The "Gold" Standard Has Been Raised

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So this weekend my wife and I attended the IBA's Jax. Dinner. Various riders were being recognized for achievements

that they had accomplished. The first "Diamond" Mile Eater award was given out and various other awards. Then an award

was issued to a rider for doing a ride that most of us knew about, but figured would not be recognized publicly. 10 BBGs in

a row. Now a little history should be shared (And I ask for corrections where I am wrong) Years ago a rider (Forum Admin)

set out an accomplished a ride that seemed impossible. He rode 7 BBGs in a row, the ride became known as "Hell Week"

The IBA would/did not publicly certify the ride. The reason being most likely that they did not want to create a "One upping

competition) that would lead to unsafe attempts at a new ceiling of record.

Until recently the highest number was 3 BBGs and the ride was called the "Trifecta" Then about 2 years ago the IBA

allowed 4 BBGs on a ride and it was named the "Quattro". Well to make a long story short, we now have a new ceiling

and the ride is 10 BBGs and is called the:

"DEKA"

WOW !!! …

(I see now on the ride list it is listed as the "Deca")

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a modest feeling of satisfaction if I do a SS-1000 (uncertified); maybe even two in a row if trying to eat up some road to get somewhere. (Haven't done two consecutive but think I could under the right circumstances.) Personally, I'm not sure whether I could do a single BBG. 10 in a row?? - I don't think so.

Huge mileage simply for the sake of proving something (to myself or others) doesn't "float my boat" but I respect anyone who has the ability to do anything close to this. I can't imagine the level of fatigue anyone would have to endure. Because of very real safety concerns, I am surprised that the IBA would even certify this one.

My guess you would have to maintain the same boring route somewhere in the midwest WEST going back and forth to even contemplate this wild ass adventure.

No thanks, NOT ME (fixed it)

Dave

I can't imagine the level of fatigue anyone would have to endure. Because of very real safety concerns, I am surprised that the IBA would even certify this one.
Maybe fatigue management combined with planning and ride discipline and perhaps a little good fortune make this ride

possible for a very few riders.Thats what makes it so special ! Running a marathon does not "Float my boat" but I understand

the drive that makes some want to do it. Remember riding a motorcycle period, is looked down on by many and deemed unsafe

by the same crowd… Yet, I do agree that the IBA needs to keep a ceiling on the most extreme rides. Riders and bikes advance

the sport and so I also agree that the ceiling can be raised.

And Dave… West not midwest !
punk.gif

Soon with self driving vehicles, we can all do this in our sleep.
smile.png

Would we want to? ;)

Gonna need a car tire for that ride.....ff
Your post made me finally research and confirm my mileage on my current tires.

I still have the same tires on that I did my last 10/10ths with, so the mileage was easy to confirm by looking up my OD

readings from my start receipt and knowing I put the tires on at Mims,FL then rode back to West Palm Beach and rode

on the tires a week BEFORE starting the 10/10ths ride.

Current mileage on the PR2s that are still going: 18,554+

So… No you would not have to ride car tires. But with the increased speed… you would finish on a toasted tire for sure.

Tony...your facts are not correct. Warchild's ride was officially certified as a 10/10ths. So was Curt's. 10k miles...just in a bit less than 10 days... :) Check the IBA list. While technically the BBGs weren't recognized, both rides were certified.

Tony...your facts are not correct. Warchild's ride was officially certified as a 10/10ths. So was Curt's. 10k miles...just in a bit less than 10 days...
smile.png
Check the IBA list. While technically the BBGs weren't recognized, both rides were certified.
Doug, I am sorry, I meant the "Hell Week" was "Downgraded" to a 10/10ths instead of the 7 BBGs, which I feel is a MUCH bigger accomplishment.

Kind of like the 2k + BBG is listed as a 1800+ mile BBG. I think now the "Hell Week" will be officially added to the list.

Come ride a 2k in Alamo and I'll get you a cert with a actual number...
smile.png
Your event is definitely on my list … but the 2nd BBG trifecta and a BBG Quattro are really calling for me to attempt.

I can retire next year from the PO and that will make Alamo doable. Plus the fact I might just be living in Texas makes that much

closer.

Have you considered hosting a multi day, multi BBG event? … say along the I-90 stretch?

Gosh, I love those PR2's. They are getting harder to find nowadays. I put a set away this spring for when I eventually wear out the current set. Over 15K on those. Going into the third season of riding but they are nearing the end of life.

Dave

Given the number of riders that don't actually ride very much (the vast majority of bike owners), even a SS1K is an accomplishment that shouldn't be minimized. The feats mentioned in this thread make me drool with envy. I'm at that point in life where I have the gear and the technique, but not the free time. Amazing stuff. Ride safe fighter pilots.

I thought most of us rode for fun, but I guess I'm wrong.

10 one thousand miles days back to back can't be safe or much fun and I ride about 30K miles a year and have done a few 1K mile days, just not back to back, so I know what's involved in doing it.

I thought most of us rode for fun, but I guess I'm wrong.10 one thousand miles days back to back can't be safe or much fun and I ride about 30K miles a year and have done a few 1K mile days, just not back to back, so I know what's involved in doing it.
As bad as 10 x 1000 mile days might be - the BBG is 1500 miles. Try 15,000 miles in 10 days.