Self driving car hits motorcycle cop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah.....just another part of the "BRAVE NEW WORLD"?????
uhoh.gif
uhoh.gif

As soon as my computer runs for 6 months with zero hiccups, I'll believe computers can drive my car.

Tesla's "auto pilot" is self driving car. Its super fancy cruise control intended to keep a the car at speed, tracking with traffic and in its lane.

I still don't understand why we need self driving cars. Why not start with something easy, like maybe self flying planes for politicians only?
BUT? Look at your morning commute, Think of all the cell phone users, coffee drinkers, sandwich eaters, and hair stylist you see on the road with you.

Don't we already have self driving cars?

The tesla automatically goes to manual mode when you leave the freeway. Operator error, as usual. Good on the cop for his quick bail skills, I hope to never need to do it.

The other night I was on my way home, getting onto the freeway, just as it was getting dark. The freeway on ramp there, is a lane that leads to the next freeway exit. As I was accelerating, the guy on my left, moved right, hard. His tail lights were at my driver's door. Well, since he ran me off the road, I pulled him over. He told me I wasn't there, because his sensors didn't indicate anything. Problem is, he didn't even bother to look. I don't know how I avoided him. We had a long conversation about how he is supposed to pay attention, because his stupid gimmicky car obviously can't do it for him. Then I issued him a citation for careless driving.

Anyone stupid or naive enough to think these chees-dick cars being put on the road are anywhere near dealing with today's road issues needs to have their empty head examined. I'll tell you what, let's figure out how to send a vehicle into space without blowing it up, and then I'll give some credence to cars that can self drive. We're not nearly as far along as Google and Uber would like us to think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology has been making humans stupid since the CD player was invented, well some people. Attention spans and the lack of the need to think and process is my point.

I guess that driver was a little surprised and will pull his head out going forward, bottle it and pass it around.

From the article: "Experts predict a shift from driver to vehicle liability as the market for autonomous cars evolves."

You lawyers on here have to love that little gem. How the hell can you actually make a piece of hardware liable????

I've never understood self-driving cars. You don't want to drive for yourself, then call a cab or an Uber, or get on the damn bus. Hell, WALK!

If your autonomous car kills or injures someone I know, it ain't the car I'm going after, M#^@*$-F!&@#*!!!!

Well ya know, since you can watch a movie on your in dash screen nowadays, cars better learn to drive themselves.

IMO, everybody that gets a drivers license should have to do 1 months worth of riding a scooter before they get their license. That way they get a 1st hand look at the morons they are about to become.

Da Wolf

Anyone stupid or naive enough to think these chees-dick cars being put on the road are anywhere near dealing with today's road issues needs to have their empty head examined.
Well, we certainly know that humans can't deal with the roads...to the tune of something like 40,000 deaths a year in N America!

We need some kind of technology to step in and help.

Might not be ready for prime time yet but will be soon, and I for one, can't wait. Perhaps not fully automatic but, at least, something to control the cars on a freeway.

All this stop and go traffic bull shit is strictly caused by humans and our traffic problems would run smoother with some non emotional intervention.

From the article: "Experts predict a shift from driver to vehicle liability as the market for autonomous cars evolves."
You lawyers on here have to love that little gem. How the hell can you actually make a piece of hardware liable????

I've never understood self-driving cars. You don't want to drive for yourself, then call a cab or an Uber, or get on the damn bus. Hell, WALK!

If your autonomous car kills or injures someone I know, it ain't the car I'm going after, M#^@*$-F!&@#*!!!!

Trust me, you are correct, the attorneys love this one! It's not the hardware that will be held liable, but the manufacturer of the hardware (and software) that will be held liable. The attorneys salivate over this because this gives them the deep pockets they're always after. (See Firestone or the other numerous examples of vehicle manufacturer liability cases). But don't think the driver is getting off Scott free when they sue Ford and Intel instead, because the driver and the owner of the vehicle are going to be named in the lawsuit as well under the theory of negligent entrustment. As someone said earlier, it's a brave new world we are entering.

Autonomous cars are going to be a reality, as infrastructure growth is not keeping pace with population growth, autonomous cars are one of many technology solutions we will see to help combat things like congestion. While I enjoy driving and riding, I don't enjoy stop and go traffic. Columbia University as estimated that autonomous cars will increase traffic traffic flow by at least 300%. That sure would have been nice for those 1.5 hour commutes to go 12 miles when I lived in Seattle. I now live in MN, my commute here is twice the distance and half the time. This includes using the carpool lane in Seattle.

Tesla's "auto pilot" is self driving car. Its super fancy cruise control intended to keep a the car at speed, tracking with traffic and in its lane.
This one puzzles me. I rode with an old buddy who bought a Tesla and watched him exclaim the virtues of all the gadgets of auto-adjusting cruise control, lane control, auto lane changes, etc.... then proceeded to tell me and demonstrate that he can stream the Warriors game on the big "control panel" in the center console.

Who approved that Musk can use our public streets for his testing? It scared the crap out of me that the driver was totally preoccupied with telling me how great all these auto features are all the while not really knowing how robust it is.

Does anybody know where you could go to find accident rates and any real data on how many incidents have occurred while these myopic tech-savants were letting their cars be run autonomously?

Sorry - rant over.....

Autonomous cars are going to be a reality, as infrastructure growth is not keeping pace with population growth, autonomous cars are one of many technology solutions we will see to help combat things like congestion. While I enjoy driving and riding, I don't enjoy stop and go traffic. Columbia University as estimated that autonomous cars will increase traffic traffic flow by at least 300%. That sure would have been nice for those 1.5 hour commutes to go 12 miles when I lived in Seattle. I now live in MN, my commute here is twice the distance and half the time. This includes using the carpool lane in Seattle.
You know what else reduces congestion? More lanes. That's a sore subject for me since I live not too far from DC. It's a disaster of a place to drive. They have been working on Interstate 95 for over 60 years. Know how many lanes go in both direction now? Same number as 30 years ago, 3 each way. What have they spent the last 30 years doing? Putting HOV lanes in the middle that only go one direction at a time, meaning if you are going the opposite direction, you are screwed. However, using the same real estate to put 6 lanes going each direction would have solved the congestion problem decades ago. No self driving car is going to fix that level of congestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what else reduces congestion? More lanes. That's a sore subject for me since I live not too far from DC. It's a disaster of a place to drive. They have been working on Interstate 95 for over 60 years. Know how many lanes go in both direction now? Same number as 30 years ago, 3 each way. What have they spent the last 30 years doing? Putting HOV lanes in the middle that only go one direction at a time, meaning if you are going the opposite direction, you are screwed. However, using the same real estate to put 6 lanes going each direction would have solved the congestion problem decades ago. No self driving car is going to fix that level of congestion.
Counter-intuitively, more lanes makes traffic worse

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/