Western NC trip info

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOgre

Reaction score
A friend has vacation picked for early April and mentioned the Dragon as someplace he'd like to check out. Ok.
bike.gif
I've been before but whenever in that area I was following along so this'll be the first time that I'll be doing the planning and leading. I've just started looking at must-dos and route options, getting most from the wealth of info found here in previous ride reports (thanks everyone!) and nothing is solidified yet. As I'm playing with the maps though questions are popping up so if I may throw them out to the more experienced:

• Lodging for two, maybe three nights (Wed, Thurs. maybe Fri.) as a base. Currently looking at places in Maggie Valley but for no particular reason. Anyone like any towns better to leave from each day? Any motel/hotel in particular? As usual dinner options within walking distance would be a plus.
  • For a stop at Wheels Through Time, how much time would you allot?

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend has vacation picked for early April and mentioned the Dragon as someplace he'd like to check out. Ok.
bike.gif
I've been before but whenever in that area I was following along so this'll be the first time that I'll be doing the planning and leading. I've just started looking at must-dos and route options, getting most from the wealth of info found here in previous ride reports (thanks everyone!) and nothing is solidified yet. As I'm playing with the maps though questions are popping up so if I may throw them out to the more experienced:

• Lodging for two, maybe three nights (Wed, Thurs. maybe Fri.) as a base. Currently looking at places in Maggie Valley but for no particular reason. Anyone like any towns better to leave from each day? Any motel/hotel in particular? As usual dinner options within walking distance would be a plus.
  • For a stop at Wheels Through Time, how much time would you allot?
Maggie Valley has plenty of options for good rides in all directions. Personal fav northward: Beaverdam>63>209>212>352>197>Double Island.

Eating around Maggie has seemed slim pickins' to me, but I don't go there during peak tourist season YMMV.

2 hours at Wheels is plenty for me. More hardcore American Iron fans may find it interesting for a little longer.

Our paths may cross as we head to Va in early April?

Our paths may cross as we head to Va in early April?
I saw your thread and wondered the same. I haven't gotten that far in the mapping yet but was considering passing through that area on Saturday with the idea of over-nighting somewhere to the north, leaving an easy ride to home on Sunday. Was also thinking I'd like to go by New River Gorge so that might also impact how many nights we stay in NC. As it firms up I'll let you know. Thanks for the suggestions and we'll start offering tributes to the weather gods from our end.

1911 's guidelines are good as indeed any direction out of Maggie Valley is good. Food choices are plentiful enough but not a lot good to choose from. Dale Walksler, proprietor of Wheels thru Time could advise of the good food in the area. If he is not there his son usually is and is just as personable as Dale..

1911's route north is a good one. Would make a good "last hurrah " as you head north.

Maggie Valley would be my absolute last choice for accommodations in that area. Well - maybe Cherokee would take the prize - it would be a close second. I'd much prefer more remote and quaint towns/villages. IMO, MV has turned into quite a tourist trap.

Closer to Deal's Gap are Robbinsville and Tellico Plains on the other side of the Cherohala Skyway.

Consider Brevard, Waynesville, or Cashiers to the south. There's a lodge in Hot Springs north of MV that is wonderful. Still further north, the village of Roan Mountain is fantastic, and there is also a nice lodge within the RMSP. The Grandfather Mountain region is stupendous, with nice accommodations in Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, and Linville. I could go on and on....

You could loop ride out of any one of these places for 3 days, but not to and from Deal's Gap. I suppose if you insist, take your friend throughout the Deal's Gap region so that he can say he slayed the Dragon. But honestly, I'd pick up and move each day. The riding around DG is far better and you won't be wasting time trying to get back to the hotel.

I've spent 6 separate weeks in the entire Appalachian region riding motorcycles over the past 7 years. If you need some road choices, just holler.

I've stayed in Maggie Valley a couple times, it's probably the best if you want the most options for walking distance attractions. Robbinsville is nice, but not as developed. My personal favorite is Fontana Village, but you're restricted to 2 restaurants, ice cream parlor, and a grocery store within walking distance.

I'd pick up and move each day
^^^What Pant's said^^^

Spend a day riding around Jefferson National Forest Va on the way down (or up). A few here have found Wytheville acceptable. On my money no object lodging list is https://www.mtnlakelodge.com/ (purely for the wife's benefit). Anybody ever stayed there? New River Gorge is on my to-do list too. Passed close by a few times but never quite got there. Some good stuff in HRZ's leaving DC post may apply to your trip down?

I'd pick up and move each day
^^^What Pant's said^^^

Some good stuff in HRZ's leaving DC post may apply to your trip down?
I forgot about his thread, thanks. Again, a lot of good info to be mined from the Forum. And yeah, the more I look at it I'm pretty sure we'll be staying at a different place each night.

Consider Brevard, Waynesville, or Cashiers to the south.
You could loop ride out of any one of these places for 3 days, but not to and from Deal's Gap. I suppose if you insist, take your friend throughout the Deal's Gap region so that he can say he slayed the Dragon. But honestly, I'd pick up and move each day. The riding around DG is far better and you won't be wasting time trying to get back to the hotel.
His curiosity about the Dragon is how this all started but I knew that was only going to be the excuse to get down there.
smile.png
Trying to figure out now when we could pass through it. Brevard is shaping up for night 2 (Wed.) and then maybe Tellico Plains for Thurs. night. I definitely don't want to plan in too many miles though and feel like I'm rushing through. Along those lines:

• Common wisdom says to avoid the weekends but is there much of a difference on the Dragon between a Thursday or Friday in early April?
  • I'd like to get to Wheels Through Time early in the afternoon but I'd also like to take 276 for the 46 miles down into Brevard. At what point would it not be worth the Bambi risk to do so?

Mike, I'm escaping the island soon for the asheville NC area... if you make the run after may, I may be able to help you out :)

Check out the Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, NC.
I give this a hearty second!

This is a great place to stay. They have camp sites - both tent and trailer. They have hotel rooms, bunk house even large multi room rentals.

Weather permitting they build a big fire behind the main building. Lots of like minded motorcyclist come together. It's nice. They also have a restaurant there. The prime rib on Saturday night was pretty damn good.

We have stayed a couple of times. Once in a room and once in a camp site. We have a converted cargo trailer. Both times was great.

Regarding "bambi risk", (KNOCKING Wood and anything else I can think of), I've never seen a deer in the Pisgah National Forest between the hours of 8:30 am and 5:00 pm. Take that for what it's worth.

Good on ya re: Brevard (Wed) and Tellico Plains (Thurs).

Regarding the Dragon, I've had my very best luck there going early in the morning, just after the fog has lifted - kind of shoot for hitting it about 9:00 am. The road is dry, visibility is as good as it will get, and (for the most part), the squids and other idiots are still sleeping in. However, the Popo still shows up early. They will give you about 7-8 (maybe 9) mph. On a loaded 600 pound motorcycle, that's enough rope to hang myself. I do think Thursday would be better than Friday.

There are so many good roads in that region for riding, it would literally be impossible for me to list them all. If you are going to make your sleeping reservations, maybe post up your itinerary. I can then look it over and suggest some of the lesser known but better riding roads I've taken.

Keep in mind that up there in April, things can still get quite chilly. I'd plan to bring a good choice of layers. That's a great plus for the FJR - you can bring all of your crap with ya!

Deer aren't your biggest worry. Worry about Florida (and New York!) license plates on these mountain highways.

Good roads?

NC 215 between Waynesville and Rosman

Wayah Road (NC 1310) between Aquone and US 64

Junalska Road between Boone and Silverstone

NC 28 between Franklin and US 74, and you can cut off on Tellico/Otter Creek Road to get to Wayah Road

NC 106 and GA246 are fun and usually empty

If you want to wander a little farther, GA 60, 180, and 348 offer some nice curves and can be worked into a loop

US 276 through the Pisgah National Forest is good, but often full of slow cars. If you want an easy ride to look off the edge of the mountain, this is a great choice.

Ride carefully!

Below is NC 215 in Rosman...

Road%20to%20Rosman_zpsoqywzc71.jpg

I would also chime in for the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge. This is a great facility in a great location. John and Charlene Powell are the owners, they are motorcyclists and all around wonderful people.

They offer any kind of accommodations you might want and great food too.

Uncle Hud has listed some great roads. I add support for the Iron Horse in Stecoah.

If you want a road with more open curves but still great riding and views, ride the Cherohala Skyway. It is limited access and has little traffic on most days.

The BR Parkway is also nice but just for slow cruising. Speed limit is 45 and strongly enforced by slow traffic and federal Park Rangers. Lots of tourists.

Please note: bring your warm gear. This the South, but it can be very cold up at higher altitudes and will sometimes freeze in early April!

Stay away from the Dragon Fri-Sun. It ain't the road, it's the crazies.

great beer in Brevard, Oskar Blues!! not sure of their hours, Thur & Fri evenings they have food wagon, always a nice way to end the day. N.GA Suches area is fantastic riding. 2 / 2.5 hrs at Wheels thru Time, great place, lots of history no matter what kind of bikes you're into.

Sorry guys for stepping away from this thread but been trying to break in a new computer this past week. Then in the middle of that a change of plan seems to have developed. Long story short but it now appears we'll be taking in a car show over at Charlotte Speedway in the middle of this trip instead of hitting all them good roads to the west. The first couple of days stay the same but we'll head east from Brevard Thursday morning, take in the show, then spend a couple of nights with family east of there in Pinehurst. If time permits though I'm still hoping to ride up through the GW & Jeff. Forest on the way home. But again, who knows? It wouldn't surprise me to see us back to Plan A by tomorrow.
biggrinsmiley.gif

Thank you all again for your time and suggestions. They'll definitely be bookmarked and hopefully put to good use in the not-too-distant future.