SoCal to the Ozarks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morecowbell

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a story about a trip that I finished just over four months ago. It started on Oct 30 and ended on Nov 11. Normally I would try to get something posted much sooner, but I've been so busy with work and other projects recently that I just haven't been able to get on the forum for quite some time. And I'm really lazy. I have a whole new level of respect for FJRfarrier who posted her last trip report on a day-by-day basis while still out on the trip. I could never pull that off! Better late than never, I suppose, so here it goes:

In November of '15 I had to bid for whatever vacation time I needed for 2016. My riding buddy, Pete, and I usually do a two-week ride in late Sept/early Oct. Our recent rides have covered the west coast, the Rocky Mountains, and most everything in between. One area that was conspicuously absent for the past few years was Texas and the Ozarks. With the exception of a quick pass through NW Arkansas in Nov '14 (fly-n-ride trip for my new 2012 purchased in Florida), I hadn't ridden the Big Bend area, TX Hill Country, or the Ozarks since 2008. Pete has never ridden any of those areas, so I told him that we were heading east. Due to the warmer temps down south, we needed our vacation time to be a bit later in the year for the weather to cool down a bit...so we bid for time off in early November. Pete was concerned about possible crappy weather, but I mentioned a previous Ozarks trip in November ('06)...the temps were perfect and the trees were almost at peak color. There shouldn't be much to worry about. Or so I thought.

Day #1, 10/30

Palm Springs to Safford AZ

444 miles

The big day had finally arrived. The bike was ready to go with only 120 miles on fresh oil and tires. Normally, I don't take the Givi V46 on a trip unless the wife is riding with me; but this trip was going to be in excess of 5000 miles, so I brought some basic tools and oil filters along with the plan of doing an oil change somewhere along the way. It was good to have the extra storage space. Pete had a work conflict that kept us from leaving at dawn, so we hit the road at 1pm.

Heading east out of Palm Springs is pretty boring. I try to avoid the slab as much as the next guy, but we wanted to get as far east as we could as fast as possible. That meant droning along on I10. Not my idea of a good time. The temps were in the mid-90s, but as long as we kept moving it wasn't too bad. We crossed into AZ and made our first fuel stop at Buckeye, about 250 miles down the road. We pressed east through Phoenix in the evening, luckily missing the worst of the rush hour traffic. The sun set as we passed Mesa, and it was completely dark by the time we reached Superior. We pressed on for two more hours in the dark, calling it quits in Safford. I sure like those Hella FF50 driving lights at night, but I'm seriously considering investing in a set of Clearwaters. We checked into a hotel around 8pm and headed for the restaurant across the street. We got there at 8:30 with a closing time of 9pm. The waitress was a really good sport about it. I had a few beers and the prime rib special...a huge amount of chow for about $10. Is that what Las Vegas was like in the old days?

Day #2, 10/31

Safford to Marfa TX

547 miles

We woke up about an hour before sunrise, planning on being on the road around 15 minutes after sunrise. After coffee and a snack at the hotel breakfast area, we were on our way. That would generally be the morning ritual for the rest of the trip. One big difference from our big tour last spring, where we had no clue where we were headed on pretty much every day of the ride, was that I had a route already programmed into the Garmins. That sure saved a lot of time every morning.

We headed east out of Safford on 191, which then angles northeast towards the village of Three Way. There we joined 78 headed east to the New Mexico border. After so many miles of straight/boring roads, we were thrilled to finally see some curves as the road climbed up into a small mountain range right on the border. It was still early and the sun was in our eyes as we plowed into some turns still in the shadows. That made it rather tough to ride at our normally spirited pace. As we neared the top, we stopped for a quick photo...thats a nice stretch of pavement down below:

We turned south on 180 and headed to Silver City. We took a quick break there before heading north on 15 up into the Gila National Forest. That was a fun little two-lane stretch...for some reason I didn't stop to take any pics. Then southeast on 35 through Mimbres, and then east on 152. Hwy 152 is a nice stretch of road, with some fun curves and great views as it crosses Emory Pass. Unfortunately, the highway department had "repaired" some pavement in what could be really fun corners. The new pavement was utter crap, with lots of gravel all over the road. That made for some slow going for a few miles. Finally heading down from the pass, the pavement improved and we could have fun with the corners again. At Hillsboro we headed south on 27; not a spectacular road, but it roughly parallels I25, and any backroad is preferable to the slab. We then joined 26 for a rather boring stretch into Hatch. With 256 miles on that tank of fuel, it was time to top off as we passed through town. We headed south on 185 which again runs parallel to I25. Still shunpiking, as Neil Peart would say. To avoid slogging through the city of Las Cruces, we finally joined up with I25 at Dona Ana. From there it was 37 boring miles southbound until we could join Loop 375 which would take us all the way around El Paso. As if 37 miles of slab isn't bad enough, I'm sure many of you are familiar with the feed lots along the west side of I25 between Las Cruces and El Paso. There are a few cows out there. I mean, a few thousand. And the wind was blowing from the west. We spent way too many miles enjoying the stench wafting across the road. That's a seriously nasty, pungent odor. I enjoy eating a tasty cow as much as the next guy, but I can't imagine living near or working on a cattle feed lot. I'm just glad there are people out there willing to do it.

After looping around El Paso in the afternoon traffic (just happy that we didn't take I10 through the middle of town), we joined I10 for the 106 mile drone down to Van Horn. I saw numerous signs for the hotel at Fort Hancock TX. As we passed by the Fort Hancock exit, I could only think of the movie Shawshank Redemption (one of my favorites). After Andy Dufresne escaped Shawshank, he crossed the border at F.H. on his way to Zihuatanejo, mailing Red a postcard as he passed through.

Reaching Van Horn, it was time to refuel after 215 miles on the tank. There's a whole lot of nothing south of Van Horn on 90, so it's always better to refuel early. While at the gas stop, I figured I should secure some lodging for the night. I figured we could make it to Fort Davis just as it was getting dark, so I called the three motels I could find on Google Maps. Two of them didn't answer, and the guy at the third place was clueless. He had no idea if any rooms were available, and there was no check-in past 7:30pm. Scratch the layover in Fort Davis then. I called three hotels in Marfa. One didn't answer, one was $240/night (in Marfa Texas??), and the last one had a suite for $179. Pete grumbled about spending that much on a room, so I said the other choice was to call it quits there in Van Horn. Lots of hotels, but it was Van Horn. On Interstate 10. Not cool. When Pete considered that option, he was suddenly okay with $179/night in Marfa. So we then continued south on 90.

About 15 miles south of Van Horn, I noticed an Amtrak train (probably the Sunset Limited) running in the same direction on the tracks that were some distance from the highway. After a few more miles, the tracks were right beside the road. The train was running at a steady 78 mph, according to the GPS. It was pretty cool to pace the train, and we ran alongside for 15 miles. With the low evening sun, we could see people in the dining car; a few people were watching and waving at us. I waved back as best I could with a 78mph wind blast. Approaching the small town of Valentine, I told Pete that we needed to stop for some window shopping. He had no idea what I was talking about, but I told him to trust me, and stop at that small building up ahead. So we watched the train pull ahead into the distance as we stopped at...

The Prada store:

Shoes and handbags, anyone? Pete was baffled. It's art, apparently. I rode past it at night back in 2008, and it was dimly lit...no photos possible. I guess I don't understand art, but it sure is weird to see this structure alongside a road in west Texas. At least I was able to get a pic this time. It sure was a pretty sunset.

We saddled up and rode the remaining 35 miles into Marfa in the dark. We found the Hotel Paisano easily enough. The sign tends to stand out on a dark night in a small town.

What a cool old hotel. It's beautifully maintained and the room was really nice. It was a small suite with a kitchen, and I would sleep on the pull-out sofa bed. There were two little balconies in the room overlooking the center courtyard and fountain. Very bro-mantic...although I think it would have been better to enjoy that kind of thing with my wife rather than my riding buddy. The hotel is somewhat known because the cast (Liz Taylor, Rock Hudson, James Dean) and crew of the movie Giant stayed there during production back in 1956. There are a lot of neat photos on the walls showing the cast and crew while at work on the movie. The restaurant is named The Jett Grill, after James Dean's character. Jett's had some good beer choices on tap, and the food was outstanding. I had a fantastic pork chop (a huge improvement over last spring's trip where I couldn't find a single pork chop on a 12-day ride), and Pete went on and on about how that was the best burger he'd ever had in his life...and that dude is a picky eater. It was Halloween, and a few people (including our server) had costumes on. You know, I think I could stay at this place again on the return trip a few days later. After a few beers, I got a route through Big Bend programmed for the next day. And then it was snooze time.

Day #3, 11/1

Marfa to Del Rio TX

596 miles

We were awake at the usual time. Jett's Grill had free coffee and $4 breakfast burritos. I prefer free, but $4 is still pretty cheap. We chowed down and hit the road. The sun was shining and the temp was in the mid-40s. We headed north on 17 to Fort Davis, where I snapped a quick shot at the entrance. I would like to check out the actual fort someday when I have time.

We headed west on 118 into the mountains. Nice pavement, some fun curves, beautiful scenery. I had my eyes constantly moving to the shoulders watching for forest rats. We saw a few, but none close enough to the road to cause concern. Let's keep it that way, eh, ya little bastards? We took the quick detour up to the observatory to enjoy the view in the morning light.

I knew that the mountains near Ft Davis were pretty tall by Texas standards, but I completely forgot that they went almost to 7000 feet.

We then continued west on 118, but after a while the road narrowed and became pretty lumpy. We slowed the pace but still enjoyed the views. We then turned south on 166 to loop back to Ft Davis. Nice rock.

We rejoined 17 just south of Ft Davis and then headed south. Passing through Marfa again, it had been a 112 mile loop thus far. We stopped at the Paisano again to make use of their facilities, and I was able to acquire a Marfa sticker for my Givi lid. I'm not a big fan of stickers all over the outside of the bike, but the inside of the luggage lids are fair game. We continued south on 67 to Presidio, located right on the Rio Grande River and the border with Mexico. The road heading south wasn't terribly exciting, but the views off in the distance were still entertaining. We came up behind three Harleys puttering down the road. I wouldn't call it a formation, because they were kinda spread out, and had zero lane discipline. They each tended to wander all over the lane. That's just weird to me; if I'm in the lead while on an open/straight stretch of road, I hold a steady lane position and speed to make it easier for Pete to follow. If I'm following, I stay in a steady position so Pete always knows where to look for me in his mirrors. But the Harley guys probably think our riding style is weird too. And this is Texas, so of course they had no helmets on. I'll never understand that. We passed them easily and they soon vanished from our mirrors. We refueled in Presidio, having covered 255 miles since topping off in Van Horn the night before. Presidio was a rather depressing little town. I can't imagine having to live there, and we were glad to head eastbound on 170, the River Road. It's a nice stretch of road once you get away from town. Smooth pavement, lots of curves and ups and downs as the road traverses the many washes making their way to the river. Most of the curves are well cambered, but there was the occasional surprise off-camber turn. Here's a view looking west, where you can see the road turning and dipping. And just across the river there is...Mexico.

Here's a view looking east from the same spot. It gets pretty rugged down there by the river.

A few miles further east, there's another turnout with a great view. The pavement is so steep, however, that the only way to park the bike while snapping a pic is to shut off the engine and leave the transmission in gear. Otherwise it'll roll forward right off the sidestand.

It's really beautiful riding along the Rio Grande River, but the thought that kept coming back to me was Donald Trump. "We're gonna build a wall. A big, beautiful wall..." And I could only laugh because politicians that make statements like that have obviously never been to this area of the border and they have no idea how rugged it really is.

Are we having fun yet?

I had to stop and get a shot of the Terlingua sign. Back in the '70s, my dad owned a small amount of property near here, apparently for the deer hunting rights. I guess the hunting didn't work out so well, and he sold the property a few years later.

I'm not sure why people still go to the Terlingua area...it's very remote and doesn't seem to have a lot to offer. But there were a couple of areas jam-packed with RVs. I guess it's like a mini-Burning Man for people that are into that whole camping thing. That's just not my thing. I prefer real beds and a shower every day.

Next on the agenda. Crappy weather, eh?

We headed into the park on 118, and then headed south on the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive. It's about 30 miles to the bottom where the pavement ends right on the river. The temp had climbed to the mid-90s by that point, so we tried to keep moving to avoid sweating too much. We stopped briefly at the Santa Elena Canyon overlook. That gap in the distance is where the Rio Grande (and the border) makes a sharp turn and cuts into the canyon. It's so steep and rugged, I'd say the border there is self-securing. No need for a wall.

Nice view from an overlook on the ride back to 118.

At that overlook, I finally figured out how to attach the camera to a lanyard so I can get some shots while moving.

After a few miles further east on 118, we took Basin Drive south to the lodge in the Chisos Mountains. Only six miles down and then reverse the route back out. It's really strange to see this type of topography and realize that we were actually in...Texas?

After that brief excursion, the rest of the day was uneventful. We exited the park on 385 to the north, heading for Marathon. We topped the tanks in Marathon, with 240 miles covered since Presidio. After that, it was a rather boring 175 mile stretch to Del Rio. There was some decent scenery for some of the miles, but the road itself wasn't terribly inspiring. At least the sun wasn't in our eyes. The sun set near Sanderson, so the last two hours were in the dark. We rolled into Del Rio, topped the tanks and found a hotel. After stowing our gear it was a five minute walk to Applebees. We generally prefer to avoid chain restaurants, but when in Del Rio...what can you do? I put down a few tall Shiner Bocks and chowed down. I already had a route in mind for the following day, but fell asleep before I could get the Garmin programmed.

Day #4, 11/2

Del Rio to Marble Falls TX

447 miles

We hit the Starbucks just a few minutes after sunrise. Oddly, this was our only Starbucks visit for the entire trip. The temp was in the upper 70s, but with a low overcast and some mist. While having my oatmeal and hot chocolate, I quickly put the day's route into my Garmin and then transferred the route over to Pete's. The plan for today was to hit some gold and red-rated roads on the Hill Country Butler map.

We headed east on 90 to Brackettville and then north on 674 towards Rock Springs. Since it looked like it could rain at any moment, I kept the camera stowed. Hwy 674 was a decent road, getting more entertaining as we headed north. The pavement was smooth enough, but it's that chip-seal variety that just feels rough on the tires. I kept an eye out for the dreaded forest rats, but, shockingly, I never saw a single one. We topped the tanks again in Rock Springs, only 97 miles after leaving Del Rio. I had no real idea of where fuel is located out in Hill Country, and I wanted a full tank before we started zig-zagging around the area. It started raining while fueling, of course, so it was time to dig out the rain gear. Just great...curvy roads in our immediate future, and they're going to be wet.

We headed east on 377 and 41, then south on 335. That was the entry point for us to hit the Three Twisted Sisters that Texas riders love so much. Luckily, the rain let up to a light mist as we headed south on 335. The road was more damp than wet, so we were able to move at an almost normal pace. At Camp Wood we headed east on 337 to Leakey, then north on 336, east on 41, and then back south on 83 to Leakey again. By that time the rain/mist had finally stopped. Being almost noon, it was time for a snack. We stopped at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop just west of Leakey. I had stopped there on my BMW on previous tours, and I wanted to grab a sticker for my GIVI lid. The sun was starting to peek out from time to time, and there were actually a couple of Harleys parked out front. Those were the first bikes we had seen all day. Of course our FJRs were the only non-Harley bikes to be seen.

While stopped, I had a novel idea...why not grab lunch? For the first three days of the trip, we would grab chow for breakfast, snack during fuel stops, and then do a big dinner at the end of the day's ride. No lunch. So this day would be different. I had a pretty damn good sando; I even splurged with a Dr Pepper. Hey man, don't judge me...I'm on vacation! We actually took about an hour break, which is very rare for us while on a trip. While having lunch, a couple more Harleys pulled in. I couldn't help but laugh at the way these pirates dress. No safety gear whatsoever, sleeveless shirts with a silly vest adorned with patches. What is the point of the vest? It offers no protection whatsoever. But I guess it's supposed to look cool. Oh, and we can't forget the wallets attached to their owners by a chain. I know, I know...it's a whole lifestyle, different strokes for different folks and all that. But I just don't get it.

Now that the rain had let up and the pavement was dry, I was able to get the camera out again. Here are a few shots eastbound on 337 towards Vanderpool and Medina. It's a fun road.

At Medina we turned north on 16 towards Kerrville, and had to slog our way through the mid-day traffic in Kerrville to reach 1341, oddly a Butler gold-rated road. It was a nice road, curvy and scenic...but I'm not sure why Butler gave it such a high rating. My fuel gauge started blinking as we approached the small town of Comfort. Since the town is located adjacent to I10, I figured we could find fuel as we passed through town. Wrong. Our route through town passed no gas stations. Apparently it would take a detour up to the interstate to find gas. We didn't realize that until we passed through town, of course. I didn't want to backtrack, so we pressed on. The FJR can do 60 miles on reserve, so I wasn't too concerned about it. We took 473 east to Sisterdale, which was a small village with no fuel. Then north on 1376, with a plan to head east on 1888 to Blanco. But first, we had to make a quick detour up to Luckenbach. I had stopped there once back in 2006, but I wanted to stop again for another sticker. I grew up in Texas and knew the Willie Nelson song. I figured Pete and most other people had heard of Luckenbach Texas. Apparently not. Pete had no idea what I was talking about. He dutifully followed the leader and we stopped for about 30 minutes. I got my sticker, of course. Pete struck up a conversation about rifles and gun legislation with the guy behind the bar. Pete later said, "these are my kind of people."

It was getting late in the afternoon, and we needed to press on. But first, I needed to figure out where we would stop for the night. I was thinking about heading through Marble Falls and then finding some small town to the northeast to spend the night. I called my brother, John, near Conroe, who had been watching our progress with the SPOT tracker. He recommended stopping in Marble Falls. My projected route after that would not put us in a good spot to find a hotel before dark. He checked and found a room for us at the Hampton Inn, and there was a brewery restaurant one block away. Plus, there was an airport nearby and he could fly over in his homebuilt RV-8 and meet us for dinner. And another plus, a buddy of ours from many years ago lives in Marble Falls and could pick John up at the airport and bring him into town. Sweet! I love it when a plan comes together.

We left Luckenbach and headed east on 1888 towards Blanco. I was really starting to sweat the fuel. I was searching for a gas station on the Garmin as we approached town. It sure was a relief to see that Shell station ahead on the right. After 274.6 miles on that tank, I pumped 6.4 gallons into the FJRs 6.6 gallon tank. That was close! After that it was an easy ride north on 281 to Marble Falls. Initially I thought John was going to fly into the airport at Horseshoe Bay, so we worked our way over to the small terminal at that airport. Upon our arrival, I saw a text stating that he was flying into the airport up the road at Burnet. Crap! I punched that into the Garmin and our ETA was only about five minutes behind his. Nineteen miles later, we pulled into the airport at Burnet as John was walking from the flight line towards the parking lot. And there was our old buddy Glen. We've known Glen since 1985, but I hadn't seen the dude since 1993. Geez, time flies. We met Dave through an aviation connection. My brother and I stayed in aviation, and Glen went into law enforcement. He's now the #2 guy in charge of the Marble Falls Police Department. That's pretty cool considering the goofy shit we've all done over the years. We rode back south to the hotel, ditched our gear and headed to the brewery for dinner. Glen was on-call with his department, and John still had to fly home, so they couldn't have a beer. Poor bastards! Just to make up for their lack of drinking, I had an extra beer with my dinner. It was really fun seeing my brother and a buddy that I had not seen in 23 years.

Day #5, 11/3

Marble Falls to Mena AR

517 miles

It was time to start heading for Arkansas. I had the road atlas out during breakfast at the hotel, and I traced a route from one backroad to another working our way to northeastern Texas and southeastern Oklahoma. It was cool and overcast again, and there was a lot of rain showing on the Weather Channel. Wonderful. We topped the tanks on our way out of town. We took a chance and kept the rain gear stowed, but we soon saw that it was a bad choice. Not even 10 miles out of town, the rain started coming down. We found a wide shoulder and donned the rain gear. And we continued on to the east and north and east, etc. I still have the route mapped out, but there are just too many little roads to be mentioned here. And it kept raining. Sometimes just a light shower, and other times it was a real frog-strangler. It rained for 200 miles. Needless to say, we never saw any Harleys out on the road. Passing through the small town of Marlin, we actually saw a Honda ST1300 heading the other direction. That guy was as crazy as we were for riding in that shit. The rain gear kept me dry enough, but my non-Goretex gloves were soaked.

We topped the tanks in Malakoff and grabbed a burger at McDonalds. Eventually the rain started to let up a bit, and by the time we passed through Mineola we could actually stop and ditch the rain gear. What a treat that was. My hands were stained black from the dye in my wet gloves. Lovely. As we continued north towards the border my gloves started to dry out. Another quick fuel stop in Broken Bow OK and we were in the final stretch for the day. There are a few miles of 259 that are really fun just before you reach the Talimena Scenic Byway. I really enjoyed hustling the FJR through those curves after slogging through so much rain earlier in the day. The ridgeline off in the distance is where we're headed.

We reached the Talimena just before sunset and headed east. I have hit this road in the fall before, and it was spectacular. When the sun was shining, of course. This evening, the low clouds blocked any sunlight from hitting what colors might have been in the trees. A few times the roadway climbed up into the fog and it was tough to see much of anything.

The pavement is starting to deteriorate as well...it was pretty rough in a few places. We finally reached the eastern end of the TSB and descended into Mena just as it was getting pitch dark. We topped off and headed to a hotel on the east side of town. After stowing the gear, we walked to a really neat restaurant two doors down from the hotel. Stache's Cookery was an old house converted to a restaurant. The dinner was fantastic, and the waitress was delightful. She had that Arkansas twang in her voice which was highly entertaining. We tipped her well. No beer on tap, but they had some good local stuff in bottles. And they even had live entertainment...three guys playing guitars in a corner. That was a good way to end a day of not-so-awesome riding.

So that's five days covered, with eight more to go. I'll try to not take four months for the next installment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff!

I was at the McDonald Observatory and through Fort Davis last month for my first time in Texas. Mountains in Texas...who knew? Only made it to Alpine before having to head back home. Some real nice riding around there.

Great ride report! We went to the Ozarks last summer and had an interesting conversation with some Harley guys who were riding Route 66 and the guy I spoke to the most said he also had a BMW but smirkingly said he couldn't wear his jewelry riding the Beemer?!

Well you're doing just fine, sir. I have not ridden very much of West Texas. Those "big rocks" you show in your pictures are certainly luring.

I especially like the overlook pictures you show with the ribbons of wonderful asphalt below. It makes me think about how cool it would be to ride that.

More, please.....

Very nice ride report!!Thanks for sharing!
smile.png

I have outlaws family members who live in Llano Texas, near Marble Falls. Some nice motorcycle roads in the area. One day I hope to visit the outlaws by motorcycle travel and see Big Bend.

Great ride report. Thanks for sharing.

Nice RR and pics Mcb, thanks for taking us along on the adventure!

Looking forward to the next installment.
smile.png

--G

Day #6, 11/4

Mena to Harrison AR

409 miles

Woke up at the usual time, hit the rather sparse breakfast at the hotel...a microwaved sandwich and orange juice. Nothing fancy here, but it still does the job. We chatted for a bit with a Harley owner who was still waiting for his wife to wake up so they could hit the road. He was riding a big Harley touring model, whatever that may be, and she had a Spyder. We'd passed them the night before inbound to Mena, and they ended up parked next to us at the hotel. The plan for the day was to wander around and hit as many gold/red rated Butler Maps roads as we could...with no exact plan for where we would spend the night. We headed north on 59, 270 and 71, then east on 28. It was cool with a low overcast when we left Mena, so we had our clear visors on. We weren't more than 15 miles out of Mena when the clouds just ended, and the skies were beautifully clear. That meant a stop for a visor change once eastbound on 28.

We then headed south on 27 to Onyx, then east on 314, and north on 7. The weather was just perfect, and the pavement was clean and smooth...but there wasnt as much color in the foliage as I was expecting:

Ok, finally a little bit of fall color:

At Ola, we turned west on 10, and then 309 to climb Mt Magazine:

A pretty nice view from an overlook:

We didn't want to spend too much time here and risk getting stuck behind the group of pirates in the background:

Reaching the top of the hill, we spent a few minutes at The Lodge at Mount Magazine. I had no idea that there was a fancy resort up there, but I had read about it on other forum ride reports. It sure is a beautiful facility. Kinda like the bro-mantic hotel in Marfa, I think it would be better enjoyed with the wife someday in the future.

We descended the north side of the big hill on 309, and ran that road all the way into Ozark. After a quick fuel stop in Ozark, we took 352 out to 164, and then north on 103. Somewhere around there I missed a turn on the Garmin and we went about 5 miles in the wrong direction. We eventually found our way back to 103. I hate it when I do that. I had never visited Oark on previous trips, because I never knew that it existed. Now having read several ride reports, I knew that there was pie to be had at the Oark General Store. I thought we should at least stop by and check it out.

Being a Friday, there were some other bikes (including one FJR, a silver '06 AE), but it wasn't too crowded.

The problem was timing. It was too late for lunch, but way too early for dinner. Don't want to spoil dinner later by eating pie. What to do? I figured I'd get the smallest thing on the menu...a grilled ham & cheese sandwich. It was larger than I expected, and it sure was tasty! It's a bit odd sitting at a table and looking at shelves stacked with automotive and various household products. But it's a small town store, so it made sense.

I was hoping to get an Oark General Store sticker for my V46 lid, but sadly they were all gone that day. I'll have to make another trip there someday. Then it was time to saddle up and head west on 215 towards 23. What a fun and beautiful road!

We then headed north on 23, the ever popular Pig Trail. It's a nice curvy road:

Of course as the road name would imply, we got stuck behind a slow moving group of Hogs...and a Goldwing trike. They slowed us down for a couple of miles before they pulled into a turnout. Good timing for us.

More curves on 23:

We then headed east for a while on 16...more of the same fun road stuff. Passing another group of HDs:

We then headed north on 21 to Kingman and then west on 74. Hw74 had been recently paved, and it was the smoothest pavement I think I've even ridden. As the old man (Eddie Murphy) said at the barber shop on "Coming to America": this is beautiful...what is this, velvet?

We rejoined 23 heading north to Huntsville. It was getting to be late afternoon by that point, so we needed to stop and consult the charts to see where to end up for the night. A few more curvy roads enroute to Harrison seemed like a good idea, which would put us into town right at sunset. We headed east on 412 for a while, which wasn't as much fun since it's a busier road and there was some afternoon traffic. The traffic evaporated while heading south on 103 for a few fun miles, and then northeast on 43 for the last few miles in Harrison. It was a beautiful evening ride with a lot of curves and no traffic after leaving 412. I kept the camera stowed since I needed to keep my eyes out for critters on the shoulders. Luckily we didn't see any forest rats. We topped the tanks and pulled into the Hampton Inn just as the sun was setting. Perfect timing. We stowed our gear and walked over to Colton's Steakhouse for dinner. The chow was pretty good, but the beer selection...lame. Bud Light in a bottle was about the best they could do. Not cool when I've been drinking mostly IPAs for the past few years. Back to the room, get the GPS programmed for the next day, and hit the sack.

Day #7, 11/5

Harrison to Mountain Home AR

502 miles

The plan for the day was pretty much the same as yesterday...gold/red-rated Butler roads, and connect them with as many orange-rated roads as possible. The map showed a lot of highlighted roads in south central Missouri as well, so we figured we'd head north and hit a few of them and then work our way back into northern Arkansas by sunset.

We headed out of town on 43, backtracking on the same road we'd come in on the night before. It looked like it would be a good day for riding:

We rode through Ponca and headed east on 74. Gold-rated, lots of fun. Just before reaching Jasper, we headed south on 327. The map shows it as paved, but the Garmin showed the southern section to be unpaved. We all know how reliable the Garmin maps are, so we pressed on anyway. It was a great road, paved all the way south to join up with 7. The Garmin was wrong...imagine that! Then north on 7, and east on 374. More gold-rated stuff:

We took 123 north to 65, then a bit east to 235 which took us into Yellville. Then it was a few boring miles east on 412, north on 126 and 5 across the border into Missouri. East of Gainesville we joined 181 to N (county road N? I've never seen roads named with just a single letter), 95 north to Vanzant, 76 to Willow Springs. We topped the tanks there and grabbed a quick snack at McDonalds. That's a lame spot for a road trip lunch, but it was right by the gas pumps and doesn't take any time at all. Then 137 north to 17, then east to join 106 into Eminence. I had read on the forum that Hwy 19 near Eminence was a lot of fun, and there are several sections of gold-rated roads in the area, so I had a loop to the north laid out. We headed north on 19, which was just fantastic...smooth pavement, really fun high speed sweepers. Then west on KK to join the gold-rated K to the north.

At this point, it was the Butler Map that lead us astray along with the Garmin. We headed east on BB, which shows as paved all the way over to 19...we were about two miles down the road when the beautiful pavement suddenly ended and a rather rough-looking gravel continued on into the distance. Luckily the transition was easily spotted as we approached, so it wasn't an "oh shit" moment with heavy braking at the end. It was more of a "WTF??" moment. I didn't feel like tackling gravel, so we headed back to K and then looped around to join up with 19 again. It was annoying having to turn back, but if we hit our first turn-back on Day #7, were much better off compared to the previous Spring trip where there were multiple turn-backs in the first few days.

We rode 19 south back to Eminence, having a great time with the sweepers along the way. Then we took 106 a few miles to the east to head south on H...yet another nice road rolling through the countryside. We pulled into Winona late in the afternoon. We needed to look at the map again to see where to end up for the night. I wanted to hit Push Mountain Road the following morning, and Mountain Home is just a few miles north of there. I plotted a route and it showed M.H. to be 110 miles away. Easy-peasy.

We had only covered 170 miles since the last fuel stop, but we didn't want to stretch the fuel that far...so we topped off again and hit the road for the final stretch of the day. We continued south on 19 to Thayer, then 142 west to 395 which took us south across the border back into Arkansas...more nice curvy roads through the rolling hills dotted with houses and small farms. At Salem, we joined 412/62 for the last 35 miles into Mountain Home, arriving right at sunset. The timing always seems to work out pretty well like that. As usual, we topped the tanks and consulted Google Maps for a hotel with chow nearby. As luck would have it, there was a Comfort Inn about 1 minute away with a sports bar/grill next door. Perfect! The chow was great, the waitress was really nice (cute, too!), and they had several good IPAs on tap. That's all I can ask for, really. I've stayed in some crappy motels and had popcorn and water for dinner, so anything beyond that is just top-notch in my book.

Here are some pics taken during that day...we hit so many roads that day, I just can't remember where each one was taken:

That's a nasty windshield!

Day #8, 11/6

Mountain Home to Mena AR

490 miles

We started the day with the realization that the previous day's ride had taken us as far north and east as we would go on this trip. It was time to start heading south and west toward home. We were over the hump. The day's plan was to take the scenic/curvy route back to Mena AR, which would put us into position to get to my mom's house in Denton TX the following day. We left the hotel just after sunrise with the temperature a very crisp 40 degrees. I sure do love heated grips! We headed south on 201 and kept a slow pace because of the cold tires and the low sun in our eyes making it difficult to look for forest rats. Finally, 13 miles out of town, we turned south on 341...Push Mountain Road. I had never ridden this one before, but after reading several ride reports describing its awesomeness, I knew we had to hit it. The pavement was a bit rougher than I expected initially, but as we headed south the pavement improved quite a bit. With the tires warmed up and the air temperature climbing, we picked up the pace to a normal level. PMR is just an outstanding road, with one beautiful sweeper after another, with a few tighter turns thrown in here and there.

The sad part is that the entire road is only 25 miles long. Someday I'll hit it again in the opposite direction.

We took a brief bio-break at the intersection of 341 and 14...that morning coffee needed to get out! We then headed east on 14, which is another beautiful road with great sweepers, but it just wasn't as much fun as PMR. At the next junction, 14 makes a turn to the south, but we continued straight ahead on 9 to the northeast. The curves tightened up considerably, but it was still a ton of fun. This section is actually gold-rated on Butler Maps, so that would explain it. Nice views from some of the open shoulders.

We joined 69 in Melbourne and headed SE for a bit before turning SW on 58. More sweepers through the rolling farmland, and then west on 14 to 66. Just west of Alco, we split to 74 and took that road to Marshall. From there, we headed back to the NW on 65 to rejoin 123 and head south. As many others on the forum have noted, 123 is one of the more entertaining roads in the area...the twisty bits just south of Mt Judea are just a hoot. At Sand Gap, we turned on to 123 hoping to take it all the way to Hagarville. I had ridden that section northbound some years ago, and it was a lot of fun. Well, it wasn't so much fun this time. The road had just been recently repaved (I think?) and it was covered with pea-gravel . After about of a mile of slipping around the corners and generally scaring the crap out of ourselves, we decided to abandon the idea of venturing any further south on 123. We carefully turned around and puttered slowly back to Sand Gap. Ok...now what? We stopped in the parking lot of the little store there and consulted the map. I debated taking 16 towards Witts Springs, but fuel was becoming an issue. I had no idea where any gas stations were out to the east. We decided to head south on 7 towards Dover. It wasn't a total loss, because 7 has a lot of nice sweepers, but it's just not as much fun as 123. More traffic too...for a while we were stuck behind a lumbering behemoth of an RV. We finally got around that bastard and rolled into Dover on reserve, with 247 miles on that tank.

After a quick break, we headed NE on 27, and then east on 16 all the way to Clinton. I can't remember exactly why I routed us out this direction, but the lines on the Butler map looked interesting and we had time to do it while still reaching Mena by sunset.

We then headed SW on 95 to join 124 to the west, and then south on 105. The route suddenly became a lot less fun as we crossed under I40 and worked our way west on some back roads trying to get around Russellville. It was late afternoon by that time, and the traffic was getting mildly annoying. We passed through Dardanelle and I briefly considered a quick ride to the top of Mt Nebo. I've never been up there, but the photos I've seen look quite spectacular. After considering the amount of daylight remaining, we pressed on. Mt Nebo will have to wait until next time. We headed south on 7 to Ola, and then a 55 mile stretch on 28 out to the west. After that it was a brief ride on 71/270/59 in the evening light into Mena.

Rolling into Mena, we hoped to stay at the same hotel and hit the same restaurant as we had done a few days prior. As we passed by Stache's Cookery, we noticed that the lights were out and the parking lot was empty. Huh. Closed on Sunday, apparently. That changes everything. After topping the tanks, we searched Google Maps as usual for a Plan B. We found the Budget Inn to the west and the Branding Iron Steakhouse about a 10 minute walk from the motel. The motel looked pretty basic as we rolled up. Only one or two cars in the parking lot. That should have been a clue. The "lobby" had a strong smell of curry as we signed in. The room was a dump, but at least it was only $55. At least it's not the worst I've ever stayed in...that would be a tie between a place in Alpine TX and the cat-piss motel in West Yellowstone MT. We hiked over to the Branding Iron, where I had a pretty good chicken-fried steak and a few bottled brews. The waitress was really nice, and very chatty. It seemed like everyone we ran into in Arkansas was like that...except for the proprietor at the Budget Inn. He didn't seem very nice, for some reason. Maybe he just doesn't like us "biker" types.

Day #9, 11/7

Mena to Denton TX

372 miles

This was going to be a relatively short day of riding. We only needed to make it as far as Denton TX, just north of the Dallas area. That's where my mom lives, and if I passed through the area on a ride without stopping for a visit...there would be hell to pay. Plus, I figured we could get some laundry done and Mom would probably cook dinner for us, and I could borrow her car for a quick run to the beer store.

We left the hotel just before sunrise. Even at that early hour, there was a surprising lack of other cars parked at the motel. Another clue as to the quality of the place.

There was obviously no FCB at that dump of a motel, so we grabbed our morning coffee and snacks at the gas-n-sip down the road. After that, we headed westbound across the Talimena Scenic Byway. The weather had been crappy crossing that road a week prior, so this week the weather would be good, right? Wrong. More low clouds blocking any view of the fall colors that might be out there. But it's still a fun road, even with the deteriorating pavement.

We crossed over 259 and continued westbound on the TSB. At one turnout, the sun threatened to come out, and we could see some blue sky out there. It didn't last very long, however.

At the western terminus of the TSB, we joined 271 for a few miles west to Talihina. Some of these small OK towns have rather strange names. There were two more roads nearby that were highlighted on the Butler map, so I felt obligated to check them out. Of course it would be the last of the Butler routes we'd see until getting back into Texas Hill Country. Highway 82 to the north of Talihina was mildly entertaining, but not quite as much fun of some of the AR roads we'd been riding for the past few days. Then a few boring miles west on 270 to head south on 2. That road actually had some really fun curves, but that only lasted for about 20 miles. We joined 271 south to Antlers, where we stopped to top the tanks and grab a burger at Sonic. It was a bit early for fuel, but being a short day, that tank would easily take us the rest of the way into Denton.

We crossed the Red River into Texas south of Hugo and immediately turned west onto 197, where we would stick to small back roads as much as possible. A few miles later it started to sprinkle, so we stopped briefly to get the rain gear set up. Good thing we did that, because shortly thereafter the rain starting coming down in earnest. We stuck to the back roads in the rain as much as possible, but eventually we had to give up and join the main roads. The drainage was poor in some areas and hitting the puddles was getting to be somewhat hazardous. We worked our way over to Whitesboro on 82 and headed south. I wanted to ride by the farm I grew up on and see what it looked like currently, but the pavement on that road was so crappy that it looked like mud in the heavy rain. We bailed on that plan and stuck to the better pavement, eventually reaching I35 in the small town of Valley View. I went to school there from the 4th grade to the 9th grade (1978 to 1984). Geez, I'm getting old. It was strange to ride by the school on my trusty FJR, but the rain made it difficult to do much sightseeing. Normally I'd avoid the interstate as much as possible, but at that point the remaining 22 miles on I35 seemed like an easy way to end the day. It went smoothly until the traffic stopped near Sanger due to a rather nasty accident on the northbound lanes. Of course when there's a wreck northbound, the southbound traffic comes to stop as a show of solidarity to our brothers stuck in traffic on the other side. I've never figured out why that happens.

After 125 miles in the rain, we finally pulled into mom's neighborhood in the late afternoon. She had been watching us on the SPOT tracker and knew we were getting close (and she thought we were insane for riding in such crappy weather) so she left the garage door open for us. We were glad to be done even though it was a short day. Our gear was pretty damp, so we hung stuff up in the garage to drip dry.

Yeah, so Pete and I have matching rain jackets, shut up about it. I bought mine first and he liked the style and copied my great idea. Not that there's anything wrong with that. That's all I have to say about it. Mom was already working on dinner and she had invited my sister over to have dinner with us. That was really cool...I hadnt seen my sister in quite a while, and on one road trip I got to visit with my brother, sister, and my mom. Very productive for a motorcycle ride. Pete and I got some laundry going and then I made a beer run in the car. I think my brother finished off the beer supply on his last visit. We talked riding for a bit over dinner (my sister doesn't ride, but her boyfriend does, and she likes the Harley lifestyle. We tried our best to point out the errors in her way of thinking), and then of course the usual family-related chatter. Pete was a good sport and joined right in. That dude loves to talk. With a full belly and a good buzz, it was time to hit the sack.

That is a fine report!. You are putting in some big miles nearly every day. Considering the amount of curves, you make very good time on those roads. Thanks for sharing.

Day #10, 11/8

Denton to Fredericksburg TX

371 miles

This was going to be a relatively short riding day, similar to the previous days ride into Denton. The plan was to take back roads to either Fredericksburg or Kerrville, either of which would position us for an early morning assault on the Hill Country roads the next morning. We actually slept a bit later than usual. Instead of being on the road at sunrise, we woke up at sunrise. What a novel concept! And we all know what mothers like to do when the boys are visiting...make breakfast! Who am I to argue against such a thing? The big news of the day was the election, so of course politics was the topic while chatting that morning. We got the bikes loaded up, and donned the rain gear since it was still raining a bit, and more rain was forecast along the route. For that reason, the camera remained stowed for almost the entire day. There's not much scenic value where we were headed, anyway.

Mom loves it when I stop to visit when I'm on a road trip, and she really hates it when I have to leave so soon...but she understands that we have a lot of miles to cover to get home.

We started out heading west, wanting to avoid the mess of traffic and interstate highways around the Dallas/Ft Worth area. We topped the tanks after about 30 miles, since we skipped the gas station in the heavy rain the night before. We then started working our way south, taking every 2-lane Farm to Market road we could that took us in the general southerly direction. We passed through Weatherford and Granbury...riding through those towns made me miss being able to lane-split as I do at home. The downtown areas seem really well maintained, and of course they each had the beautiful old courthouse buildings right in the center of town. That seemed to be a popular feature in a lot of Texas towns.

We ditched the rain gear after a while, but the sun never peeked through the overcast cloud layer. At least the temps were nice and cool. After zig-zagging our way south on so many little roads, we pulled into Lampasas for a fuel stop and snack break. It was starting to sprinkle again, so the rain gear got dragged out...again. Heading south again, we jumped onto some REALLY small county roads with rather questionable pavement. Not as much fun in the light rain, of course, but we pressed on. West of Burnet, we did a scenic loop along the eastern side of Buchanan Lake, and then through the state park south of the dam. Just north of Kingsland, we turned onto another back road heading west to join up with the main road south of Llano. We only made it a mile to the west when we came upon a sheriff's deputy blocking traffic. The road was a low-water crossing over a riverbed that usually only has a trickle of water. After all the heavy rain in the area, the trickle had swelled into a rather fast-moving river that completely washed over the roadway, and was about ¼ mile across. There was a big jacked-up Ford F350 coming across from the other direction, but the water was up to his bumper. That would NOT be a good time on the FJR. We chatted with the deputy for a few minutes (and as it turns out, he was also an FJR rider, a 2005 model...he wanted to hear about our trip), and then turned around and headed for Plan B. That was only the second turn-back so far on the trip, so I wasn't complaining too much.

We back tracked a mile and turned north to 29, which took us west into Llano. There's another Texas town with a beautiful old courthouse building right in the center. The clouds had cleared up a bit, and the sun was getting pretty low, so we needed to keep moving. Heading south on 16, we branched off to 965 to take a quick peek at the Enchanted Rock. It was so late in the day, the parking lot was empty. We obviously didn't have time to do any climbing, but we caught the last rays of sunlight hitting the big rock.

After that it was a quick dash down to Fredericksburg in the rapidly waning light, keeping an eye out for forest rats along the way. I saw a few, but they were well away from the road. We rolled into town and headed for the WalMart that I had located on the Garmin. It was time for an oil change. We were 4700 miles into the trip, and my oil had 4800 miles on it. I know that it would be perfectly fine to continue running the oil until I got home, but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to the 5000 mile oil change interval...it makes the math easier, and I hate math. Plus, I had the tools and filters with me. All we needed was oil, drain pans, and some paper towels. We parked right outside the auto service bays and went in to buy the supplies. Of course it started misting while we worked on the bikes under the building lights. Flashlights come in handy sometimes.

While letting the oil drain, the shop manager came out to see what was going on. We thought he might give us a hard time about doing our maintenance there, but he actually just wanted to see the bikes and talk motorcycles. He owned a Yamaha cruiser of some sort, and he lamented about not being able to ride as much as he would like. While on many of these road trips, strangers will frequently approach and ask about the bikes and our trips. From the men, I sometimes get a slight sense of envy...like they really wished they could be out doing something cool like a multi-week moto tour. I have to admit, it doesn't suck! I also greatly appreciate being at a point in my life where I can take the time off work to do these trips, and a super-awesome wife who doesn't give me a hard time about it. She actually encourages me to get out and ride. She knows how much touring means to me. I don't thank her as often as I should.

The work took just under an hour. We got the used oil dumped just as the shop guys were locking up for the night, and we donated the drain pans to anyone who wanted them. Then we topped the tanks and headed for the Super Duper 8 hotel on Main Street. Then it was a 10 minute walk down the street to Fredericksburg Brewing Company. That's my kind of layover town, right there. The chow was good, and the beer was outstanding. The TVs were all set to Fox News for the latest coverage of the election. I noticed during the trip that while in TX, AR, and MO, the TVs always seem to be set to FNN. You don't see that as much when touring out in the western states, especially CA, OR, and WA. Back at the hotel, I got a route programmed for the following day, and I stayed up 'till around midnight watching the election coverage. The next thing I knew, the damn alarm was going off...

Day #11, 11/9

455 miles

Fredericksburg to Marfa TX

Woke up an hour before sunrise, and of course it was raining again. That's a wonderful way to start the day. I turned on the news to see the surprising election results. Even with the rain, however, we were both in a good mood. We hit the rather sparse FCB at the hotel, got the rain gear on and headed out into the weather. The plan was to reach Marfa just before sunset.

We rode south towards Kerrville in the steady rain, but at least the traffic was light and the pavement was in good shape. From Kerrville we headed west on 39, which would be a fun road running along a river...but not so much fun with standing water in many of the corners. When 39 ended we headed north and then west again to join 336 at the northern end. We wouldn't hit all Three Sisters again, but we could at least hit two of them, 336 and 337. At Leakey, we stopped for a break at the Frio Canyon Moto Stop. It was too early for lunch, but we figured it couldn't hurt to have a hot chocolate or coffee. It was around 10am when we pulled in, and of course we were the only bikes they had seen so far that day. It was so dead, the staff even told us to park our bikes on the patio to keep them out of the rain. Not a Harley in sight.

This is supposed to be fun, isn't it? It still beats a day at work, however.

After a short break, we continued on 337 to Camp Wood, then south and west to Brackettville. Normally 337 would be a really fun twisty ride, but the rain kept coming down and we had to putter through the tighter corners. Not as much fun as I had hoped. We stopped in Del Rio for fuel, and of course it was still raining. In Del Rio. I didn't think it ever rained there. We just couldn't catch a break, it seemed. We pressed on to the northwest on 90. One weird thing about riding in the rain...I seemed to stay more alert in the mid-afternoon, when I would usually be fighting the sleepies on a boring road like that. I guess the potential threat of hitting puddles and plowing through the spray from passing trucks keeps one wide awake. Finally, around Sanderson, the rain began to let up and eventually stop. We kept the rain suits on though, since we just didn't trust Mother Nature at all anymore. That was 330 miles of non-stop rain riding. Absolutely not cool.

We stopped at the Marfa Lights viewing area to read some of the informational signs posted, but obviously it was too early to see any of the lights. That will have to wait until some other time. At that point, I just wanted to get to the hotel and have a beer. We rolled into Marfa, topped the tanks, and got to the Paisano just before sunset. We were damn glad to be there!

We got a regular room this time instead of the bro-mantic suite like the week prior. I didn't care. All I need is a bed and a shower. We spread all the gear out to dry and then wandered downstairs to Jett's Grill. I had the burger that Pete had been raving about all week. He was right...it was awesome. And the Texas-brewed IPA on tap was awesome as well. Maybe everything just tastes better after a 450 mile day with 300+ in the rain. Two more days to go. I'd like to request no more rain, please.

It's been a while since I've ridden hill country, Texas. I like it good enough, but there's not much of it, and the ride to and from is not very good for me. None the less, if one is passing through that area....

Looking forward to the last two days!

Day #12, 11/10

Marfa to Globe AZ

659 miles

We were up early again to continue the push for home. We got downstairs just as the $4 breakfast burritos were being made up. It was a cool overcast morning, but at least it wasn't raining...and the radar images didn't show any rain nearby, so I was hoping to stay dry that day. We headed north retracing our route from the previous week up to Fort Davis and the observatory. Since it was dry, I could get a few pics on westbound on Highway 118:

We bypassed the observatory this time and continued on 118 all the way up to I10. The initial plan was to stay on I10 until reaching Las Cruces, which would have been about 210 miles of sheer boredom.

While heading westbound I was scrolling around on the Garmin looking for an alternative. Found it...after only 35 miles of interstate, we exited at Van Horn and headed north on 54. That turned out to be a decent choice. Good pavement, decent scenery, and it wasn't I10. It would add a few miles to the route, but that was a sacrifice we were willing to make. Hwy 54 ended at 180, which we took westbound towards El Paso. Hwy 180 was much more desolate, and the scenery wasn't that great...but again, it wasn't I10. We stopped for fuel in El Paso, figuring that 258 miles was enough for that tank.

After a quick snack, we joined Loop 375 around El Paso and rejoined I10 northwest of town. Northbound on I10 I realized that the wind was in our favor...we didn't have to suffer through the stench of the cattle yards along the west side of the road as we did the previous week. Bonus! North of Las Cruces we exited the interstate and stuck to two-lane roads for the rest of the day. We took 185 up through Hatch, then 26 west to 27 and north to 152. Easy roads that we'd traversed on the way eastbound. Nothing terribly exciting. The fun factor increases quite a bit on 152, except for the gravel repairs we had seen previously.

Great view from a turnout near the top of Emory Pass:

Looking down below to the east, you can see the road snaking its way up the hillside:

We rolled through Silver City in the mid-afternoon. I couldn't think of any fuel being available between S.C. and Safford, so we topped off the tanks just a bit early. We continued to the northwest on 180 and then west on 78 with the low afternoon sun in our eyes. There are some fun curves on that stretch of road, so we hoped for shadows to block the sun at the appropriate times. We crested the mountain range near the NM/AZ border and started down the western slope. No hiding from the sun at that point:

As the road snaked around we had the sun behind us for a short stretch:

And then back into the shadows behind some low hills:

The road straightened out and we joined 191 heading west towards Safford. The sun was gone for good at that point:

That was the last sunset of the trip. I always have mixed feelings when a road trip is nearing the end. Having been on the road for 12 days, I missed my wife and my dog, and I'm ready to get home to see them. On the other hand, I enjoy these trips so much, that part of me wants to just keep riding. So many roads, so little time. Oh, and then there's that whole job thing that I have to do to be able to afford these road trips. Gotta work for The Man to pay for gas and tires and motels and...

One last pic...there wouldn't be any need for the camera on the last day.

It got dark as we rolled into Safford. We stopped for a few minutes to decide what to do. Stay here for the night or press on for a while in the dark? We both felt pretty good and thought another 80 miles into Globe would be do-able. We switched to clear visors and kept on going. We did this exact same stretch of road in the dark on Day #1, but I knew from previous trips that we weren't really missing anything scenery-wise. We topped the tanks as we rolled into Globe and found a motel. Normally for dinner on the last night of a trip, I'll go big with a steak or pork chop...but no such luck this time. The only place close to the motel was a little mom-n-pop Mexican restaurant. The chow was good, and there was a LOT of it. And Dos Equis Amber in a bottle really tied it all together after 659 miles in the saddle that day.

Day #13, 11/11

Globe to Palm Springs CA

371 miles

This was going to be an easy (and relatively boring) day...a straight shot home with one fuel stop. We hit the motel FCB and headed out just after sunrise. The skies were crystal clear and the temp was a brisk 40 degrees. There are a few good curves on 60 as you work your way down the mountain towards Superior, and luckily there was very little traffic that early in the morning. As we approached the eastern 'burbs of Phoenix, the morning traffic started picking up a bit. Luckily we made pretty good time getting across Phoenix before the worst rush-hour log jams. Once west of Goodyear, we settled into the boring drone towards home. Remembering some paving work in I10 east of Quartzsite on day #1, we took a brief detour to the north to join 60 which took us back to I10, but hopefully around any roadwork. We pulled into Quartzsite to top the tanks. We had enough fuel to press on to Blythe, but the bladders weren't going to stand for that. We had been on the bikes for 228 miles nonstop, and that morning coffee needed to get out! After that it was an easy 140 mile run to get home. We crossed the Colorado River back into California and the land of lane-splitting.

It was early afternoon when I pulled into my neighborhood and Pete split off for his. With the trusty FJR parked safely in the garage, I patted the tank and thanked it for getting me home. The wife was at work, but the dog seemed happy to see me. Unpacking the side bags was all the work I was going to do after that. The dead bugs and filth would have to wait for a later time. Overall it was a great trip. I saw some familiar roads, and quite a few new ones. It was all new stuff for Pete. No ambulance rides or performance awards. The biggest downsides were 600+ miles in the rain, and way too many miles droning on I10. But even riding in the rain is still pretty fun. Now it was time to resume normal life...took the car to get it washed and picked up some dinner to bring home for when the wife returned from work. Yep, she was happy to see me.

The trip totaled 6180 miles over 13 days, for an average of 475 mi/day, consuming 141 gallons of fuel. And I got those new stickers added to the V46 lid!

Thanks for reading. Next time I hope to not take five or six months to get something posted.

It's been a while since I've ridden hill country, Texas. I like it good enough, but there's not much of it, and the ride to and from is not very good for me. None the less, if one is passing through that area....
You got that right. Hill Country has a lot of fun roads and beautiful scenery, but I think you could hit all of it in two days. I would never launch from here just to ride Hill Country. I just hit it while passing through to someplace with a lot more to see...like NW Arkansas and the Ozarks!

Well I enjoyed the whole report. Toward the end, I was selfishly paying closer attention to your road selections as we are looking at routes to YFO now, and any insight along with pictures is helpful.

I certainly get what you were sharing re: mentality on the last day. Balancing the cerebral scale between missing your loved ones and you thirst for the road. Like you, around day 12-ish, the scales for me tip toward home.

Iggy, I sure hope you are backing up the R/R board. The information here is golden.