Big Sur bridge on Hwy 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in making some miles on the PCH during the YFO event.

How does this affect that? Can we ride around it?

I'm interested in making some miles on the PCH during the YFO event.
How does this affect that? Can we ride around it?
NO way around it, it'll be in and back out from either the north or the south.

The whole area was on fire for months last year and the inches and inches of rain have caused major destruction in the area. 5 1/2 of the 6 state campgrounds have been almost washed away and may not open this year. All the dirt roads above the PCH are heavily damaged, some are now non existent.

From YFO you could take Carmel valley road to PHC and ride south to the bridge.

From YFO you could "maybe" take Nacimiento-Fergusen road ( if it's still passable,it was a paved goat trail ) or 46 further south for another in and out route.

Or blow off the southern PCH this year and take the PCH from above SF to the Redwoods, you need that on your bucket list IT'S A MUST DO ROAD, Then your next to 36 , one of THE best roads in Cali IMO.

Bummer. I'm riding down to San Diego in May with Dan/Glas1/2ful. Won't be riding that stretch of 1, I guess.
sad.png
Well I guess its Highway 25 to Peach Tree Road to Indian Valley Road instead? Not as scenic as Highway 1, but no traffic and to me just as fun a stretch of pavement.

From YFO you could "maybe" take Nacimiento-Fergusen road ( if it's still passable,it was a semi-paved goat trail ) or 46 further south for another in and out route.
Modified for accuracy. And +1 on the north end of PCH/Cali Rte. 1.

Bummer. I'm riding down to San Diego in May with Dan/Glas1/2ful. Won't be riding that stretch of 1, I guess.
sad.png
Well I guess its Highway 25 to Peach Tree Road to Indian Valley Road instead? Not as scenic as Highway 1, but no traffic and to me just as fun a stretch of pavement.
Look for an incoming PM about that route, Russ. Don't know it and it sounds like a winner.

My guess is that seating at Nepenthe will be no problem this summer...more so for Big Sur River Inn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Big Sur River Inn will be packed.

Nepenthe, should only be the people driving/riding up from the South. Maybe it's time to go again. :)

Right now it is closed off with mudslides in the south and the bridge in the north.

Hopefully it will open up again from the south this late spring or summer.