• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I'm looking for a low mileage 2012, or maybe a 2014 FJR1300A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempest766

Reaction score
Hey hang.

I currently ride a 2008 Buell XB12XT but poor parts availability and too few options for service have me looking for a better touring bike that still has the personality of a sport bike.

2012 is my model year. I'm a bit gun-shy of the gen-3 bikes but might consider a 2014 if the right deal comes along before I find my 2012. Bike must be low miles, well kept, and I'm looking for a deal I that cannot refuse. Would be better if seller has title in hand.

Prefer something that's not a cross-continental drive from western PA.

Message me here if you're looking for a good home for your well pampered baby.

Regards,

Rob

Just checked Craigslist in Lancaster there's a 2014 there. Here's the link: https://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/6040661173.html

hope this helps!
punk.gif

Not sure if they still have any but Hillview in Latrobe was selling leftover 2015 A models for under 10k recently.

Not sure if they still have any but Hillview in Latrobe was selling leftover 2015 A models for under 10k recently.
I'm picky about color, but yes, I'm using the 10K 2015A as a baseline price. I may sneak over to Hillview on Saturday to look at their 2016A but all the black-box electronics are not selling points for me. I'm more about user-maintainable engineering than comforts which may increase cost of ownership over the bikes lifetime.

Tempest,

I get where you're coming from with the electronic crap, but a lot of those things are really worth having, especially on an LD sport-touring bike. Cruise control is awesome. ABS is a must. Traction control, not so much. Automatic idle speed control is nice. And it goes on and on. I am especially enamored with the electrically adjustable suspension and upside down front forks of my ES model, but I know some folks would rather have the old school forks and install race tuned parts instead. The awesome red paint is also a plus.

I'd suggest that you focus on finding a '14 but make sure the prior owner was smart enough to get a YES warranty extension. At this point it would give you 3 more years of comfort against the electrons, and by then you should have a good feel on what to expect going forward. I bought mine new in '14 (my 2nd FJR) and had the same concerns so I bought the YES. So far I've used it exactly zero times, knock on wood. But I really love this bike like no other, and there have been a good number of other bikes over the years.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you read the cash portion of these Yamaha buyer incentives? The financing portions are quite ridiculous (at least to me since I don't think you should buy toys on credit), but the cash back portion interests me. Would you expect the cash back portion to be an independent incentive, or dependent upon applying for their credit?

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/street-motorcycle/pages/yamaha-street-motorcycle-current-offers-factory-finance

Other Question is whether dealers are allowed to advertise prices that are inclusive of manufacturer incentives, without stating such in the advertisement. Thoughts?

I'd still rather find a showroom 2012, but that's not realistic since the low mileage ones I'm learning about are mortgaged for far more than they are worth.

<sigh>

"toys" For some of us it's our primary mode of transportation. And because it was going to be my primary mode of transportation is why I picked the FJR. It had the hardcases so I could carry my chit to and from work. The huge upside I didn't anticipate though was the FJR has been so rock solid dependable.

Also your use of the term "toys" tells me you don't plan on putting a crap load of miles on it like some do.

"low miles" First off what is your definition of low miles? With the FJR I think you're going to need to raise your idea of what that is. Personally I feel 30-40K on a well maintained FJR is considered low. If you're not going to be riding your "toy" all that much (less than 25K/yr), an FJR with around 80K on the clock will last you quite a long time. Certainly long enough for you to learn all there is to learn about it.

Adjust your shopping points a bit and I think you'll find that '12 that will make you happier than a pig in mud in July.

Edit: Sheeesh, maybe on a good year I might get 25K. Maybe you will find your 2012 garage queen, and I hope you do, but the riding season is pretty nearly upon us and it would be a shame for you to miss a good chunk of it cuz you're so determined to find it..

In the FS section there is a 'queen' from 2011 for $7k.

Also in the FS section is a 2013 for $6900 ...

So Gen 2 or Gen 3 are both mint and cheap! (Maybe trade plastics to get your color) (don't laugh, I thought about it )

<sigh>

Owning a toy does not mean you will not ride big miles (whatever big means). It means you are buying the thing for your enjoyment above all else, which many of us do, whether we choose to openly admit it or not.

There are those that claim that they are daily commuters, and so their bikes are not "toys", but rather a much more serious "tool" to be reconned with. I say: Bull. They could have bought some car that would have done that same commute with similar or better fuel mileage, increased personal safety, and not required a bunch of protective gear to be donned and doffed at each end to do it with. Instead, they bought their bike because it was fun. It is a toy that happens to take them to work. Ain't nothin wrong with that.

Those folks that jump on a bike and ride for 1000s of miles a day are all doing it for their own enjoyment. Nobody is making them crank out IBA certs. They do it for fun. Their bikes are toys.

Some of us have no commutes. Many are retired and have no work anymore. So how do they justify the "seriousness" of their bikes? Why bother? Shouldn't they be allowed to have their toys without disgrace?

I don't really see how the purpose matters. There is no reason to look down your nose at someone else because they can't, or simply choose not to ride as many miles as someone else, or only ride for fun.

I mean really... Can't we all just enjoy our bikes for what they are without measuring and comparing how long our kickstands are?

You are correct on some of your points Fred. I guess I was in a bit of mood last night and I admit the tone of my post came out a bit snarky than I had intended. But I think you misinterpretted a bit my references pertaining to mileage. It's intent was merely to point out that what may qualify as high mileage on some bikes, is not so with the FJR, and of course some other models out there.

So if I have ruffled the OP's feathers, like I have your's, my apologies.

It's all good...

I'm conversing with a guy about his 2012A model with 2000miles on it at present but he wants as much as the 2015s are going for right now. Also trying to find a dealership that actually allows demo rides on the new bikes. Only found one in my area and he doesn't currently have any 2016 models in stock.

My maintenance costs experience with my 2008 Buell Uly-XT have left me a bit bitter about modern motorcycle cost of ownership. If I'm overstating the costs going forward then that's great but I cannot financially be sucked into something that potentially costs two to three times the base cost of the unit over its lifetime, thus a large part of my hesitation to embrace gen-3 bikes.

Kind of related...Does the FJR use a hardwired ECM connection or have they went the route that others in the auto industry went: using bluetooth or other wireless interfaces to access and program the ECM?

In the FS section there is a 'queen' from 2011 for $7k.
Also in the FS section is a 2013 for $6900 ...

So Gen 2 or Gen # are both mint and cheap! (Maybe trade plastics to get your color) (don't laugh, I thought about it )
Thanks for the lookup. If the 2011 was within a day drive then I'd check it out. The 2013 is just too many miles to be of interest to me.

You are correct on some of your points Fred. I guess I was in a bit of mood last night and I admit the tone of my post came out a bit snarky than I had intended. But I think you misinterpretted a bit my references pertaining to mileage. It's intent was merely to point out that what may qualify as high mileage on some bikes, is not so with the FJR, and of course some other models out there.
So if I have ruffled the OP's feathers, like I have your's, my apologies.
No problem, Mike. We all post things now and then that don't necessarily reflect how we feel.
Your point about mileage on FJRs is a good one. What is considered high on other bikes is normal for an ST bike. So their value is still high, even with the accumulated miles, when their prices are often lower

But there are also still a lot of extremely low mile used bikes out there since many people do buy them as toys and later find they don't really like that kind of fun as much as they thought they would, or they move on to a different one. So it isn't all that hard to find one that is a few years old with less miles than it takes to get to the first valve check.

To the OP - Friendly Yamaha in Baton Rouge recently had a 2012 FJR listed for $7,999.00. It was used but with like ridiculously low miles. Check them out.

Tempest, I saw a 2014 mentioned on ADV under the FJR thread p 286. 18k mi and $8700 or so. Sounds like a maybe in MO.

Tempest,

Yamaha ECM is hardwired with a plug in connector. Yamaha did something though I haven't seen done in other bikes. No OBD tool or plug in is needed to pull codes, it's built into the diagnostic screen of the instrument panel. Easiest vehicle I've ever seen for this sort of thing. Couple of key presses and use of the kill switch lets you toggle through menus and check or clear codes. Easy-peasey.

I also own a Buell and understand your pains even though mine is an early tuber model. I hope this doesn't come across too harshly but straight up you've got to stop comparing your Uly with Yamaha's FJR. They are practically from 2 different planets.Beyond riding on 2 wheels they're farther apart than apples and oranges. The liquid cooled inline 4 cylinder with overhead cams and shaft drive are a proven design and there are forum members with over 300k miles on some of these bikes. While it does require valve checks and occasionally adjustment these are pretty straightforward and lots of tech days pop up with folks willing to help. Oil and filter changes are simple and transmission uses the same oil already in the engine unlike the separation into 2 drains and fills found on your Buell. I've kept my Buell s-2 Thunderbolt mainly because I bought it new in 1995 and book value on it now is abysmal so why sell it. I can tell you that in the 4 1/2 years since buying the FJR, the FJR has added over 62k miles to its odometer. The Buell has added......less than 500.

If you haven't already done so, go test ride the FJR. It only took me one demo ride at Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown, PA back in 2009 or 2010 to know I'd own one someday. Best of luck!

pre 16's No OBD tool or plug in is needed to pull codes
smile.png

16s need an adapter cable, many have bought the cable and installed a obd2 scanner module, so they can pull codes from their phone or scanner if need to.