Boots..what are YOU wearing?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompsonian

Mr. Christmas Pants
Reaction score
So..I'm a needing a new pair of boots. My old Sidi's have worn out their usefullness. Busted zipper, smashed toe, just worn out in general. I bought a pair of the Joe Rocket half boot and they rub a hellacious spot on my shin, so I'm up to looking for new boots. What kind are you folks wearing? Waterproof or not WP? I'm looking for something that is comfortable yet provides some good protection. Thinking I should at least consider waterproof as an option. What say ye oh mighty forum peoples?

Aerostich Combat Lights

Chippewas

BMW of some ilk

I have a set of Sidi Canyons that I never really liked and have not been worn much; guess I ought to sell them.

Sidi Canyon Goretex on the FJR - 10 years old and need re-soling

Sidi Adventure Goretex on the GSA

Sidi Crossfire TA on the DR (and sometimes the GSA)

I have long (48) narrow (B width) feet and Sidi fits me perfectly. Tried a few other brands over the years but always come back to Sidi.

I'd probably look at Combats too, since they are also made by Sidi.

Last edited by a moderator:
SIDI Armada, accept no substitute.

These are waterproof and breathable Gortex, super comfortable even on a road bike and for walking around in, while still offering great protection. I always keep the plastic side stiffeners on, since they don't detract from the comfort of these awesome boots. Amazingly, these boots also seem to work well in extremely hot weather. The shin padding is good but not thick enough to prevent bike pants from easily going over them.

The lug style soles offer great grip on the ground so no more pucker moments when your fancy race boot soles slip out from under you leaving you to try and catch a 650lb bike between your legs.

Sidi-Armada-Gore-Crossover.jpg

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/Sidi-Armada-Gore-Tex-Crossover/SubProducts/Sidi-Armada-Gore-Tex-Crossover-0007&Currency=AUD&Locale=en_AU&utm_source=Portalexport&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_term=Sidi%20Armada%20Gore-Tex%20Crossover%20Motorcycle%20Boots&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping_AU&gclid=Cj0KEQiAxeTFBRCGmIq_7rGt_r8BEiQANdPqUug8tWqdRS8IAd6Vo8GbHxrUNHwInZ8J_9GAZeeeDi8aAkqI8P8HAQ

You need to decide between waterproof or not. Here, I only ride in the rain if I'm caught out in it. If I planned a ride knowing I'd be in rain, I'd make different choices. So given the heat, I wear A* SMX boots which have great ventilation - SMX5 if I'm "headed to the hills", and SMX2 around town. Full size vs. ankle height - which are easier to walk in at Costco and such. If I get caught in the rain, they vent well and dry out pretty quickly. I don't mind damp feet in the Georgia heat. Your tolerance may vary..

Iron Pony. Try on 10 or 15 different styles and sizes at one place one time.

I settled on the Icon Accelerant. I wore them for about five years and liked them so much that I just bought another pair last week.

I went to Revzilla's actual store to buy a pair of boots. I had made my mind up on what I wanted. I have been using the Tourmaster Solution WP boots. They are extremely comfortable but they don't have the protection I want to ride with moving forward, but they were one of the few boots that was sold in wide sizes. I rolled up into Revzilla and said what I was looking for and he immediately said "I'm happy to go get them for you to try on, but let's go over the size by brand, briefly". He then started at the narrowest brand boot and went up in width from manufacturer to manufacturer. We determined after trying several narrower boots on that I really WANTED that it left me two options. Alpinestars or Daytona boots. Those two were cut much wider than something like the Dainese or Sidi's. I went with the Alpinestars S-MX 6 WP boots and so far, I'm really happy with them. They have vast amounts more protection than the Tourmaster boots I was wearing, and they are very comfortable. They were really stiff at first but they are getting broken in and they feel great on my feet.

I think boots are a bit like helmets. You have to get the ones that fit you with the protection level you're looking for. What fits me great might not fit you at all.

Pair 1: Tourmaster Solution WP 2.0 - a few years old now (already had them re-soled last year)

Pair 2: Alpine Stars Roam 2 Waterproof

Truth told, I have fallen back to using the Tourmaster boots for daily commutes/local rides, and rely upon the Alpine Stars for longer, out of town tours in any weather.

They're both excellent for my purposes and price point.

Tcx gortex. Best boots i have owned so far. The most comfortable by far. Tcx focuses on boots. Thats all they make.
They used to call them Oxtar Matrix now they are TCX X5. Same boot. Same reasonable colors. Same Gore Tex water resistance. Same all-day-walk-a-bility. The boot so nice, I've bought them thrice.

Great stuff! I'm in the market boots as well, and am looking for something almost like adventure boots, but not quite that heavy duty.

I like the look of the Sidi Armada, I may have to check pricing on those....

Biknflyfisher

TCX goretex here as well. I generally wear a wide boot and most others I tried were way too narrow.

I wear the Gaerne G Adventure Boots. Waterproof but not Goretex. They never let me down, but I admit, I coat them with SnoSeal also. Very comfy. Good to walk in. Great on the FJR... average on the DRZ. Long periods of standing show the soft sole. Need more support for standing for hours. 2nd pair. Tried the Sidi options but they didn't fit me well. Will probably try some Goretex TCX also one day when I wear these out again.

I ended up getting a pair of the Sidi Rain boots. I know how they fit, and went with what I knew. I appreciate all the input! I would MUCH rather have real world thoughts from folks who ride the same bike I do versus some twatmonkey with a YouTube channel

Currently Sidi Gortex Adventures. They are awesome boots.

Prior to that, I wore a pair of Diadoras, that I still have. Waterproof and well built. I still have them. They're not expensive, and I've put a lot of miles on them. Great boots. Look into them, depending on what your wallet looks like.

Waterproof boots are a must here in the PNW.

Tried the frugal method with Tourmaster Solution 2.0, but after a couple years was let down with moist toes. Moved to Sidi Tour Gore-Tex (which are on closeout now) and am thoroughly impressed. After reading reviews, I was initially concerned they might be too narrow but the fit is great for me. The size 45s fit my "D" width foot perfectly.

--G