Bun Burner Gold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman1028

Reaction score
I am attempting a Bun Burner Gold ride tomorrow morning.

Starting in Fort Mill,SC (32 degrees)

Turning around in Key Largo,FL (85 degrees)

Ending back in Fort Mill,SC (27 degrees and snowing)

This will be my 3rd IBA ride and my 1st on the FJR. My last ride was a BBG attempt in October, but I ended up stopping a couple hundred miles short to get some rest. I think I have a better all-around strategy this go around.

I will give a full update on Sunday.

Good luck with it. Extreme temperature variations can do some strange stuff to the body. Pretty good going from cold to very warm but going the other way can be stressful. Don't be afraid to bail if you get too tired.

You may also need a balaclava or thick, comfy scarf -- either will keep the cold air from finding its way under your helmet and into your collar.

Ride safe and ride hard. If your GPS calculates average speed you can gauge your progress on that. You need 62.5 mph average to make it.

This is the only sport I know of where we congratulate participants for making the decision to call it off if that's the safe thing to do. No pressure. The BBG is the hardest ride I've ever done.

Good luck to you. Ride safe...
smile.png

Regardless of experience and prep, there's a portion of luck for a successful BBG. Just 1 or two things that can't be planned can ruin an otherwise successful ride.

Congrats! Back-to-back BBGs may be the only harder (official IBA) ride.