Water pump?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04rider

Reaction score
07 FJR 26k miles

Completed a 70 mile ride yesterday and noticed something smelled hot once parked. Took the seat off, some tupperware off, but no visible sign of anything burning. No recent oil change/spillage, nothing smoldering on the muffler. Followed the odor to the water pump, put a screwdriver to listen and sounds fine but don't have another FJR to compare.

No odd sounds from the bike, engine temp was normal on the ride and on the startup.

Smell was again noticeable after warming bike up in the garage. IDK why the water pump would smell hot and not create some ungodly racket from a bearing. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the road wet? You get some pretty funky smells of road spooge burning off the exhaust. Very unlikely to be the water pump but you might have a coolant leak somewhere - a few drops on a hot surface can cause an odor. Lots of hoses, joins and junctures to check but I would look at the one going to the coolant pipe on top of the engine and one going to the water pump. No wet spots under the bike after parking? Is this the first ride after a long winter layoff? Could just be dust burning off.

Is it more of an electrical smell or antifreeze? I have smelled electrical burning since I owned the 08. No flames yet so I keep ignoring it.

Dave

I did run through some water/rain yesterday; coolant level was good, no leaks found when I inspected yesterday. It's been three weeks since I last rode it, otherwise I've been on the bike about once every two weeks during this mild winter.

I would guess it smelled like electrical over coolant, but my sniffer isn't that great. Odor is definitely distinctive on the right side of the bike.