Replace rear shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Rider

Reaction score
Just replaced my rear shock on my '08 with an OEM from a 2015. The new one has about 40 clicks on the adjuster. Is that how it's supposed to be? My 2008 only had about 20.

Just replaced my rear shock on my '08 with an OEM from a 2015. The new one has about 40 clicks on the adjuster. Is that how it's supposed to be? My 2008 only had about 20.
Go look in your '08 manual. It's the same in '15. Or click on owners manual. Pages 42 and 55 respectively. Clicks vary, but not the adjustment range .

Last edited by a moderator:
I did that but Yamaha is known for using some info from past years and not correcting it when needed. I figured this might be one of those times. I figured someone with that year bike may have firsthand knowledge about the subject and know for sure. The 2015 shock I installed looks and feels ok but there were so many more clicks for adjustment it had me wondering.

I did that but Yamaha is known for using some info from past years and not correcting it when needed. I figured this might be one of those times. I figured someone with that year bike may have firsthand knowledge about the subject and know for sure. The 2015 shock I installed looks and feels ok but there were so many more clicks for adjustment it had me wondering.
Really? Odd you didn't mention that when you first posted.....
rolleyes.gif

And what info has Yamaha not corrected what year(s)? I don't remember that alleged issue before.

And since their statement in the owners manual specifically states number of clicks vary--why would a direct count from a '15 owner answer anything since the manual still says they vary amongst supposedly the same year?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have mentioned I already looked at manuals online. I guess I missed where the number of clicks could vary. Honestly didn't read it that closely but doubled seems like a large amount.

Huh...I didn't know the clicks can vary either, and I also read the manual. Oh well, I have a Wilbers, so it doesn't matter anymore. Lol.

Those Gen3 shocks are supposed to be nice!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="HotRodZilla" data-cid="1359707" data-time="1490503883"><p>

Huh...I didn't know the clicks can vary either, and I also read the manual. Oh well, I have a Wilbers, so it doesn't matter anymore. Lol.<br />

<br />

Those Gen3 shocks are supposed to be nice!</p></blockquote>

I heard that too. Didn't have the money for an aftermarket and mine had 47k on it, mostly 2-up. Figured it was time to replace. With the gen lll being cheaper than gen ll, I figured I would go that route.

So, does anyone know the difference (other than a different number) between the 2013-15 and the 2016? Perhaps the same spec but a different supplier?

The following is from a discount on-line parts place. Apparently, the 2007 rear shocks are made out of gold.

Shock Absorber Assy, Rear 1MC-22210-50-00 $388.76 2016

Shock Absorber Assy, Rear 1MC-22210-10-00 $468.01 2013 to 2015

Shock Absorber Assy, Rear 3P6-22210-10-00 $651.96 2007 for comparison

I had about 62k on my '08 and noticed the shock was worn. I started scraping bottom going over a speed bump

that I had to pass over frequently. I transferred the Penske off my retired '05 and am VERY pleased with the difference.

When I was at Traxxion having services, I spoke to the mechanic about the new ES models and how upgrading to a

Penske would work out. I was told (At this time) the upgrade would lose the ES abilities. Its nice to hear the new shocks

are better on the newer models, but I absolutely love what the Penske does to the bike.