Mexico?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRFreak

Reaction score
I live in the Houston area and was considering a trip to the interior of Mexico - maybe the Copper Canyon area, etc. Anyone have any recent experience to provide advice for/against going? I've heard that I need to get a Vehicle Import Permit ($44), a tourist visa, and Mexican motorcycle insurance. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Uncle Hud. I'm more convinced than ever that travelling wouldn't be such a big deal. I read somewhere else that if you read the US official travel advisories you'll want to hide under your bed for a week. The 2nd link mentioned Santiago de Queretaro which is exactly where I was wanting to go to visit a friend. Thanks again! Bill, if I decide to go I will make posts here of my trip which is tentative for end of April.

Hello on the phone!!

Don was THE go to guy. My Mexico trip , with Moosehead Mike,took me down The Baja. I wasn't required to "import" my bike. Main Land Mexico is a little different . The import data is to ensure you don't sell your bike in Mexico. Get your insurance before you go. I used www.mexpro.com as my insurer . Go to immigration as your first stop in Mexico. Get your visa. Unless you are fluent in Spanish , bring a map or GPS . Lesson learned, I had none of those.Get your Twinrex Vaccine. Take Ducoral . Bring Imodium. See your Dr. before you go.

We ate all the roadside cantinas we could find. Mexico was one of my most favorite trips ever. Enjoy .Have a safe trip.

Rob

Just went down to Queretaro at the beginning of February. Had a great time...left looking forward to going back.

I'm in The Woodlands too. Ping me off list and maybe we could meet up. Be happy to help any way I can.

Go early in the season cause it gets damn hot in "Baranco De Cobre". And ride a dual sport motorcycle, the roads are crap. Take lots of American cigarettes for "gifts" as you work your way through the check points. Have fun, but be damn careful of who you associate with and don't drink anything from open container, make sure they open your beer or water in front of you, or you may wake up naked and afraid. Have fun!

I just did a Baja trip with two buddies. It was a great time! I was on a Tenere, and glad of it. Roads are very hit and miss. One buddy on a Victory Vision came back with broken side cases because of the roads. Tons of tourists in Baja. Never had worries about safety/security.

To be sure you understand, Baja Mexico is a lot different than Baranco De Cobre, It's a tough region to ride into. Be prepared and then some.

Thanks all for your great replies. I've read already that Baja is basically just altogether different in terms of rules/regulations than interior Mexico. NMRoadRunner, are you saying that I'd need an adventure bike just to get to Creel or Hotel Divisader? Currently, all I've got is my FJR.

Slatonp4 - differently will contact you off the thread! Nice to have a local friend/rider!

Hopefully I can get my <trip> together for late April.