My new toy. Quicker than the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
Okay, well not faster but more agile through the twisties?

Last week I went out and dropped my tax refunds for then next 10 years on a new dual-sport. I had been playing with the idea for over a year now since there are just SO many trails to explore here on Vancouver island - trails that you could not access from some dorky "adventure tourer". I sat on the fence for so long because these bikes are ridiculously expensive, especially if they're street legal. I'm also restricted to a handful that are actually tall enough for me and have enough power to push my fat ass up a mountainside. That pretty much narrowed it down to a Husky, KTM or Honda XRL. I wanted a reliable and inexpensive ride too so that pretty much left only the Honda. My boss bought himself CRF 250 Rally last week and reminded me that we had a 'pact'; so, I actually bought a new one the next day - via text messaging no less - from a dealer on the mainland. There were only a handful of used ones popping up over the last 12 months and many of these were over 10 years old but still worth 80% of today's value. So, at 0.9% financing, it was a no-brainer.

Except for the highway trip home from the dealer, yesterday was my first time riding it. I wish I could kick myself...for not buying it sooner that is. This thing is SO much fun! I might even take a break from the FJ this year, (I can't believe I said that. I take it back!). Despite it being no where near as comfortable in any regard as the FJR, I spent a straight 6 hours riding yesterday. It's really serious fun and so different from what you get from sport touring.

Back to the topic. What surprised me the most with this bike was how nimble it felt. I don't mean light or sure-footed. Compared to expensive off road bikes, this is a heavy beast; I'm just used to the weight of the Yamaha. It's just that this bike felt like I could dust the FJ in the twisties with it. Not sure if it's an illusion or what. I have 100,000 miles of experience on the Yamaha and less than 100 on the Honda. I dropped several thousand on suspension last year on my FJ but I haven't even adjusted the shock on the new bike. I've been reading books on suspension, watching video tutorials on advanced riding and racing and constantly pushing my limits on the curves and yet the 'feeling' I had on the dual-sport yesterday was like I could navigate a go-cart track with ease. What gives? Is it just an illusion or are the dual sports capable of out-handling a precision machine like the FJR?

Whatever the reason, it sure is fun!

650%20day%201%20007a_zpsovyvmbhf.jpg

Oh yea. check this guy out. This is not me talking, just something I uncovered while doing my homework. He is actually referring to an XR650L - like the one I just purchased - not a KLR. I don't know what the author is riding:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one since 2005 and I was riding it yesterday. Yes I agree they are a lot of fun and a joy to ride. I love ripping it in the dirt also. On a wide open path not much will touch it. It will suck up what you ever you take it through. 12 inches of travel front and back. YAHOOOOOOOO!!!

There is a lot of information on the XR forum. Decorked mine and rejetted it. Modified the stock muffler for a louder grunt. Gotta love it.

Have fun,

Dave

Watching the old guy reminded me of being a young guy on a bored, stroked, cammed, balanced TT500 with shaved down knobby tires running the SoCal Canyons. Left many a sporty on the tarmac. Back then, it was fun, like going fishing to see who could be drawn to the bait.

Now I don't feel so good about it.

But it WAS fun.

You will love that bike!

Looks like fun...gotta confess, I've [recently] considered adding something like that to the stable.

Lots of places to explore with a DR or XR in the PNW!

--G

I rode Spearfish Canyon on my KLR today, knobbies and all, I've got to say I was as comfortable and quick on the KLR as I am on the FJR. Corner carving was great, and I rode 50 miles of dirt and gravel before I rode the canyon. There is a GS800A at the local BMW dealer, a 14 with lots of farkles that keeps calling to me. The FJR and the KLR would be about an even trade. So far I have resisted. It is possible I will arrive at YFO on a different bike.

Congratulations on your new BRP! I picked the bike (I've got a '12) for the very same reasons. As Dave said, there is lots of information on XR forums. I found the OEM tires to be surprisingly good on road - they won't last long though. If you do find yourself consistently riding trails I'd recommend getting a set of Dunlop D606s or equivalent tire. The bike feels WAY better off-road with a real dirt tire.

Brent

Congrats on the new steed. Those bikes are tough as nails and a blast for DS. With a few "uncorking" (easy) mods, you can gain a lot more smiles too!

As far as "quicker" than the FJR...that's a solid meh/maybe/not really. Sure its 400lbs lighter, so it's more nimble, but in situations where you need grip and suspension to handle curves, I wouldn't trust the XRL any further than I could throw it. The light weight, no fairings, and no windshield will trick your senses. I'll lug the FJR side to side all day before I trust the front end feel on the red beast. Glad to see you're having fun though. IMO nothing beats the dirt.

Congrats on the new steed. Those bikes are tough as nails and a blast for DS. With a few "uncorking" (easy) mods, you can gain a lot more smiles too!
As far as "quicker" than the FJR...that's a solid meh/maybe/not really. Sure its 400lbs lighter, so it's more nimble, but in situations where you need grip and suspension to handle curves, I wouldn't trust the XRL any further than I could throw it. The light weight, no fairings, and no windshield will trick your senses. I'll lug the FJR side to side all day before I trust the front end feel on the red beast. Glad to see you're having fun though. IMO nothing beats the dirt.
Yes, I think you're probably spot-on with my senses being fooled. The XLR is easier to toss around though and I have no fear of laying it down like I do with the FJ.

I'm really happy with this toy - and truly that's what it feels like. You buy a boat, big screen TV or shiny new FJR (black of course) and it's kind of like a reward or a proud moment. But a dirt bike as I'm approaching a half-century? That's just plain fun.

Okay, well not faster but more agile through the twisties?
Is it just an illusion or are the dual sports capable of out-handling a precision machine like the FJR?
Tight twisties, probably, sweepers, doubtful.

Only one way to know for sure is to time yourself through your favorite collection of turns. If it has many straights the FJR will burn it down but do you really full throttle from turn to turn? I suspect our perception comes from maintaining speed without the encumbrance of weight.

I've been shopping for a dual-sport myself. Gave up racing in the dirt back in 2008 after the third trip to the hospital.

Enjoying the ride up to the trails sound like a good way to get back into the dirt.

I've been shopping for a dual-sport myself. Gave up racing in the dirt back in 2008 after the third trip to the hospital.
Enjoying the ride up to the trails sound like a good way to get back into the dirt.
All I can say is I cannot believe how much I am enjoying it. Wish I bought it sooner.

Dual sports are the bees knees! I spent yesterday on my Beta with my son, a buddy and 350 of my closest friends riding in Carver's back yard. We rode in the Penguins Annual Hi-Mtn. Dual Sport ride https://www.penguinsds.com/

It rained for about the first hour or so, then the sky cleared and we rode single track (actual cow trails) on private land that is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on! Enjoy the new perspective, no windscreen, no fairing and knobbies!

BetaRH_zps8876ffbb.jpg

Yup. I can't say enough about it.

Installed some risers, bark busters and electronic tach yesterday and tomorrow I do my 600 mi service. I seem to look forward each day to coming home and going for a ride. I've dumped the bike at least a half dozen times already and, it already has - as do my shins - a few battle scars. But, that's why I bought it. The FJR I rub with a diaper. This bike hasn't even seen a garden hose yet.

I've seen the odd thread in the past discussing a secondary bikes and which one best compliments the FJer. The V-Strom is often seen on that list. But IMO, you need to go opposite end of the spectrum. the BRP does all the things the FJR cannot, and the FJ does all the things the dual-sport can't. Every time I ride one, i look forward to riding the other that much more.

Dual sports are the bees knees! I spent yesterday on my Beta with my son, a buddy and 350 of my closest friends riding in Carver's back yard. We rode in the Penguins Annual Hi-Mtn. Dual Sport ride https://www.penguinsds.com/ It rained for about the first hour or so, then the sky cleared and we rode single track (actual cow trails) on private land that is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on! Enjoy the new perspective, no windscreen, no fairing and knobbies!

BetaRH_zps8876ffbb.jpg
Teeter totter?
shok.gif

Dual sports are the bees knees! I spent yesterday on my Beta with my son, a buddy and 350 of my closest friends riding in Carver's back yard. We rode in the Penguins Annual Hi-Mtn. Dual Sport ride https://www.penguinsds.com/https://www.penguinsds.com/

It rained for about the first hour or so, then the sky cleared and we rode single track (actual cow trails) on private land that is about as much fun as you can have with your pants on! Enjoy the new perspective, no windscreen, no fairing and knobbies!

[img=[URL="https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/cajw_2007/Beta/BetaRH_zps8876ffbb.jpg%5D"]https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/cajw_2007/Beta/BetaRH_zps8876ffbb.jpg][/URL]
Teeter totter? :shok:
Well.....We were observing a number of successful crossings and just when I thought it might be a good idea, a guy fell off about 10' from the end, planted his front tire in the muck and got hit in the back by his 275+ lb. KTM. The local EMT's jumped up to offer aid, but he got out of the water with the help of some brave souls and seemed relatively ok. So, to answer your question.... not a chance!