Why, Yamaha, WHY?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwollenRaccoon

Reaction score
Make no mistake, I love my FJR. It's been a great, trouble-free bike. Aside from a couple of Yamaha's design decisions, (A two-up sport tourer with NO helmet locks? A battery in a place where there could have been a second storage compartment? Not to mention having to remove bodywork to get access to it, instead of just mounting it under the seat....but I digress) I still love the bike for its broad capabilities. I don't need to explain further to the faithful here. BUT.......

No news that it's a big, heavy bike. While not being as old as dirt, time is marching on. While trying to maintain some semblance of health and physical strength, it's hard to fight off Father Time. In other words, the FJR will become more of a problem to wrestle around in the coming years. Fate is staring me right in the face, just like the ugly countenance on the new FZ-10.

I want SO BAD to like the new FZ-10. It has the chassis, motor, brakes, features, riding position, and quality that I want. But I just can't get past how ugly the thing is. The clay fairies at Yamaha must really have some extraordinary clout, or have some inside scoop on a company executive and his secretary, plus access to some other-wordly hallucinogens. To create that monstrosity, then get it sold all the way up the management chain, to the very high-level executive whom has to sign off on the capital it takes to tool, build, test, certify, and distribute an (almost) brand new motorcycle that looks like that is astounding to me. Are these the same people that signed off on the Pontiac Aztek? These guys could sell a container ship load of air conditioners in Point Barrow.

I don't have to be grossly enamored of a vehicle to buy it. The FJR is a handsome enough motorcycle to my eye, and I own a 98 Honda SuperHawk. To me, the SuperHawk is not pretty. It doesn't look bad, but it's not beautiful. It is a bike that had all the right ingredients that I wanted 19 years ago, and wasn't UGLY, so I bought it, and have enjoyed it ever since. There's NO WAY I could open my garage door and look at that FZ-10 puss staring at me and feel lust for a ride. The bike has looks that would make my neighbor's 9 year-old son stop and stare, but maybe even he's getting old enough to think it's ugly. Apparently, the clay fairies created this as a precursor to an upcoming action movie, to get some sort of media buzz going. "Opening soon, at a theater near you! FastAndX-MenFuriousPowerTransformerRangerGoneIn60SecondsSuperHeroMovie!" The thing is uglier than 50 miles of dirt road on a rainy night.

And alas, it didn't have to be.

Maybe, just maybe, Yamaha can do the right thing. Let's call it, oh, I don't know, how about "FJ-10"? Take the existing FZ-10 chassis and drivetrain. Strengthen the rear subframe a little, to allow FJR bags to be mounted, like they did on the FJ-09. No need to bulk it up too much, as we already have the FJR. Give it a shapely gas tank, maybe even a little retro if you want. Say, an Eleven Special or XS Eleven tank from 1979, but make it a little wider, and proportioned properly for the bike. Headlight could be round, or not, but be high enough to provide a perfect location for a small quarter fairing, or even a little larger, like my SuperHawk or a Bandit 1200S. Let the engine show a lot, but have enough weather protection to take some wind off your chest. Don't add on any extra doodads, slots, wings, bumps, or the like. Make it identifiable as a Yamaha, using styling cues from some of your best looking parts. But for Bob's sake, don't make it so fecking UGLY. Sorry for offending anybody, but the bike is styled to the tastes of a second grader, whom is not old enough to yet buy a motorcycle. The old codgers that still ride are willing to spend decent money on a bike with the FZ-10's capabilities, but I would bet the vast majority of them don't want something that looks like it came out of a cheap comic book. Here are some pictures to get your minds working, and generate some better ideas than my feeble mind can produce.

Eleven%20Special%20Tank.jpg
Seca%20550%20Fairing.jpg
GPZ%20Fairing.jpg
GS1000%20Fairing.jpg
SuperHawk%20Fairing.jpg
BMW%20Fairing.jpg
Panigale%20Fairing.jpg

But no. They give us THIS. WALL-E was cute in the Disney movie, but it shouldn't be the face of a motorcycle.

FZ10%20Front.jpg

And what the hell are those goofy triangular brackets sticking out in front of the side radiator mounts? They appear to stick out there for no apparent reason.

FZ10%20Doodads.jpg

I'm at a loss. If Yamaha made an FJ-10, and it wasn't so farking ugly, I would buy it. I would probably get rid of both of my current bikes, and just have an FJ-10. Cripes.

Sorry for the rant, but somebody had to do it. Thanks for letting me get rid of the frustration. OK, let fly with the hateful comments, since some of you probably have an FZ-10..............

I'm with you, but the Z1000 sold quite well, and the FZ1 was never very popular. The latest R1 looks a lot better than this.

Yeah, it's ugly. My eye first went to the color of the wheels, which I think is terrible. Street fighters have been ugly for years and getting progressively worse, so I guess that's what the market wants. We'll see if it sells.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I bet it's kinda like a Russel seat. You don't know how ugly it is when you're riding it. And when you're done riding it, get off, walk away, and don't turn around. Now all you've got left are the memories of a great ride.

But yeah, it's pretty ugly.

Yeah..its kinda ugly. Yeah...they could've done better. But when it's last call, and you're lonely needing some attention, you wouldn't necessarily kick it away. You never know...might be the best thing since sliced bread.

I don't think this bike is even in the same universe as an FJR. 160hp, chain drive, 4.5 gallon tank, 30mpg, you're looking for a gas station around 100 miles. It's not made for touring, it's made for this --

2017-yamaha-fz-10-gry_a7_0206_1.jpg

Saw one in person, and thought it was pretty sharp. Sat on it and leaned it over and man was it light.

Now I see your picture in comparison with the other bikes and yeah, it's a lot less attractive than I thought.

Still if money was no object......

I love the FZ-10,FZ-09 and FZ-07.

I certainly don't see the 10 as a replacement for an FJR. That thing is a guided missle. If I was going to replace the FJR for a smaller lighter version it would be the FJ09. Couple hundred pounds lighter. Plus cause it is narrower then an FJR it's easier to get more foot on the ground.

I have kicked around which one of the 10,9,7 I want for months.

I think the FZ-10 would leave me without a license.

The FZ-07 might be a bit small.

So I think I have settled on the FZ-09.

But now my wife has settled on this crazy idea that I need to sell a bike to buy another one. Well, the FJR is not going anywhere.

So I guess the Honda cruiser might go one day.

Of course I did talk her into sitting on the FZ-09 one day. She liked it. So I quickly agreed we should trade one of her bikes and get it!!!

That didn't fly.

Just a reminder that you could have just about as much fun on a much better looking Gen II FZ1 with just about every performance and handling modification for a fraction of the cost..

562325_592580257421952_1218282885_n.jpg

That bike looks fast-as-fuck. I don't think it's ugly. It's not curvy, but it doesn't have to be. However, I liked the B-King also, so maybe I'm just FUBAR.

Either way, that bike and I would get along just fine. You old fellas gotta keep up.

Deagle beat me to it and zilla cleaned the bases. I checked out an FZ10 today, and there's no way its fugly. Its a very impressive assemblage of quality parts and engineering that the FZ1 peeps had been crying for. I'd take one in a heartbeat.

Lighten up, the times they are a changing. I hope I die before i get old. Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

Just a reminder that you could have just about as much fun on a much better looking Gen II FZ1 with just about every performance and handling modification for a fraction of the cost..
562325_592580257421952_1218282885_n.jpg
Very nice bikes indeed, and worthy of high praise. BUT, add on more horsepower, traction control, a slipper clutch, cruise control, and a flatplane crank engine. There ya go. Still too bad that it's butt-ugly. AND, you came up with a great idea! There it is! Take the FZ-10 running gear, and do a few minor updates to the Gen II FZ-1 cosmetics.......TA-DA!

Last edited by a moderator: