Pillion Unhappy with Vibration Through Seat (2016)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBound

Reaction score
Finally, a truly lovely day here in Denver today. Got the wife out for her inaugural ride on my 2016 ES acquired late November with ODO = 0. About 800 miles on the clock now, initial service allegedly performed by dealer. Stock except for Givi SR-357 and top case.

Wife says the level of vibration coming through the seat is unpleasant at most speeds. Evidently there's a narrow band of "acceptable" somewhere between low speeds and freeway speeds.

She indicated there was no such problem on the 2010 I owned briefly in 2014 (which had Sargents front and back).

I searched for "pillion vibration" using both Google and the site's search tool, but all I found were pillion complaints of vibration in the footpegs, so I conclude this isn't a common complaint. Perhaps the vibration will decrease with some additional miles? I doubt that an aftermarket seat is the answer, but I am eager to address the issue for her if I can. Thanks for any wisdom.

I've never rode pillion before so I can't imagine what is causing all that vibration. I'm sure you have already checked your rear shock setting and tire pressure. I'm curious to see what the "experts" come up with.

Some foot peg adapters with the rubber topped platform.

Should spread out the load to the boots. Then a new seat?

Never heard my wife complain about vibration on the 06?

Search for a forum members nicely made product.

My wife saw some at an EOM and said you need to get me some of these.

Won some in the raffle on Saturday, sweet.

No complaints from my SO with a LAAM seat and Knifemaker (WynPro) floorboards. SO claims the floorboards were a significant improvement in comfort over the OE footpegs...something about spreading the (foot) load out better.

--G

I bought a Saddleman gel seat and both of us have no problems with vibration or any other discomfort with the seat. The stock seat was killing both of us after the first year but vibration was never a problem.

My wife thinks the Laam seat is more comfortable than the stock seat, but vinyl on the Laam seat makes her slide toward me just a bit. One of these days, I'm going to send it back to Seth and ask him to shape the foam just a smidge more.

Regardless, any comments regarding vibration were not unpleasant. To the contrary, rather.

smile.png

(Bad Pants)

Is this really a seat issue? I would look to throttle body balance. I seem to remember another post, maybe from FredW that this can no longer be done with simple vacuum gages at home. But it's still a good place to start when looking for unexplained vibration differences between two otherwise similar bikes, no?

If the engine doesn't seem to be the source, is there an issue with getting the pillion seat correctly seated?

I did find that the vibration got better as the engine broke in, but the 4-5k vibration buzz is more pronounced on my 2014 than it was on my 2005. That's because the throttle linkage was adjustable on the '05 during an unauthorized TBS you could dial out a good amount of the misbalance. That isn't possible on the 3rd Gens. It isn't horrendous, but it is noticeable.

Best bet may be some sort of a gel/foam pad for your missus to insulate her derrière from the seat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. Digesting it. I'm not sure how keen she'll be on waiting for the vibes to smooth out on their own. Maybe an aftermarket pillion seat would redistribute the weight just enough to alleviate the problem. She tried gel and foam toppers on my Ténéré and couldn't find a product she liked (solution there came from Seat Concepts), but maybe a sheepskin pad would help.

My wife thinks the Laam seat is more comfortable than the stock seat, but vinyl on the Laam seat makes her slide toward me just a bit. One of these days, I'm going to send it back to Seth and ask him to shape the foam just a smidge more.
So as not to **hijack** check your PMs 'pants.

--G

Explain this Gen III throttle balance issue?

Never seen where you can't adjust the bodies to the first one on the throttle cable.

They still have air bleed screws?

Air bypass screws are only effective at idle speed. They do not balance the throttles at anything much above idle as the air contributed through those bypass paths become increasingly less in proportion.

Another thang I just thought of; here in the golden shower state, they feed us this reformulated crap gas, 'n all my bikes have run rougher in the winter. Dunno if they do that in Colorado?

If it's peg related, you could try to find a set of knifemaker floorboards. They are nicely made and are easy to take on and off.

(Not my Pic)

FootPeg_zps6bda541a.jpg

Perhaps even better if it is peg related, you can get the 3rd Gen footpeg rubber covers for rider or passenger that are considerably thicker and cushier provide much more isolation for cheap money. The metal footpeg underneath is the same as prior gens, but the rubber piece is part number 4BP-27413-00-00, seem to go for about $15 per copy, and has these big deep ribs that reduce the vibration considerably. I was skeptical, but pleasantly surprised by how effective they are.

Funny, for all these years I always though that the ribs were there "for her pleasure"?
rolleyes.gif