Intermittent Starting issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahmad Akhtaby

Reaction score
Hello All,

I bought a 06 fjr AE with 32k miles on it 3 month ago. it started with a sh__15 error which took a month to figure out it was the shift actuator. Now I have an issue where the bike doesnt start, the dashboard is on and everything is normal except that the bike doesnt start when I press the starter and the high headlight lids in the dashboard. I keep trying many and many times then its just starts fine.

Its an intermittent error and sometimes the bike just starts.

My mechanic (since we dont have a yahama motorcyles dealer in Egypt !!) checked the 3 ground wire connections of the bike and all are fine.

Any Advice would be appreciated and Thanks in advance.

If the high beam indicators are on when you turn the ignition switch and the engine won't turn over, then you have a grounding problem. Quite possibly both signal light indicators will also be lit and the windshield may not move. Most likely the multi-point "spider" normally called S4. (Six different wires meet at this common ground.) This is under the tank toward the front left of the engine compartment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ross, I tried moving the windshield and was moving and we checked grounding under the tank and it was fine and yes sometimes when the bike starts both signal light indicators are lit then they disappear.

I still think it is likely that there is a grounding problem. I don't know anything else that results in odd behavior with the dash lights. If not for the lights, I would be looking for issues with the ignition switch (there was a recall for this), starter relay, the starter itself or battery condition.

If you haven't already done so, have a look at the MANY threads on "Spiders" or ground wire connection. There are many threads on the subject including four long "pinned" threads here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/forum/60-technicalmechanical-problems/

Last edited by a moderator:
We checked All the spider neural connections (S1-->S8) as per the diagram and couldn't find any visible signs, Also i was trying the bike around and suddenly while turning the engine stalled and check engine sign and the yellow lamp lit with no errors on the screen. turning the ignition key off and on it all worked fine.

I've been reading the previous threads u all pointed but everyone could at least find the bite somewhere. How can i do further investigation

Thanks

Are you looking for an obviously burnt "spider block" or did you open them up and check the actual 6-legged connector? They don't necessarily look bad from the outside. There are other non-"spider" connectors that could be an issue as well. Check out https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158418-itsy-bitsy-spider/?hl=itsy for an example.

Your most recent observation makes me wonder if you have an ignition switch failure but that doesn't explain the dash panel lights (as far as I know).

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/113791-fjrf0031-ignition-switch/

There was a recall on this - at least in North America

we opened every one of them and checked for any signs of burnt/corrosion etc.., then reconnected again and greased

will definitely look for the non spider connectors

the bike is north america anyways and yes im worried about the ignition failure

So apparently the S4 was the problem but it had been altered before since the its connector had a different shape from all other spiders. Thanks Everyone