CA reservior levels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All but one in excess of historical average and many approaching capacity. Good news for California after many years of not nearly enough. I hope there remains sufficient capacity to absorb the huge snow melt starting in a month or two! Maybe it is time for it to stop raining for awhile and let the aquifers have some time to absorb the excess and restore the water table. Water tables are still low from too many years of drought but it takes time to fill them.

I hope there remains sufficient capacity to absorb the huge snow melt starting in a month or two!
You wish. Those plans for capacity expansion were scuttled a couple or more years ago. Environmental concerns were overwhelmingly against it.
rolleyes.gif

Trying to keep this as apolitical as possible, but I remember discussing this capacity expansion with a former FJR riding friend, who was against reservoirs but for de-salination plants (not that those are free of environment concerns), and much more expensive, and perhaps not quite as practical or economical using technology which exists at this time.

Anyhow, I remember the conversation turned to hydration while riding motorcycles, and I remember telling him that the practical thing to do is to just use a Camelbak "reservoir", but he could bring his portable de-salination unit if so chooses.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^We already have a few reservoirs built for evaporative desalination. We call them oceans. Haha...As for the predicament California is finding itself in, I hope you and some others here live at decent elevations. If not, I've got a few hundred acres above 6k feet, that I'm willing to sell.

We really need this kind of water in the Colorado River Basin.

Lake Meade is still pretty low. At 1089 feet it is higher than the last two years at the same time but still 139 feet low

Last edited by a moderator:
As I rode by the variously depleted Ca. lakes, I wondered why "they" didn't make them deeper while the opportunity presented itself. Most California lakes are decades old and have silted up considerably. Just removing that silt would increase the lake's capacity within the current dam's design.

Mebbe too much time alone in my helmet ?

Why does mankind insist that it is the center of the universe? When you come to realize that we are all just along for the ride, sit back, and enjoy the ride, well everything all starts to make sense and you'll have a much better time.