Power for GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Angus
Reaction score
I just install my garmin 550 I want a keyed power supply. On the left fairing there is a square maybe for heated grips is there a power source under it does anyone know a good place to splice into.

Why are some of you on this forum just to be rude everytime I ask a question there is a rude answer but no help when I get a reply it is private cause the haters here will give them hell for helping. I did search but no help.

The lighter socket in the glove box is fine for powering a GPS. If the unit has a standard cigarette lighter plug, you're good to go. If it needs USB (or if you are using the socket to charge a phone via USB) you can get a 2 outlet USB adapter that plugs into the socket for under $10. Just don't try to run anything that draws more than about 3 amps or you will blow the fuse for the socket.

Hope this helps!

Thanks there are some good guy on this forum but a bunch of a holes that think they are to good to answer a question I have been away from the forum and FJR for a couple of years plus moved to gen 2 things are different

As you add farkles I think you will find a Fuze block to be the best long range solution.

Powerlet really rocks when it comes to mounting and electrical tie- ins… check out their web site here:

Shop By Vehicle - Powerlet Products

BTW- this forum has some issues, but the knowledge to be gained here is incredible. Search the forum via google and you may have

better results. If you can't find an answer, patience and a little thicker skin will aid your quest.

With all due respect this question has been asked so many times they get fed up with answering it.
Understood - but the question can be ignored if you don't want to answer. Options include say nothing, provide an answer to the question, or (respectfully) point the individual to a place where he might get an answer. No need to be rude about it (in my opinion). Maybe a hint about how and where to look provides some incentive to the newbie to seek the answer himself before asking (the next time).

On the other hand, some people never "get it" and need at least a little more "encouragement" to learn for themselves. Perhaps not to the point of nastiness but a little of that might be needed. It is the newbie's requirement to be thick-skinned about it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on this site for 12 yrs now, and it's always been that way. I recently wanted to find the bin-o-facts area for my model,couldn't find it anywhere, didn't dare ask. The same amount of energy was spent ridiculing you as would have spent answering the question.

TimK,

I agree. Even after searching numerous times and using photobucket I still can not post pictures or even get the quote option work. When I asked on the forum, I was made to fell very inadequate. I never brought it up again,(until now). This behavior is common on the forum for a minority of contributors. We would not want out kids to act this way so why would we?

On the other side, I would like to THANK the MAJORITY of the contrubutors to the forum for the help you have given. You are TERRIFIC!

TimK,I agree. Even after searching numerous times and using photobucket I still can not post pictures or even get the quote option work. When I asked on the forum, I was made to fell very inadequate. I never brought it up again,(until now). This behavior is common on the forum for a minority of contributors. We would not want out kids to act this way so why would we?

On the other side, I would like to THANK the MAJORITY of the contrubutors to the forum for the help you have given. You are TERRIFIC!
FYIQuote option doesn't work using Internet Explorer unless you turn off the "switch" in the upper left of the reply box. The same with linking an image - you have to have the "switch" turned off and paste the "IMG" format into your email - make sure the image is .jpg, not .jpeg or other format. The following photo was done by going to the Photobucket image, clicking on the IMG tag to copy followed by pasting here. Practice in the Testing area of the forum. (Send me a PM if it doesn't work for you)

Overall, the forum works better using Google Chrome than it does with Internet Explorer. (I use IE 11 most of the time but have learned the workarounds)

Last edited by a moderator:
To attempt to answer the question about power for a GPS - check under the seat on the left side for the blue and black wires that run back toward the taillight. The blue one is positive (switched) and the black is the ground. I was able to tap into these wires and then run the power up alongside the fuel tank to my GPS.

Just a thought OP- I chose to have my gps power UNswitched. For me there's always a need to check something, re-route something, find an eatery, whatever, when stopped. On my Garmin, running on the battery means a dimmer display- PITA on a bright day, and I don't want to leave my key on all the time or cycle it every time I want to check the gps. FOR ME, unswitched gps power is the way to go.

I just install my garmin 550 I want a keyed power supply. On the left fairing there is a square maybe for heated grips is there a power source under it does anyone know a good place to splice into.

I am surprised you didn't get flamed harder for not using the search function. Path of least resistance is tap the cig lighter outlet in the glove box. Switched and fused already. That outlet is fused at something really low, 2.5 amps I believe. About the only thing its good for is the GPS. Sure you could run relays and new fuse block, etc, but I would save that for larger power draws, like a compressor or heated clothing.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="angus" data-cid="1356728" data-time="1488058550"><p>

Why are some of you on this forum just to be rude everytime I ask a question there is a rude answer but no help when I get a reply it is private cause the haters here will give them hell for helping. I did search but no help.</p></blockquote>

Welcome back to being active on the forum Angus. I'm so sorry so many are being impatient assholes with your recent questions on the forum. There are a lot of options available to those that see an often asked question on the forum. Unfortunately many choose the popous ass option and take the opertunity to ridicule someone instead offering assistance to help you find the answer to your question. Keep your head up Angus, don't let the assholes discourage you from learning your way around the forum again because there is a lot of great people here.

Just a thought OP- I chose to have my gps power UNswitched. For me there's always a need to check something, re-route something, find an eatery, whatever, when stopped. On my Garmin, running on the battery means a dimmer display- PITA on a bright day, and I don't want to leave my key on all the time or cycle it every time I want to check the gps. FOR ME, unswitched gps power is the way to go.
For a few years I ran my GPSs switched, then on a recommendation by a fellow rallyer I changed them over to unswitched. One of the best things I ever did with my bike. GPSs draw so little power as it is.

Latest posts