Banff and Jasper July 2nd to July 9th.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puppychow

RAWR
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Banff and Jasper in July.

Leaving home here in CA on July 1st, and have to be back home by July 11th.

Should be in Canada on probably July 2nd and then cross back into the USA on July 9th.

Any local knowledge shared w.r.t roads, attractions, food, etc etc will be greatly appreciated!

Anyone wants to join me? :)

Sam

Where are you planning on crossing the border? The beginning of July is a busy time in Banff/Jasper, so expect lots of traffic and full campgrounds and hotels.

I did a ride to NorCal last year and am happy to send you my routes.

Will cross into Canada from Porthill, Idaho. I expect the parks will be jammed full of people, but since those are the days I am getting off - sucks to be me, but at least I will be there.

Although, any tips/tricks to get around or avoid the worst of the traffic would be appreciated.

That will be one of the busiest weekends EVER for National Parks in Canada.

Canada Day weekend (July 1).

150th birthday celebrations.

Free Parks Canada pass available to anyone who requests one on-line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be in Banff and Jasper July 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th it seems like.

From what I am hearing - that is a very bad idea this year? :)

I concurr with RossKean - as a Canuck living in the west, we are all about getting out in the relatively brief summer, and having kids of our own, also know that early July can be cwazy busy as all us urbanites escape in the Family Truckster 4000 (mini-vans, pick-ups, trailers, etc) inmediately after school lets out. Combined with our 150th parks birthday celebration AND tourists from 'Murica, Japan, Germany, everywhere, its likely to become intimate.

Good luck my friend.

From Creston, I'd recommend taking the 3A to Kootenay Bay (best ride in BC), then cross Kootenay Lake on the ferry, take Hwy 31 to Kaslo, 31A to New Denver, 6 to Nakusp, then to Penticton, 97 to Kamloops, 5 to Valemount, 16 to Jasper, 93 to Lake Louise, 1A to Banff, 1A to 40, 40 south through Kananaskis, 22 south to Crowsnest Pass, then 3 back to Creston.

This will be a busy year but it is what it is....

If you are OK with skipping Jasper and Banff, I'd recommend this ride:

From Creston, take the 3A to Kootenay Bay (best ride in BC), then cross Kootenay Lake on the ferry, take Hwy 31 to Kaslo, 31A to New Denver, 6 to Nakusp, then to Penticton, 97 to Kamloops, 5A to Merritt, 97c to Cache Creek, 99 to Lillooet, Pemberton, Whistler and to Vancouver, then ride back down the coast.

Kootenay Bay ferry (and associated roads) are spectacular!! There will be lineups for the ferry so you may want to try this mid-week rather than on the weekend. I definitely would NOT skip Jasper and Banff (as well as Kootenay National Park) but make sure you have reservations (hotel or campgrounds) - especially for July 1-3 and 7-9. British Columbia is a fantastic place for riding!!!

I FINALLY got to ride through Banff last summer during the Butt Lite. It has been on my bucket list for so very long, and was during the same time frame you're contemplating. If you've never ridden up there, in my opinion you shouldn't miss the opportunity. If you're expecting a crowd, then begin your ride up at the crack of dawn. It'll most likely be quite chilly though. I did an up and back and it was incredible. The return ride was a bit more congested though, but nothing like you might find in Yosemite or Yellowstone at peak tourist season. Lake Louise was incredibly crowded in the afternoon. Maybe hit that early the next morning, time permitting. Although I'd have to say it still didn't quite meet up to what I was expecting.

You'll love the Canadien Rockies. Have a great ride.

It was my good fortune to ski patrol, hike, climb and explore the Rockies for many years. Some of the bars in Jasper and Banff have drinks named after me. My all time favorite spot is Lake O'Hara just off Hwy 1, a few miles west of Lake Louise. It is a 5-6 mile hike into the Lake or reserve a seat early on a parks bus which would give more time at the lake, the falls and surrounding high valleys. It is SPECTACULAR. Stay overnight if you can.

Lake Louise itself has become a jam packed nightmare of Asian tour buses, so go very early and perhaps hike along the north shore of the lake a couple of miles. Banff will be very busy.

Many drop dead views along the Banff-Jasper Highway, including the Columbia Icefields which have receded enormously since my days of climbing the icefields into Snowdome and Mt Athabasca. Pretty hard to get very far up nowadays without taking a damn snow cat contraption for $. Many superb falls that you need to park and walk a short distance along the trails to view.

I try to return every few years to re visit some of my favorites and will never tire of the beauty.

Have a terrific time!

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Here are my tentative dates/places, already have places booked here, but please share any comments on these places to stay and/or recommendations?

July 3rd Nelson
July 4th Radium HS
July 5th Radium HS
July 6th Hinton
July 7th Hinton
July 8th Fernie

I will start drafting routes (thanks for those suggestions as well), and start posting snapshots for critiques and improvements also soon!

Enjoy this trip - that is one area I've always wanted to see. Hopefully, get to take in the Calgary Stampede as well.

I've stayed 2 or 3 times at the Big Horn Motel in Radium. https://www.bighornmotel.ca/

Clean and cheap. MAKE SURE you go to the hot springs in Radium, they are really nice and feel great after a day of riding.

Porthill ID crossing is my preferred--it's a breeze and I don't know I've ever seen more than a couple of cars there, so good choice.

The ride up through Jasper is well worth it. If you have specific questions on some roads PM me as I have probably been up there 8 times in the last 4-5 years. I generally do a big BC/AB ride 2x/year, as I can ride a long and enjoyable day all the way up to or over the border from home
smile.png

Thank you for all the suggestions!
Here are my tentative dates/places, already have places booked here, but please share any comments on these places to stay and/or recommendations?

July 3rd Nelson

July 4th Radium HS

July 5th Radium HS

July 6th Hinton

July 7th Hinton

July 8th Fernie

I will start drafting routes (thanks for those suggestions as well), and start posting snapshots for critiques and improvements also soon!
Nelson. Very cool mountain town where Steve Martin shot the film Roxanne, Great nearby riding including a super road between Kaslo and New Denver about 50 miles north. Great ski town. Good food.

Radium. Excellent hot springs, excellent golf and skiing and very nice ride east to Hwy 1.

Hinton. My very favorite dirt riding area is about 30 miles south of here near Cadomin.

Fernie. Stop at the visitor center in Elkford and get a pic of your bike next to the huge ore truck. Fernie become a top ski town with super terrain. Cool town. Very scenic riding east thru Crows Nest Pass. Stop at the Frank Slide visitor center to see how half a mountain slid into the town and buried it.

I love this whole area of the Eastern Kootenays and the Rockies.

I'd suggest: spend an extra day in Nelson and only one night in Radium. Other than the hotsprings, there isn't much in Radium. Nelson area has great riding.

You're in for a terrific ride Sam. Even though it is the busiest time of the year (where is it not in July!) you just have to take your time and enjoy the views. It is a spectacular route from Banff to Jasper. I'll look forward to your pics to reminisce. I rode this in '04 and considered it one of my top 5 scenic rides of all time. I also stayed in Hinton and camped at the KOA. On the way back down I stopped over in Revelstoke and rode the little mountain road to the top. Had a nice view overlooking the town below.

Looks like there will be advice a-plenty. Just to throw some random stuff out there for you to consider:

Stayed one night in Nakusp, perfect little town right on a huge lake and had an excellent meal sitting at a great bar at the K2 Rotor Lodge.

Hopping off the ferry first after crossing to Shelter Bay and making the run with no cars up to Revelstoke on 2 is tough to beat.

Don't avoid HWY 1 just because it's the big road. Revelstoke to Donald is as pretty as anything you'll ever see and the road is a lot of fun.

Latest posts