Mounting a Sena 20s on a Schuberth C3 Pro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacinRay

Living The Dream
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Schuberth C3 Pro and I'm looking for someone who has mounted a Sena 20s on theirs. I've found a lot of conflicting information on the web and I like to talk with someone who has this set-up.

Sena has a video that says you should use a stick-on mount and the Velcro mount boom mic. Web bike world shows the clamp mount and the attached boom mic. Honestly, neither set-up looks ideal. I don't want to drop $475 on the helmet if the com system is going to problematic.

If anyone is using the 20s with a C3 Pro, I'd love to hear from you.

I have a C3 Pro & 10s.

FWIW I used the dble sided tape that auto body shops use to attach trim to fill in the gap between the helmet and the black collar. That gives the Sena supplied tape a nice flat top to bottom surface to stick to. I dont see how you could use the clamp on mount.

I tucked the microphone in between the removable and non removable left cheekpad, just high enough to clear the chin flap when you close the helmet. (Right in line with the silver stud) About 50% of the mic surface is exposed. I thought it would be a pain, but its never moved nor gotten in the way in the last yr of use.

-Steve

I have the Sena 20 and a C3 Pro to mate up. I will be watching for feedback on the installation. Thanks, guys. ...Don

You Tube has some videos on this. If this one is not what you need, then there are others. I have a Sena on a C3. Pretty straightforward to do.

I have a C3Pro and a 20S. I found that the stick ons were unreliable (they came off every month or so), so I use the clamp on bracket. I had to make a small cut in the collar to make it work. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

RocketMoto recommends using a adhesive enhancer if you use the stick on mounts. I never tried those.

I have a C3Pro and a 20S. I found that the stick ons were unreliable (they came off every month or so), so I use the clamp on bracket. I had to make a small cut in the collar to make it work. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.
RocketMoto recommends using a adhesive enhancer if you use the stick on mounts. I never tried those.
I'd like to see a picture of the hard mount. I use a replacement adhesive, generally, when using stick-on applications. Thanks...now I have a youtube video to watch.

OP

Care and feeding of your C3 -

Get some very light oil, like sewing machine oil and apply a little bit to the cheekpad snaps and zippers.

Otherwise your sweat will weld the bits together, and its a giant pain to get everything apart.

As for the stick -on, I didn't use any enhancer, but did clamp the mount for 24 hrs before first use. And a well cleaned surface, Spray Nine followed by isopropyl alcohol.

-Steve

2017-03-30%2019.34.50-M.jpg

2017-03-30%2019.35.09-M.jpg

2017-03-30%2019.36.01-M.jpg

2017-03-30%2019.35.21-M.jpg

I hope you can see the cut - I cut it right where the reflective band meets the edge molding on the collar. I saw some videos where they put the clamp inside the molding by pulling out a section of the molding but when I did that, the collar kept falling out of the helmet, which was annoying as hell.

I added a Sena Tube camera to the other side of my helmet. Thought I would post a few pictures to help anyone out. The Tube has a clamp on mount that is very similar to the 20S.

First remove the collar and do a trial fit. The clamp backing plate needs to fit between the shell and the EPS liner. When I did this, I found that the plate shape (straight) caused the clamp to sit at a weird angle on the outside of the helmet (I appears to have been designed for a very vertical helmet side and the C3Pro is quite rounded. You want the clamp to sit flush with the outside of the helmet, with the rubber pad touching the helmet, so I marked the clamp where it exited the helmet and bent it in my vice:

2017-05-02%2022.56.56-M.jpg

Then, I assembled the clamp and measured the best place for it to sit. and then located that point on the liner. I cut a slit in the liner between the retention loop and the rest of the liner using a razor blade. Don't cut the retention loop and make sure it is seated in its channel.

Install the clamp through the liner and into the helmet

2017-05-02%2023.03.58-M.jpg

It is a good idea to stuff all the unsightly foam into the gap using a small screwdriver. Probably should have taken the photo after I did that rather than before. It will be covered up by the clamp but OCD me will always see it.

Install the clamp:

2017-05-02%2023.44.43-M.jpg

The screws that Sena includes are M3 x 10mm SHCS. It can be tough to get them started - it would be nice if Sena included something longer. I curse this every time I have to install one of these clamps. I ordered a few M3 x 15mm SHCS for next time.

You can see that the clamp doesn't completely close on the C3Pro but it hasn't caused me any issues with my 20S to date. I might put a drop of loctite blue on the threads to make sure that they don't back out. Don't over-torque the clamp - it is plastic and will break.