new 2012 or used 2006?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tempest766

Reaction score
So, all other things being equal, if you had a choice between a 2012 JFR at a dealership with under 100 miles on it and a sticker price of around $9500, or a used 2006 (private owner) with 16,000 miles on it for around $5000, which would you more seriously consider...and why?

Or, is there any pressing reason to go straight to the gen-3 bikes?

Newer!!! In so many ways it's a much improved machine. You'll love the cruise control and the digital dash. Go for gen III.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I want to know is why the frack this inquiry was moved to the off-topic area. It's certainly NOT off topic, the posting guidlines were not violated in any way, and it's not unlike other threads that ARE in the FJR general discussion. When crap like that happens I immediately get this vision of some whiney little moderator sitting in a dark room spanking it, and pretending to be God, for lack of anything better to do. Yeah. I know...Great way to make friends and influence people, but it ticks me off to have my post silently moved.

What I want to know is why the frack this inquiry was moved to the off-topic area.... When crap like that happens I immediately get this vision of some whiney little moderator sitting in a dark room spanking it.
Your tell 'em newbie! Not only is he spanking it....he's shooting his load in YOUR eye! If only the owners of the forum had read all the stuff you did when you signed up and didn't realize your thread has never, ever been brought up many times before. We're so lucky you're not easily offended Mr. 2 posts.

Oh the humanity........
fool.gif

It's not off topic it just got moved to the section for questions that have been asked and answered many times. You will get many answers that are opinions of many people. Make the decision that works for you. Lots of good info here but you can't be to thin skinned when it doesn't go your way.:) :) :)

Why would you want a used bike for $9500 When you can find deals for a brand new 2015 for $9875.00 all day long.

Do your research or spend foolishly. The choice is yours to make.

Dave

It reads like your question is one of value - which bike is the better value? In that case, $9,500.00 is too much for that 2012, even new. There are plenty leftover 2015's out there for $10,000.00 and even a little bit less. $5,000.00 for the 2006 is the better value, especially if it has some accessories on it that you desire (after market windscreen, custom saddle, top box, frame sliders, etc). You could EASILY burn another $1,500.00 on these accessories.

IMO, the improvements to the third generation FJR (2013-2015) are substantial, and most here would agree with me. Whether those improvements would be valuable to you is hard to guess. If you have had FJRs before, you would definitely appreciate most of the improvements. Also, if you are planning to tour cross country with your bike, certainly the cruise control alone would be appealing to you.

I rode a Gen 1 FJR for 60,000 miles all over this country. I loved that bike. If money was an issue, and I had to change back to a Gen 1 (verses not riding at all), I'd do it in a heartbeat without even batting an eye. But my current Gen 3 is the best motorcycle I have even ridden. It's that good.

In the end, it all boils down to "How much fun do you want to spend?". Be that as it may, given two choices in your OP, IMO, clearly the '06 is the better buy.

P.S. - it doesn't matter where your thread is posted. The people here that really want to help you will find it, this much I guarantee.

I'm confused. Are the JFR's rare? It seems like a lot for a 2012 FJR, but if the 2012 JFR's come with a 6th gear or self adjusting valves, it may well be worth it.

Seriously, spelling/joking aside, totally agree with the previous posts. Seems like a lot for a 2012 when there are left over Gen III's for not much more (if you can find them). The 2006 is a fine motorcycle, and that seems like a lot of bike for the money. The $5,000 asking price seems very reasonable to me at those miles depending on the bikes condition.

That all said, the Gen III's are excellent. I upgraded from a mint 2008 FJR just to get the cruise (ah, who am I kidding....and the RED). But those are a lot of money. If you are on a limited budget I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger on the 2006. Same engine, mostly the same bike. Just a few improvements, most notably the cruise, on the Gen III's.

If you have the money for that 2012, then for a little bit more you could find yourself on a Gen III.

Its according to how much you want to spend. If money isnt an issue get newer. Like others have said you can get a used gen 3 for the price of the 2012.

EDIT: Here is the best deal yet. A 2013 Gen 3 for $6,900 on the forum. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/171412-2013-yamaha-fjr-1300a-for-sale/

I would buy either the 2006 GEN 2 (at $4750) or the 2014 GEN 3 ($9400) advertised on this forum. Both are probably better equipped. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/forum/149-for-sale-trade-and-free/

The 2011 GEN 2 on the forum for $7,000 looks like a good deal too.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/170418-pristine-2011-yamaha-fjr1300/

and here: https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/43182954

Most would say to get a GEN 3 model year bike. The upgrades are substantial.

If the '06 is well appointed and cared for, I'd go for that one over the '12. But I'd take a used '14 for $9500 (saw one recently for about that) over the new '12 6 days and a week and twice on Sunday.

Thanks for the input, guys. It seems like "overpriced" is the general theme...and I'm a cheap bastard so good to know. I am dead set on the 2012...if only for the color scheme...and as an embedded engineer myself, more/fancier electronics are NOT a selling point for me on anything. Hell, I don't like the idea of linked brakes, or mandatory ABS for that matter. KISS: Keep it simple, stupid!

I was really pleased to learn that the FJR doesn't have one of those crap IAC units on the throttle intakes. That component has been a thorn in my side on my Buell Uly.

So on the craigslist/cycletrader/etc ads it is entertaining that the seller price at the high end retail value as displayed by the higher of the two values between NADA and KBB. Maybe that's why their bikes are still for sale six months or a year later.

Anyway there are a couple 2012 with low miles under 6 hours from me here in western PA. When I'm not snowed in anymore I'll start making calls to see a couple of them and to learn if their owners are "motivated" to sell.

A bit of a followup. I have decided that 2012 is MY MODEL YEAR. I like the color and am suspicious of the fly-by-wire and other electronics additions of the gen-3 bikes...although if I saw a 2014 A with low miles and at a good price I might take a chance.

The problem I'm running into is that these later model year bikes are consistenly under lien when the owners go to sell them and they want showroom prices for them (probably as a result of owing too much on the liens). I don't want a bike off of the showroom. I want a low mileage bike at a good price. I've seen several where the owners are listing 2012 and 2014 bikes at more than what the dealers are getting rid of their new 2015 surplus inventory at. Dealership in Latrobe was selling their 2015 bikes at under 10K. Do the sellers honestly expect for get 10K or more for their five year old bike? Too many sellers who owe too much to the bank, or simply the result of supply and demand economics?

They are trying to recoup their money, having over-paid themselves.
I'm definitely seeing that. Most/all the late model used bikes I find listed for sale seem to be sellers who are looking to pass on the bite of their loan to someone else. I found a new 2016 at a dealership cheaper than what these used bikes are listed at (all fees included)...but I don't want the 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.