coolant pipe over

the valve cover.. It certainly is difficult to ensure that everything is dirt free prior to removal. I followed all the suggestions on the forum which were helpful. As a follow up after completing the check and re-installing the valve cover I disconnected the inlet hose to the water pump and poured some distilled water down the coolant pipe holes to rinse anything that may have dropped down during removal out of the coolant passages.

Buttoned everything back up and when installing the left side fairing I came up with an extra bolt that was in the group of fasteners for that assembly. I can't figure out where this bolt goes. I pulled the fairings off again and re-installed and still end up with the extra bolt. Also removed and installed the two lower dash components hoping to find a missing hole.. nope no lock.

The bolt has a shoulder and does not have the clear thin plastic washer as found on those bolts that secure the plastic fairings. There appears to be some corrosion on the head so it may have been in a location with exposure to the elements.

I'm sure one of you guys might now what this fastener is for?

https://

https://

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it does not have the washer it is not a bolt that secures anything that is painted. I would look at a hard plastic location. Also seeing that the bolt has an approximately 1/4" shaft (no threads), it may go through a rubber grommet'd hole. I will surely yield to the 'gurus' of the forum but that's my two cents.

I'm with The Mount - my 1000 words:

(Click on image for larger view)

Edited to add - that one isn't supplied with a plastic washer (at least on any of my three FJRs), I made one out of milk-bottle plastic.

Thanks for the diagram. It is a valuable aid.. however #21 is the same bolt as #22 with the plastic washer. This bolt is definitely different due to the shoulder (non-thread) section near the button head.

I'm wondering if this fastener could be related to something else removed and I mixed up which component it belongs with?

Could this be used anywhere else? under the tank? closer to the removal of the valve cover? I'm puzzled..

Ok.. just checked again all diagrams from the link above and tried my best to recall what that bolt is for and I think I may have it narrowed down.. I did two other valve checks on my other bikes prior to this one and I faintly recall having an extra bolt for the desert tank on my FE501 along with the factory bolt that fastens through the center of the tank. That would explain the shoulder area of the extra bolt for spacing on the tank. I must have set the extra down on the cardboard and left it there without realizing and it got mixed in with the FJR fasteners. That is all I can come up with.. it is either that or something will fall off the FJR.

The other two culprits that participated in valve check weekend..

Having seen that shoulder, I don't think it's a bodywork screw, I think the only ones witch a significant shoulder are the larger ones that go in rubber grommets in the side panels. Maybe it is closer to the valve cover, though it doesn't look like a mechanical fastener.

One other possibility is that it was on the floor before you started stripping, not from the bike?

Okay Spy, you are guilty of withholding evidence.
pinch.gif

I don't consider that a shoulder bolt since there is a taper to the portion above the threads. As mentioned, it is likely made to go thru a rubber grommet on body work. I do not recall seeing such a fastener on my 2013. There are similar fasteners on my Super Tenere that are used to afix the front fender. Check your front fender.

Nope! You're all wrong! That bolt doesn't go on the FJR. None of the body panel exterior bolts have an unthreaded portion like that. And the ones that do, the ones that go thru grommets, have a true shoulder on them. That bolt does not have that.

I think things just got mixed up between bikes.

isn't it the front bolt for the side panels? Mine looks like that. Send it to me if you can't find where it goes mine is missing on the right side

Nope! You're all wrong! That bolt doesn't go on the FJR. None of the body panel exterior bolts have an unthreaded portion like that. And the ones that do, the ones that go thru grommets, have a true shoulder on them. That bolt does not have that.
I think things just got mixed up between bikes.
The Gen I FJRs certainly have a a bolt just like that. Cant remember Gen II + but I am with NMRR - Check side panel bolt locations.